Looking for bumper frame to frame bolt details 1955 Windsor

Mike McGuire

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello Fellow Forward Lookers,

I'm hoping someone can share the knowledge if they have it.
I've been mincing along on my Windsor-300 clone project for about 5 years now.
It was someone else's abandoned resto project that came in pieces.
The only bumper frame bolt that wasn't blue-wrenched off is a 1/2 x 13 coarse 1.5", in a plastic bag marked ' bumper frame bolts'.
I'm just a few months away from starting the motor and would like to add the exhaust system before I start it up.
That leads to temporarily mounting the rear bumper.
However, it appears that these bolts barely poke through the frame and bumper frame, so they must be longer to accommodate the washers and nut, so I'd guess 2.5".
The first position on the frame of the three (closest to bumper) is a welded boss and these are loose fitting (too loose) the 1/2" bolts....
This gives me 2 reasons to doubt the dimensions for the rear bumper frame to frame bolts.
Anybody got the skinny on these bolts?

Thanks as always,
Mike

Possibly some information in the Chrysler parts books and such at www.jholst.net? The basic orientation of that website is about the 300 letter cars, but a lot of the information can also apply to non-300 Chryslers of that era.

In the "exploded views" in the parts book, in the bumper section, it might reference the particular part number bolt. Also in the parts book is a section "Standard Parts", which is nuts, bolts, washers, etc. with factory part numbers on them. Of course, those old numbers will not work, but each illustration for any item in that section will have the thread specs, length, and style of the bolt head. From that, you can head to the hardware store in search of them. Locally, Lowes has a good selection of automotive bolts and such. Might be something similar in your area?

I hope things keep progressing well for you,
CBODY67

Possibly some information in the Chrysler parts books and such at www.jholst.net? The basic orientation of that website is about the 300 letter cars, but a lot of the information can also apply to non-300 Chryslers of that era.

In the "exploded views" in the parts book, in the bumper section, it might reference the particular part number bolt. Also in the parts book is a section "Standard Parts", which is nuts, bolts, washers, etc. with factory part numbers on them. Of course, those old numbers will not work, but each illustration for any item in that section will have the thread specs, length, and style of the bolt head. From that, you can head to the hardware store in search of them. Locally, Lowes has a good selection of automotive bolts and such. Might be something similar in your area?

I hope things keep progressing well for you,
CBODY67
Thanks Cbody67. Since this is temporary I can wing it for now. I'm pawing through the web site above. Lots of info, thanks. (I do have a shop manual but these detail are not within the covers.) Best regards, Mike

Back