I have a 1965 Plymouth Sport Fury indy pace car replica.

ragtop

Reaction score
I am looking for info on after market power steering pumps and mounting brackets. My car has been my daily driver for 28 years. The pump in it is a TRW/Thompson that has never not worked but over time the seals started leaking a became progressively worse. So i decided to sent it to get rebuilt and it came back not working. I have sent it back to the company now for the third time to try and get answers and get it repaired and i have been waiting two months to get any answers as to why it broke and if it can be repaired. It's not looking good and i am forced to find some alternatives..any info is much appreciated as far as alternative pumps and mounting brackets.

Where did you send the pump for rebuilding?

A better pump is a Saginaw pump and you'll have to change brackets to use it. A few guys here have done that.

That said, working right and adjusted correctly, that stock pump is still pretty good.

Where did you send the pump for rebuilding?

A better pump is a Saginaw pump and you'll have to change brackets to use it. A few guys here have done that.

That said, working right and adjusted correctly, that stock pump is still pretty good.
Thanks, I sent it to a company called Firm Feel in Washington State.I would love to get some info on that Saginaw pump and bracket. Would I get the pump from Saginaw and the bracket elsewhere? Any chance I could find out who on here as done this and perhaps give me some parts number info?

There is not much to those pumps that can fail. The seals are the usual issue and are still available for the most part. I replaced the seals in mine a couple years ago. I did have to get the factory part number for the shaft seal though. I put in a couple of replacement seals from a local parts store that kept leaking. The factory seal is a much better part than the aftermarket junk. Obviously those guys at Firm Feel are not getting the job done.

Thanks, I sent it to a company called Firm Feel in Washington State.I would love to get some info on that Saginaw pump and bracket. Would I get the pump from Saginaw and the bracket elsewhere? Any chance I could find out who on here as done this and perhaps give me some parts number info?
I'm really surprised about Firm Feel dropping the ball. They usually do a good job.

Search "Saginaw" on the forum here and you should be able to find what others have done. I've never had to do the conversion myself...

I did have a pump rebuilt by these guys: Powersteering.com and FWIW, they have a good startup procedure for a rebuilt pump. Suggestions for Filling Your Power Steering System — Powersteering.com . I had air getting into the pump through the return hose and it caused some issues like loosing power steering when I least expected it.

And I always post this because there is some science to adjusting the belt tension with the original style pumps.

I'm really surprised about Firm Feel dropping the ball. They usually do a good job.

Search "Saginaw" on the forum here and you should be able to find what others have done. I've never had to do the conversion myself...

I did have a pump rebuilt by these guys: Powersteering.com and FWIW, they have a good startup procedure for a rebuilt pump. Suggestions for Filling Your Power Steering System — Powersteering.com . I had air getting into the pump through the return hose and it caused some issues like loosing power steering when I least expected it.

And I always post this because there is some science to adjusting the belt tension with the original style pumps.

Thank you very much for the info.

Update....finally after five months..Firm Feel figured out what the problem was with my power steering pump and sent it back repaired. I did find a Saginaw replacement including the bracket just in case i need it in the future.

Agree on Powersteering.com! He was built 6 steering boxes and 3 pumps for me, all have been great. Only place I have found that will change Dodge pickup steering boxes to a quick.....well maybe quicker ratio.

I've used Firm Feel in the past and always had a good experience. I'm glad you got it working again. Let's see a picture of the car.

Back