lifter failure?

jrm

Reaction score
What are the symtoms of a lifter failure on engine breakin? Noisy, poor performance?
Don't know what to listen for and was wondering as the lifters I took out of my old engine were mostly concave but the engine ran fine?
Thanks.

Noise would be one. I'd do a compression check and see if one cylinder is off. Concave lifters are a BAD sign usually means the lobe is gone. If you put them on a new cam, it's probably already too late.

^^^^As mentioned above.
Sounds like a typewriter. aka a fast ticking sound. And it will only get worse if not addressed.

these were out of the old engine and most all were worn pretty bad but the motor which was down on power didn't make ticking noises which is what I thought it would do.
Just curious what others have experienced, these will not be going in the build.
John.

new lifters suck , been going though a bunch of them , thinking those seal power one from summit will work . just could not get rid of the overnight lifter rattle . cam guys tell me they will bed in after awhile . so i'll see how these do , just in preprime there the best so far .

new lifters suck , been going though a bunch of them , thinking those seal power one from summit will work . just could not get rid of the overnight lifter rattle . cam guys tell me they will bed in after awhile . so i'll see how these do , just in preprime there the best so far .

If they are noisy after sitting overnight, that usually means they are leaking down, this is usually the result of too light of viscosity oil or too loose a fit on the lifter piston. If the lifter piston is too loose, it will not get better with time. A lot of the after market lifters (ie made in China or Brazil) are crap. Best to use usa made if you can still find them. Probably not a good idea to change lifters if they have been run enough to be mated to the cam. Start up clicking is annoying but usually won't hurt anything.

Back