Let's discuss the "Price Class" in our VINs.

What about the 'X' class?

View attachment 503813

There are several second character designations that do not conform to the typical price level classifications but indicate something different. In that instance, the X indicates the fast top or special roofline variation. (XX was used in 69 with the Charger 500 and Daytonas)

Other letters used unrelated to price level are the T-Taxi, K-Police, and 0-Super Stock.

My 1966 Imperial Crown convertible has YM. I cant remember ever coming across an Imperial from 1966 and up that wasn't YM. Is there a YH or YP out in the wild somewhere?

Also, the '66-up B-bodies had the whole gamut - WL, WT, WM, WH, WP, and so on.

My 1966 Imperial Crown convertible has YM. I cant remember ever coming across an Imperial from 1966 and up that wasn't YM. Is there a YH or YP out in the wild somewhere?

68_YH43_81_5_AA1_A03317.jpg
69_YL23_E85_D32_Q4_247774.jpg

In the Chrysler line-up, the Newport (and Newport-based Town and Country) was Low. 300 was Medium (which is what the OP's 300 is), and New Yorker was High. I don't know where the Newport Custom slotted-in.

I find the the Town and Country's to be akin to an oxymoron. They have a New Yorker interior and a Newport front end. Then completely unique taillights. Personally I would've put the NYer grill in the T&C.

As far as the second letters, both of my NYer's have been CH. The Newport and Newport Custom I had I don't recall.

YH would be reserved for the LeBaron. Crowns were YM...

I find the the Town and Country's to be akin to an oxymoron. They have a New Yorker interior and a Newport front end. Then completely unique taillights. Personally I would've put the NYer grill in the T&C.

As far as the second letters, both of my NYer's have been CH. The Newport and Newport Custom I had I don't recall.
Did this change over the years? The ‘71 T&C at least Seems to have a New Yorker exterior and a mix of New yorker and Newport interiors.

For Each year the Part's manual "Intro" pages identified what models had what classification.
1649978162688.png

By 72 & 73 it was shown in a little different format.
1649978486030.png
1649978162688.png
1649978486030.png

Did this change over the years? The ‘71 T&C at least Seems to have a New Yorker exterior and a mix of New yorker and Newport interiors.
Yes. Here are pictures. I have a nice consolidated PDF covering 65-78 if someone would like a copy via email.

65-78_Models_0001.jpg

65-78_Models_0002.jpg

65-78_Models_0003.jpg

65-78_Models_0004.jpg

Last edited:
Back