Kinda a newbie question

The internals of my Eddy were relay corroded from the ethanol in it and sitting for a long time. Worth a check pull the top off it.

Great info, thanks everyone.
I posted some pics here Pics of 69-73 C bodies and after posting them noticed the thread was for 69-73's LOL. Ah well.
BTW, the "she'll be right" thing is well known to me already. Me being originally from across the ditch. :D

Did you figure out the date of your tires?
I'm thinking I may have mistaken the last zero for a mold mark as there are no other numbers anywhere that relate to a dot number. In that case, they are from the 39th week of 2000. There is some minor signs of perishing an inch or so out from the rim, so either they've been run low of are just really old, or both.

All the info;
Bridgestone RCOT, K8501 S375H, Made in Japan, DOT EJRF CFK3900*
Over the last 2 years I have replaced 12 tires - what's 4 more... *sigh* :)

Picked up a rebuild kit for the Eddy - it wont be here for a week though. Kinda dubious about the quality as I've seen a few dodgy ones sold online. Got this through Walmart (stop laughing) for under $20. Even if turns out to be total garbage, what the heck, eh :) I can ream out a few holes. BTW I did check there was no squirt down the throats when I hit the gas pedal - so carb looks like the cause of the idle/restart issue.

Picked up a rebuild kit for the Eddy - it wont be here for a week though. Kinda dubious about the quality as I've seen a few dodgy ones sold online. Got this through Walmart (stop laughing) for under $20. Even if turns out to be total garbage, what the heck, eh :) I can ream out a few holes. BTW I did check there was no squirt down the throats when I hit the gas pedal - so carb looks like the cause of the idle/restart issue.
No squirt down the carb sounds like the accelerator pump, as long as there is fuel in the float bowl.

Ok, got the old 440 fired up after replacing the gas tank et al. It will start and run with a drop or two of gas down it's throat (a little rough, but it's been sitting) but if I try to let it idle it will die and not restart without dropping some more gas down the carb. I set the idle up a bit - probably around the 1k rpm mark (by ear) and it's fine. Once it stops, again no restart.
I checked the hoses to the carb for leaks and couldn't find anything obvious.
As the fuel tank was so rotten I thought the lines might be clogged so I ran a new temp gas line from the new tank to the pump - didn't help (by the way - two sucks on the line is enough to get gas close to the pump, three is a taster - Blech!. Just a bit of info for future reference...)
The only thing I haven't double checked yet is the carb mount bolts or gasket.
It's running an Edelbrock (sp) 4 barrel carb
I have a new pump, if needed, but I don't think that is the issue.
Any thoughts?

Oh, offhand, I think I got a score with the car as the seats and door trims are all pretty good. It has a new stainless exhaust system installed too. Don't know how old the tires are, but they've got a lot of tread on them.
instead of running a robber line that far use metal (I used 3/8" copper its easier to bend . if the rubber line is sucking shut u have a blockage someplace . also dont use gas hose for the pvc vacuum line use brake booster vacuum line . the oil fumes will causes the line to casve in fuel line is a pressure line its not a suctions line . thats may be one of yur problems u could run a electric pump basck by the take , use 2 race pumps back by the tank & a street mechanical one on the block

instead of running a robber line that far use metal (I used 3/8" copper its easier to bend . if the rubber line is sucking shut u have a blockage someplace . also dont use gas hose for the pvc vacuum line use brake booster vacuum line . the oil fumes will causes the line to casve in fuel line is a pressure line its not a suctions line . thats may be one of yur problems u could run a electric pump basck by the take , use 2 race pumps back by the tank & a street mechanical one on the block
Yep, I only ran the rubber line as a temporary to confirm there was no blockage it the original line. As there appears to be none I will be using the original line. Thanks for the advice on the vacuum lines, I did not know gas lines wouldn't work. I think actual fuel flow is sufficient and the carb has become fouled from sitting, bad gas, or both. Once the kit gets here I will tear it apart and see what is growing in there...
In the meantime I have a truck that just failed an inspection, yay, so I will have to get that sorted out first as it's my daily driver. Good excuse to hoon it up in the Firebird while I wait for parts for that little job :)

Okay, now I am REALLY confused.
From pics on here of carbs/engines etc. I see most Edelbrocks are stamped as 'Made in the USA' - mine does not have this, it has "Weber" but it's also stamped and badged as a 1405 Edelbrock. I looked up Weber and pre '92 they were made in Italy. I know the name of these carbs from as far back as old side draughts on flat head 4 cylinder engines (mostly English).
Is there, or could there be differences enough for an American style rebuild kit to be useless? The kit I got has an accelerator pump that looks too small.
If this is the case then sending it for a rebuild (got a price so many thanks for the link) might be problematic if it really is an oddball.
I found a new (U.S.) one online on sale for $330, no tax and free shipping, apparently, but will have to wait a few days before I could even think of ordering.
Remember, the car is from Hawaii, so maybe part availability there is different.

Last edited:
Back