Let’s Compare: Dynomax VS Magnaflow mufflers

Isaiah Estrada

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I’ve been slacking on the 68, but I got wind that The Ventura Nationals is quickly coming up come September. This is a great goal for me to have the car put together and DRIVING by then.

Currently it runs, and it runs pretty darn good if I should say so myself

We’ve clamped on / rigged some flex pipe pointing outside the garage just to direct the fumes outside so we don’t get gassed out. Otherwise, she’s pretty much straight piped!

Right now, I’m crossed between Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers and Magnaflow mufflers for what I’ll end up running. I’m not looking for something extremely loud. However, this car has a 440 and I want to be able to hear it! Scale of 1-10 I’m looking for a 5 to 6.

Does anyone have clips of a big block Mopar powered car with Dynomax Super Turbos or Magnaflows?

C0BC31CC-2395-4C41-9944-B00B76785CCA.jpeg

I sell mufflers and exhaust for a living. The noise level and sound has everything to do with the dimensions of the case and how the muffler is made. The two mufflers you're stuck on are constructed completely different inside. Turbos are generally made up of three perforated tubes with two bridges to hold them in place. I've been told, but have no way to confirm it, that they were first used on Turbo Corvairs. Hence the name. Magnaflow mufflers are basically a big glasspack, for lack of a better term. Again a perforated tube surrounded with fiber glass, made of stainless steel. Each has a very specific sound. The longer the body the lower the tone. The shorter the louder, naturally. Both mufflers are reversible in construction too. The big issue with a Magnaflow or really any performance muffler is drone. If it doesn't quite the sound down enough, the sound just bounces around in the pipes under the car and drives the occupants crazy at steady speeds. Resonators reduce this greatly. I mention it because there's about 7-9 feet of pipe between the muffler and the tip of the tailpipe. I have a single 14" turbo on my car. It sounds great at idle and putting around in town. I cannot speak to highway speeds because the noise is 10 feet behind me. But no drone to speak of. Don't discount "knock offs" either. All Magnaflow knock offs are stainless, and very similar in construction. There are A BUNCH of turbos out there as well. There are only a few way to make a muffler, Brand Names are a great way to throw money away for no real difference in sound. I'll suggest one final thing. When at all possible, especially on a hobby cars that sits more than it drives. When you start it, let it warm up. It burns all or most of the moisture out of the exhaust system and it will last a whole lot longer if you do. Happy hunting.

The first "turbo" mufflers were on the early 1960s Corvair Turbo cars. The least restriction of any muffler at the time as the turbo blades apparently "chopped up" the sound waves and quietened things down. Until the Chrysler Street HEMI hit in later 1965 o5 so, it held the title of least restrictive on the market. BTAIM

IF the exhaust system is stock pipes, I like the Walker factory-replacement mufflers, which were used for years on single and dual exhaust C-body cars . . . except the 1969 Polara 440HP police package, which used Street HEMI mufflers (which have a shorter case length).

I would suspect the Magnaflows would be a bit more raucous than the OEM-spec Walkers.

Glad to see the car is progressing!

CBODY67

I just installed duel MagnaFlow (12256) on my 77 NYB… and they sound AMAZING In my opinion. Got that nice Gurgling at idol. And No droning at highway speed. Yet when you accelerate you know they’re under there. As Mr. Plant mentioned, the length of the Muffler Case has allot with how loud or quite it’ll be.. just my 2 cents.
1682910171533.png

A real Corvair "Turbo" muffler wouldn't fit under most of our cars.

s-l1600.jpg

Sexy pipes... John
agree. those are some damn nice pipes. noticed the tail pipes are hung from the sides of the frame as they should be. allows the pipes to be hung up tight to the frame. the would have done a lot of justice to the whole system though if they had contoured the hangers to the pipes before welding them. but my compliments to the man who bent it. nice job.

I have always run the dynomax super turbos on my B and C bodies. The longer the case the better. You can get a little drone at certain rims with them. A couple of glass packs in the tailpipes usually takes care of it.

Back