Looking for 440 U-Code photo's

Then this air cleaner is engine colored. Its grey.

attachment.php

I always thought the #7 wire was supposed to go along the top of the valve cover then down the back and around?
I wondered about that myself.
Factory photos show both 3 in front abd 4 in front. I don't understand which was what. That's why im interested in Nick's project. Details like this.

PicsArt_12-20-05.29.34.jpg

PicsArt_12-20-05.24.16.jpg

7-million-engines.jpg

PicsArt_12-20-05.29.34.jpg

PicsArt_12-20-05.24.16.jpg

Lol, as you can see the air cleaner is nowhere near the same color as the engine. But you can see the air cleaner doesn't match the pulleys in color either, and that's because the air cleaner is done in wrinkle finish which reflects the camera flash differently.
Then this air cleaner is engine colored. Its grey.

attachment.php

This just takes me back to my first comment, what is it you are looking for?

Alan

To put it simply (and I'll be damned why anyone is having issues understanding this)

I want to know the External differences, Manifolds (Intake and Exhaust), Air cleaners are fairly well covered by Nicksgarage.com, But I would like to know what the manifolds ESPECIALLY exhaust manifolds should look like, just because some interweb site says its correct doesn't me squat, I want photos of all and to be able to decide according to factory part numbers from FSM's.

Nick

If I'm building a 1973 440 U code engine for a 1973 Fury Pursuit clone, I want the Damn engine to look like it came that way, I want to be able to if I so chose to take a so called expert, put a piece of tape over the VIN and Fender Tag, then pop the hood and ask him to tell me what doesn't belong.

If I'm doing it, I'm going to do it right, I'm a very anal person in some regards. I want to be able to leave my hood open at a show without overhearing anyone giving the usual hey look someone swapped this in, this is____, that is_____

Sorry to say Nick, but even if you had a complete original car that is totally unrestored and even had the original plugs, leads etc there will be those people who will tell you how this is wrong or that is wrong. In the end, do what you see as right and correct and be happy with it no matter what anyone else says. "Cos in the end, opinions are like a@#holes, everyone's got one.

I always thought the #7 wire was supposed to go along the top of the valve cover then down the back and around?

You are correct.......but there are some exceptions. '68 &'69 B-body cars don't have that tab to hold the #7 plug wire.

Here are some original examples........
2011 Chryslers at Carlisle 039.jpg2011 Chryslers at Carlisle 220.jpgWM23M9A309948 061.jpg

2011 Chryslers at Carlisle 039.jpg

2011 Chryslers at Carlisle 220.jpg

WM23M9A309948 061.jpg

anyway, Trenton MI engine plant, May 21, 1968, celebrating 7 millionth engine. probably 1968 model year still in production, but at least we can see some visual details of what this plant was actually building.

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/factories/trenton-engine/7-million.html

View attachment 66471View attachment 66473

Those are not the same engines. The top appears to be a 67 B body 440 HP for an automatic - Chrome valve covers, plug routing, dual snorkel intake. The bottom 7,000,000 has painted valve covers

To put it simply (and I'll be damned why anyone is having issues understanding this)

I want to know the External differences, Manifolds (Intake and Exhaust), Air cleaners are fairly well covered by Nicksgarage.com, But I would like to know what the manifolds ESPECIALLY exhaust manifolds should look like, just because some interweb site says its correct doesn't me squat, I want photos of all and to be able to decide according to factory part numbers from FSM's.
FSM's do not have part numbers in them but the yearly parts books do, that's what you need. Goviers parts books do a fine job of telling you what part numbers are correct as do sites like mymopar etc. I carry the "White Books" with me at all times, you never know...

Those are not the same engines. The top appears to be a 67 B body 440 HP for an automatic - Chrome valve covers, plug routing, dual snorkel intake. The bottom 7,000,000 has painted valve covers

yeah, something funny going on maybe. different engines or different times?

the "suits" are wearing the same clothes in all the pics indicative of same day shots, but maybe when they finished the plant walkthrough and went to lunch or whatever, the 7 millionth display engine (air cleaner, accessory drive, pedestal, etc. added) was embellished it a bit for remaining shots that day and subsequent visits?

what caught my attention on the photo in the first place is the engines had HP manifolds indicative of the whatever the hot 440 code was in 1968 and it showed some fine external detail as visual cues.

I am insufficiently skilled to discern model year/application of the final display piece beyond the date of the pic and what SHOULD have been coming down the line in May 1968.

FSM's do not have part numbers in them but the yearly parts books do, that's what you need. Goviers parts books do a fine job of telling you what part numbers are correct as do sites like mymopar etc. I carry the "White Books" with me at all times, you never know...

anybody a little help for the acronym impaired like me. FSM is Field Service Manual? What is a "white book"?

sorry for the remedial request - just not familiar with those references.

yeah, something funny going on maybe.

but the "suits" are wearing the same clothes in all the pics indicative of same day shots, but maybe when they finished the plant walkthrough and went to lunch or whatever, the 7 millionth display (air cleaner, accessory drive, pedestal added) engine was embellished it a bit for remaining shots that day and subsequent visits?

what caught my attention on the photo in the first place is the engines had HP manifolds indicative of the whatever the hot 440 code was in 1968 and it showed some fine external detail as visual cues.

I am insufficiently skilled to discern model year/application of the final display piece beyond the date of the pic and what SHOULD have been coming down the line in May 1968.

Unless 68 A body 383s came with chrome valve covers (I don't know...), the one appears to be a 67 B body assembly.

anybody a little help for the acronym impaired like me. FSM is Field Service Manual? What is a "white book"?

sorry for the remedial request - just not familiar with those references.

FSM= field service manual
White books = series of books published by Galen Govier. There are two books for engineering items such as engine assembly numbers, part numbers and other data. The rest of the series contains and how to decode fender tags. The books have white covers and are commonly referred to as 'the white books'. Link to ordering page: http://galengovier.com/gts-home/products/white-books/

They can often be purchased either new or used at swap meets

Matt, my 73 manual has part numbers to help in "Aiding the service mechanic in quickly identifying service related parts" mind you, it doesn't give many and few are C body related, it also gives a breakdown of engine pad decoding.

Don't forget the valve covers. Looks like they mixed and matched a gazillion combinations.
Spark wire clips, harness tabs, oil breathers, pcv valves, colors, etc.
Make your head spin.

Back