Let's see some Wagons!

That’s beautiful! Is it a New Yorker?

Not my area of expertise, but I, sure someone can chime in.
2e36_3.jpg

Pretty sure it’s a New Yorker. Biggest wagon they made, they didn’t make an Imperial wagon at the factory at that point. There were just a very few Imperial hearse/ambulances made for 1960. There are a few newspaper photos out there on the subject. Detroit and St. Louis. Great color.

Last edited:
Neat.

It's also nice to see something that isn't black.

The Chrysler wagon is cool too. The '61 was the best of the wagons. What they did in '62 was disappointing. I think they could have used the same vertical tail lamps as the rest of the Chryslers. I think there was another one of those high roof Chryslers for sale a while back, but it was quite rough.

My daily driver Caprice was originally owned by a funeral parlor. It was basically a utility vehicle for equipment and any people that didn't fit in the limos.
IMG_7569.JPG

I can never remember the name of the place, but it began with a K. I drove the car to a funeral that I attended and some of the guys working it instantly recognized the car and said they had driven it in the past.
IMG_1067.JPG

Jeff

Pretty sure it’s a New Yorker. Biggest wagon they made, they didn’t make an Impetial wagon at the factory at that point. There were just a very few Imperial hearse/ambulances made for 1960. There are a few newspaper photos out there on the subject. Detroit and St. Louis. Great color.
A friend owns the 62, the Newpaper clip is pretty cool.

100_1308.JPG
1957-and-fleet.jpg

I think some flower cars have covered cargo areas, if they have to go at highway speeds.

Also, sometimes they can be used as hearses.

makes them a bit more “all weather”.

2 Differntt styles where made.

Western style featured an open space behind the passenger part of the vehicle, made for holding flower baskets. The flower display area was protected by stainless steel or canvas with the Tonneau cover fastened into place under or over the flowers.

The Eastern style flower car was the more expensive option of the two. It came equipped with an adjustable steel deck that was raised and lowered through a hydraulic system. Floral sprays were arranged throughout the deck and were held by ornate chrome rails to create an artistic display. It carried the flowers from the funeral home to the graveside of the cemetery for an extravagant display. Both base and deluxe versions of the Eastern style flower car became available. Some featured specially designed wind protectors to keep the flowers in place in turbulent weather, and they had a faux convertible top with hinges to quickly move them out of the way. A flower car served the same purpose as a Hearse. Some flower cars were used only to carry flowers, depending on the wishes of the family. The formal term for these vehicles was “Floral Funeral Coach.”

If I could get a 1960 Imperial wagon (hearse?) which was never made (wagon) or else unicorn rare (hearse), I would. I saw an early 70’s Cadillac wagon online (not a hearse), it was beautiful.
I owned a 1979 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham station wagon conversion in the late 90s. Bought it in Illinois as a rusted out cheapie and restored it over a few years. I put a 500 cubic inch Eldorado motor in it, always sorry I sold it.

IMG_0032.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

I owned a 1979 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham station wagon conversion in the late 90s. Bought it in Illinois as a rusted out cheapie and restored it over a few years. I put a 500 cubic inch Eldorado motor in it, always sorry I sold it.

View attachment 504884

View attachment 504885

View attachment 504886

View attachment 504887

View attachment 504888

View attachment 504889

View attachment 504890

View attachment 504891

Yuh. “What was I thinking!?!” That is a nice wagon. Not hearse looking, so it wouldn’t creep out the kids!

How did they do the cargo panels in the back, since it wasn’t OEM “factory”? Did it look “finished”?

I assume the headliner wasn’t too difficult to extend into the cargo area.

My 61 is a color called fire mist red.

Very nice!

Back when I was a youngster I had my eye on a 1962 Cadillac Ambulance that was sitting in a local junkyard. I had some big plans on building a mild custom out of it. Sadly, or probably luckily, there was no title for the car so they wouldn't sell it. I'm sure that the work it would have needed was way beyond my skill level at the time. It's likely that it had some significant rust the I wouldn't have been able to repair.

Jeff

This is really nice. I can say for sure that I've never seen an Imperial hearse before.

I'd be loosing sleep if one of these came up for sale.

1957-and-fleet-jpg.jpg

Jeff

Back