Latest creation

detmatt

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I build a lot of stuff but this one I thought you guys/gals might find interesting. A client came to me with the request and I'm always into trying things I haven't done before. It started out as a relatively simple modern solid oak table which really turned out great. It's big too at just under 9' x 40" and required a steel under structure and weighed over 300 lbs.
I'm having upload problems so hang with me here, my iPad is turning into a calculator...

image.jpg

A good friend of mine builds furniture. All hard wood, some exotic. Amazing stuff. Both you guy's are very talented.

I love this stuf.
Please show the underside to show the joinery between the legs and the top.

I used to enjoy building Mission stuff.
Not anymore since I moved to FL
It was either woodworking tools or a car lift. LOL.
tPJSRbZ.jpg

I will when I can get the tablet to respond again...
This is a bummer because the table is fairly mundane, it's what I did to it next that's interesting.

What brand table saw/circular saw blades do you use?

Managed to get another one to upload:eek:s_dancing2:
Two of us moved it but I suffered for it for a few days.
Wait till you see how it turned out!:poke:

image.jpg

I have a Powermatic 10" cabinet saw with a stack of different brands of blades that I have re sharpened as needed. Some are better than others for sure and I don't even remember what my favorite blades brand is since any identifiers are worn off.

Yes it is. I'll try again to continue in the morning.

With the help of my friend that now does a lot of my finish work we torched the heck out of it for 6 or 7 hours and basically blackened it. It's actually a very old process called Sho Sugi Ban and was commonly done on wood siding, prior to installation of course. It kept bugs out of the wood and also slowed the process of rot. As it turns out it makes for a very kool finish for fine furniture too.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Propane with 3 different size nozzles.
Heres a shot of the bottom for you Stan. It's basically an octagon shaped steel frame and the legs are lag bolted through the steel along with some other blind fasteners.

image.jpg

Amazing workmanship. Thanks for the inside view on how this kind of finish is done. How many man-hours went into the project? And this may be a crass question, but what's the general price range of a huge custom piece like this? I'm just wondering if it's $1,000-ish or $10,000-ish? I imagine this is one of those situations of "if you have to ask..."

Matt, I hope you don't mind me saying....

Matt has the ultimate shop! Enough room for any car project, it also has his woodworking shop, and living quarters if needed. Plus he's the best W.P. Chrysler Museum guide when it's open or the Woodward Ave. cruise director. Very, Very cool!

DSC01865.jpgDSC01873.jpg

DSC01865.jpg

DSC01873.jpg

Thanks for the kind words, too kind maybe but I'll take it!:eek:ccasion14:
I built the table in about a week and a half starting with rough sawn lumber and another day or so after the burn to repair what exposing it to that much heat did to it. The burn and finish took another couple of days.
Let's just say a grand covered the materials.
Here it is in its new home.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Back