ltBudd disc calipers - Cardone rebuilds - bolts

pgadler

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a Newport '68 with Budd discs. I have invested in new rotors, pads and had the original calipers rebuit two years ago. When rebuilding, the guy warned that the cores where so corroded, he didn't promise them a long life.

And a couple days ago one of them started leaking....

Since I had mine rebuilt, Cardone has started providing rebuilds, and a local shop (Sweden) acutally stocks them, so I got one today. They have new pistons, seems sleeved and better rebuilds than the one I am replacing.

I was very surprised when the mounting bolts has different thread than the originals. I am sure I have original bolts also.

My original calipers are marked BUDD in the casting, the Cardones are not (can't remember what markings they had).

Any experience of different bolts for the calipers?

Best,

Patrik

They probably sent you the wrong caliper(s).

BTW where did you find rotors? I've been looking for say three years because I know at some point I'm going to have to do mine. Of course I found balljoints @ $1100 US for the pair, rebuilt. Ugggh. I may just go to drum spindle and ball joint and convert.

They probably sent you the wrong caliper(s).

BTW where did you find rotors? I've been looking for say three years because I know at some point I'm going to have to do mine. Of course I found balljoints @ $1100 US for the pair, rebuilt. Ugggh. I may just go to drum spindle and ball joint and convert.

You can get new rotors thru the Imperial Club. They had them repopped. The rotor itself is the same between C-body and Imperial. The only difference is the hub which can be separated.

Kevin

Problem sorted. Whent to my late farthers garage (Mom is still living in the house). He was a Hudson mechanic, proffesional in 40-50is and later as a hobby. No tools missing there.

The Cardone rebuild had UNF 7/16 threads and the bolts (and Budd original) are UNF 1/2. 20 minutes work rethreading and now the barge is on the road again.

Still, don't know why they differed.

Back