Lets play what did I fry?

I bought my 53 Windsor that didn't run.... It turned out that it was a bad condenser.

The reason folks probably seldom have issues is that it was considered routine maintenance for years that you changed the points, plugs, rotor, cap, condenser when you did a tune up. Condensers(capacitors) are like any other component in that they have a life expectancy and will eventually crap out. Being inside the distributor away from much of the high heat and other crap probably helps preserve them a bit. Sometimes they just get oily and cruddy which diverts more and more of the charge to ground.

I've had two bad ones. One was in a '73 Land Rover I found for sitting in the parking lot of a small shopping center. It had been there for over a year, the owner worked in one of the businesses. Said it died on him and he couldn't make it run. Bought it very cheap. Took it home and cleaned up the starter and it cranked like crazy, just like he said. Swapped in a condenser out of a tired TR-6 behind the barn. Away she went.

Second one was earlier this year, in my old '51 Farmall tractor used for mowing. It would run fine for a little while, then start to sputter, buck, and lose power like the carb was loading up. Then it would die.

I would change it to electronic ignition.

And change the thermostat......

The reason folks probably seldom have issues is that it was considered routine maintenance for years that you changed the points, plugs, rotor, cap, condenser when you did a tune up. Condensers(capacitors) are like any other component in that they have a life expectancy and will eventually crap out. Being inside the distributor away from much of the high heat and other crap probably helps preserve them a bit. Sometimes they just get oily and cruddy which diverts more and more of the charge to ground.

Good point

Back