Just worked a deal on this 69 Newport factory four color car.

J-MacsMopars

Reaction score
I just worked a deal on a rather unique car. Its a 69 Newport 2dr that is A9 Dark grey over Q4 turquoise interior with Black vinyl roof and wood grain side paneling. It has a 383 4bbl that ran when parked. Seems all the trim is there and in good shape except for one little piece at the front of the wood grain. The car also has a funky bumper guard on the front that I have never seen before. I have a pretty cool plan for this car, but can't really go in depth at this time. What do you all think? I hear that the wood grain was only put on around 200 cars? I don't know how true that is, but it should be a pretty cool looking car.

DSC00162_zps059953b9.jpg

DSC00163_zps1fdf3bfb.jpg

DSC00167_zpsc505aba4.jpg

DSC00168_zpsfdb72275.jpg

DSC00158_zps33ce89c3.jpg

DSC00038_zpscfb0993c.jpg

DSC00159_zpsf0db4dd2.jpg

Cool 'Sportsgrain" You don't see too many 69's compared to 68's. Lots of work ahead of you but it will be different.

AWESOME.
When I saw that car earlier my jaw dropped.
Congratulations ! ! !

So the car isn't red?

I think it will be a really cool car. It kind of looks red, lol. Hopefully I can pick it up in the next little while, I just need to find a place to put it.

Great find! I only know of two other 69 Sportsgrains one yellow/ beige and the other green. Neither had vinyl tops.

Congratulations, you will have quite some car after you restore it. By the way I think I see more than 4 colors on the car :)

Very cool find!

It'll look outstanding when you get it done!

I just worked a deal on a rather unique car. Its a 69 Newport 2dr that is A9 Dark grey over Q4 turquoise interior with Black vinyl roof and wood grain side paneling. It has a 383 4bbl that ran when parked. Seems all the trim is there and in good shape except for one little piece at the front of the wood grain. The car also has a funky bumper guard on the front that I have never seen before. I have a pretty cool plan for this car, but can't really go in depth at this time. What do you all think? I hear that the wood grain was only put on around 200 cars? I don't know how true that is, but it should be a pretty cool looking car.

I remember when I inspected this car about 13 years ago. It was silver, and in a little better shape. The wood was still very bright and so was the interior. It seems to have fared well. If I remember it was about $900 dollars at the time.

Congrats, a cool car, it should be pretty when when you finish it.

By the way, I do have some photos of car 13 years ago from my inspection if you are interested. Send me a PM.

very interesting color scheme............you'll have to dig for a sheet under the back seat! There was a 69 ragtop, red/woodgrain @ carlisle 2-3 years ago, needed a full resto. It didn't sell @ the time, not sure where it ended up. Note your tag on that says E61 so it may have been changed @ some point to a 4 bbl.

Also A58 on tag, you do not see that often on a C Body! They could not have made more than a handful of these things.

very interesting color scheme............you'll have to dig for a sheet under the back seat! There was a 69 ragtop, red/woodgrain @ carlisle 2-3 years ago, needed a full resto. It didn't sell @ the time, not sure where it ended up. Note your tag on that says E61 so it may have been changed @ some point to a 4 bbl.

Yes, that looks like an AFB on it now whereas the stock 69 4 barrel would have been either an AVS or Holley. It seems to have disc brakes as well, which was not always the case in 69 and the front bumper guard is the correct one for the 1969/1970 Chryslers, but it was an option.

Very interesting find. Enjoy.

Fury Pursuit...very cool that you checked out that car so long ago. Sad it never got fixed up after you checked t out. :(

But a super cool car...I love it!! The colour combo is very unique, a turquoise interior is very rare! Hope you wil post up pics of the car 13 years ago...would love to see them. ;)

Very unique and cool car Mac! Congrats

Looks a little rough around the edges but worthy and complete .. plus I have a thing for silver and grey cars

also turquoise interiors LOL so you hit a good one

Fury Pursuit;193520 By the way said:

I think we'd all like to see those photos.

Here is a link to a supplier of the wood grain should you decide to restore the car. It would be a beauty when done.
If you get back to where the car was photographed. I'd be interested in info on the Dodge Town Wagon parked next to it. Pic's, info, etc.

http://www.woodgrain4wagons.com/

l see baseball bats..best post pics....cars a gem..love the line separation...lookin forward to seeing this one done

I'm a sucker for patina so I say buff it, clear it, slap some mahogany down the side, and cruise...

I can't look up exact numbers on these A58s for the U.S., but I can look up Canada. I think calling production around 200 is a pretty fair number. It's really impressive that all of this stuff was hung on an "E" trim level car. That's the "Economy" Chrysler! Also interesting to see how late a build the car has. I'll echo the other poster who mentioned how great it would be to find a broadcast sheet for this car. As to the missing piece of trim, you might get lucky and (a) find it in the grass under the car, or (b) maybe the corresponding piece from a T&C wagon might fit. Chrysler cobbled up this package as cheaply as they could, so they're going to use as many existing parts bin pieces as they can to carry it off. The crest on the quarter by the nameplate "may" (can't say for sure) be part of the package. A9, the charcoal metallic that this car started life with was used in '69 for the first time and only used through 1970. That front bumper guard as wimpy looking as it is, was what you got when you ordered a front guard. Might work as a low speak beak protector, but not much more.

Excellent find. I hope your cool plan includes a resto on the paint, woodgrain and interior.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I actually went up to wildcat tonight and on Saturday, we're going to dig the Newport out and I'm going to start playing a bit with it. I'm pretty excited about it. Will post pics then.

Back