Locked keys in the trunk

Yup use the ignore functions, I have no idea what stubbs said since he's on my ignore list but not seeing his, and others, negative and degrading comments makes this site much better ...;)

My buddy locked the keys to his 70 Roadrunner in the truck at a car show we went to about 3 hours from home. We managed to get the back seat out and he SQEEEEZED through the cross brace and grabbed the keys. Thank goodness he is a smaller guy I sure a heck wouldn't be able to do it.

If you are worried about locking your keys in the trunk put a spare trunk key in the glove box or in a magnet key holder under the back seat.

It is far easier to get into the car than the trunk, most of our cars are of the era that you need the key to lock the doors (unless you learned the 4-door trick of opening the rear door and locking the front).

Alan

First thing I do for all of my cars is several sets of spare keys. I usually take an extra set with me — but still have one set at home just in case I really screw up.

So far so good (hope I don’t jinx it) — but keeping a spare trunk key in a hidden (yet accessible) location is a good idea that I had not thought of. Thanks, @MrMoparCHP !

i agree the good out ways the bad and this site has helped me many a time and have meet a few members from here. the world right now is just crazy and this is a happy place so lets leave it at that .
i know alot of member here are friends and pick on each other and i get a kick out of it. being mean just reminds me of watching TV :wtf: so with that being said HAPPY FRIDAY and i hope car shows start happening again i miss meeting the people and looking at cars.

Oh gawd here we go again... "Quit being a Wussie" everyone and lighten up.

Sometimes education by ridicule is the best way to 'Earn Knowledge'!

I can't understand why or how people are so stupid to open the trunk, pull the key out, then toss the keys in the trunk, then proceed to lock them in there when they're done! Is it really that hard to double check your pockets for your keys before closing the trunk?? I see that for some that it's very complicated and get very annoyed at you when you call them out on it!!

I can't understand why or how people are so stupid to open the trunk, pull the key out, then toss the keys in the trunk, then proceed to lock them in there when they're done! Is it really that hard to double check your pockets for your keys before closing the trunk?? I see that for some that it's very complicated and get very annoyed at you when you call them out on it!!
The same way you were conceived, stubbs... It was an unfortunate accident, that I'm sure more than 2 people regret.

Guess not everyone is not as perfect as you. Thank God!!!

I was raised not to do stupid **** like locking keys in the trunk. You must be the type of person that checks a loaded gun by pulling the trigger Instead of physically checking it!

I was raised not to do stupid **** like locking keys in the trunk. You must be the type of person that checks a loaded gun by pulling the trigger Instead of physically checking it!
Stubby, you should try the John Kennedy Toole experiment sometime.

When I was 15 way back in '72 my first bodyshop job the owner on my first day made it clear how to lock a car and open a trunk. He said always lock the car with the key so you know you can unlock it too. And leave the key in the trunk lock until the lid is closed. Those ways have stuck with me my whole life. Of course the new cars all have remotes but when I drive my old stuff I still follow his methods. Glad you were able to get them out!
My 68 requires the key to lock the door so I'm good there. But the trunk issue is that my kids want to open it, which I let them. Then it's a matter of getting the keys back. At Carlisle I had a set of keys, the wife had a set and there is a set hidden on the car.

I’ve never driven this car and I’m just glad I even have the keys for it. Funny thing is that I did find a bunch of other mopar keys to vehicles I don’t have while looking. The 65 coronet trunk key was the only one that would fit. I’m gonna look into where I can get extra keys made this week.View attachment 386527

I’ve never driven this car and I’m just glad I even have the keys for it. Funny thing is that I did find a bunch of other mopar keys to vehicles I don’t have while looking. The 65 coronet trunk key was the only one that would fit. I’m gonna look into where I can get extra keys made this week.View attachment 386527

I had a pile of Mopar keys, it's one of those 'Pocket Pull' items you get while free roaming the junkyards. See a ignition key, pocket it, same with the trunk and I was kind enough to open the trunk and pop the lock cylinder out for the next guy that needed access to the trunk!

:lol: :thumbsup:

I had so many keys but not a complete 'Master Set' heh, but back then we didn't even know something like that even existed. But every new Mopar I got I matched several keys exactly with my spares, the trunk/glovebox key I don't think had many combinations and was a fairly easy match and some ignition keys would be close and with just a clamp in the vise and a little filing with a small 3 cornered file... BINGO! Spare key!

About the only time I got caught out with locking my keys in the ignition was one of the first cars I got with electric door locks. In a hurry one day I forgot something and in jumping out of the car my elbow hit the power lock locking the keys inside. The only delay was trying to remember what shoebox or drawer the spare keys were in, no biggie really it wasn't like I was going to be late for court or a doctors appointment. After that I just kept a set of car keys on one key ring with the house, toolbox, bike lock, etc and then the set I would use for the vehicle I was driving on it's own separate key fob. Big set of keys in the left pocket, working set of keys in right pocket. Bob's ur'unkle!

Only time that I can remember crawling through the back seat was a 'Damsel in Distress' type situation and IIRC the keys weren't in the trunk. You know one of them monster bottomless pit type purse deals. Then there was the Daytona Pit Man incident that led to a broken vent window (on the drivers side, idiot) but we try to forget those times.

I had a pile of Mopar keys, it's one of those 'Pocket Pull' items you get while free roaming the junkyards. See a ignition key, pocket it, same with the trunk and I was kind enough to open the trunk and pop the lock cylinder out for the next guy that needed access to the trunk!

:lol: :thumbsup:

I had so many keys but not a complete 'Master Set' heh, but back then we didn't even know something like that even existed. But every new Mopar I got I matched several keys exactly with my spares, the trunk/glovebox key I don't think had many combinations and was a fairly easy match and some ignition keys would be close and with just a clamp in the vise and a little filing with a small 3 cornered file... BINGO! Spare key!

About the only time I got caught out with locking my keys in the ignition was one of the first cars I got with electric door locks. In a hurry one day I forgot something and in jumping out of the car my elbow hit the power lock locking the keys inside. The only delay was trying to remember what shoebox or drawer the spare keys were in, no biggie really it wasn't like I was going to be late for court or a doctors appointment. After that I just kept a set of car keys on one key ring with the house, toolbox, bike lock, etc and then the set I would use for the vehicle I was driving on it's own separate key fob. Big set of keys in the left pocket, working set of keys in right pocket. Bob's ur'unkle!

Only time that I can remember crawling through the back seat was a 'Damsel in Distress' type situation and IIRC the keys weren't in the trunk. You know one of them monster bottomless pit type purse deals. Then there was the Daytona Pit Man incident that led to a broken vent window (on the drivers side, idiot) but we try to forget those times.

Ha
IIRC, the 57-ish Chebbies only had 7 key patterns and you could pull the key in the off position. One could operate the vehicle without a key.
I know that 60-64 Corvairs had that style of ignition lock. Just not sure if they only had 7 ‘key patterns’...

Let me guess, the first incarnation of the locking steering column you had to push down a lever to lock the column and release the key, I remember seeing a Chrysler Master Tech episode on this, 1970? or 1971? first and only 1 year deal?

Let me guess, the first incarnation of the locking steering column you had to push down a lever to lock the column and release the key, I remember seeing a Chrysler Master Tech episode on this, 1970? or 1971? first and only 1 year deal?
That may have been Chrysler's first iteration of locking column, but I have a 1940 Ford in the shed that has a locking column.
Sorry, I just had to do it. :poke:

Back