For Sale looks like we may have another 300 TNT car (?) but 25K?

Status
Not open for further replies.
25k...At Finland there was -69 300 pilot conv for 25k (euros, but close enough) what is more rare.

It is pilot car, -69 300 convertible. Interior panels etc stamped inside with Pilot text etc. And weird front end combo, 300 grille and fillets but Newport/New Yorker front bumper. So it had 300 park and turning and Amber bumber lights also.
Shame that i didnt save those photos when it was for sale.
"Pilot cars are just what the name implies, a vehicle run down the assembly line before regular production to ensure that everything will come together properly when they go full bore (panel fit, parts fit, assembly processes in synch with parts delivery and manpower requirements and so on). Don't know if the term "pilot car" is an official Chrysler one or an industry nickname. There isn't necessarily a set number of one or more, if things go perfectly a single pilot is all you need but if the process needs tweaking it requires what it requires. They will have very early build dates and sequence numbers."

In the past, I have owned two triple black 300 convertibles (one a HP 440). At first, I thought they would be cool to own and drive. But after owning them and driving them, I realized that black didn't really fit a sporty 300 personna, and that "color" didn't really bring out the nice lines of the body. I ended up selling them both - I just could not warm up to them. If I had any interest in this car (I don't), I would put it back to the original silver color.

Imo 300 (or other fuselage) needs HIP etc paint, original colors are mostly just boring. And black... every 1 wants a black car... get a Lincoln then :)

Imo 300 (or other fuselage) needs HIP etc paint, original colors are mostly just boring. And black... every 1 wants a black car... get a Lincoln then :)
sorry, "HIP"? what's that acronym? or do you mean "hip" as in cool or snazzy?

I called and talked to this guy over a year ago. He is a "retired" dealer who is selling the car for a "friend." At the time I talked to him, he claimed the car to be a "No.1 Car", but I could not rate the car any higher than a low '3'. Given that the car has been repainted, the car now, in my opinion, sinks to at least a '4'. However, like Big John says, if the car is really solid, straight and rust free, it could be a good buy - but not for $25K.

As I remember, the car is located just across the Texas line in Oklahoma in a town that is kind of out-of-the-way, so I guess the guy has been beaten to death by a lot of callers, but not many have showed up in person. I betcha that if someone showed up there with $15K or $16K in cash, a deal could probably be made. The guy has got to be pretty tired of dealing with the car and all the hassle that goes with it by now. . . Also, I bet his "friend" needs his money more now than he did a tear ago.

Don't think I would go as low as a #4 since that means some superficial rust is involved. I would go #3 for sure at around 11K as seen in the pictures. A thorough going over could either raise that if the guy is honest or lower it if he is just talking in generalities. No. 1 show condition just simply means many, many people do not understand what that truly means. Offer half and see what he counters with then you'll know if he is reasonable.

just noticed something, wouldn't the TX9 below actually mean it was originally black, not silver?

N61S61

B41C11V78

L35L31C21P25

V3XH51R23R31P31

EA4M6X9TX9A20128633

E86D32CM27UOC146862

I personally don't care for black cars at all unless it was a proper Lincoln or Caddy and even then not all the time. That is the first knock against it for me. I like color on my cars not black or grays as seen today and white only if nothing else available. None are easy to keep clean.

Second knock is that it has had a repaint which I do not like. I prefer the original paint no matter how faded. I can see what is going on with the metal and it is an easier car to strip one layer off rather than two or more layers of color.

I think I have a "Bona Fide" certificate in my wallet next my my "Boner" certificate.. Hold on let me check.

:rofl:

just noticed something, wouldn't the TX9 below actually mean it was originally black, not silver?

EA4M6X9TX9A20128633

E86D32CM27UOC146862

Sure does.....perhaps the car was repainted silver a while ago and then black again and he saw the silver under it and thinks it is the orig color.

N61S61

B41C11V78

L35L31C21P25

V3XH51R23R31P31

EA4M6X9TX9A20128633

E86D32CM27UOC146862
EA4 is metallic silver. TX9 may be for the interior?

EA4 is metallic silver. TX9 may be for the interior?

Yes. The second TX9 designates the color of the the inner door panels/paint to go with the M6XA (silver and black) interior/seat trim.

The first code in the line, EA4, indicates exterior color.

Don't know if the term "pilot car" is an official Chrysler one or an industry nickname."

I think a little of both and it depends on the year. I've seen pilot car tags from the 60's/70's era that list "Job XXX" "XXX Job rammed" or I have this tag from an 87(?) Le Baron. (Notice the really low 960005 VON. This car was built for special purpose and very low last digit. It was likely this was a show car or dealer demo)
69_PILOT_600.jpg
87_lebaron_pilot_car.jpg

I really like black cars.... They had to talk me out of having mine painted black...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back