M-body police package fender tag decode

Here is what I can tell you Matt that is in the database. Some of it differs from what you found but it is along the same lines I think.

NHA - ENGINE OIL COOLER
NHB - TRANSMISSION OIL COOLER
XDA - LEATHER WRAPPED WHEEL?
XDB - REINFORCED BODY STRUCTURE
JPE - POWER SEAT 2 WAY
MRB - LOWER BODYSIDE MOULDING
NAF - NO LISTING
NCA - AIR PUMP
NDA - CATALYTIC CONVERTER
CGT - DRIVER SIDE AIRBAG
GFA - REAR WINDOW DEFROSTER
GSJ - RIGHT SIDE CHROME MIRROR
HAB - AIR CONDITIONING
928 - BUILD DATE? SEPT 28TH?
K4255135 - ORDER NUMBER
AMBL41 - MODEL CODE
APA - MONOTONE PAINT
PW7 - BRIGHT WHITE
QW7 - BRIGHT WHITE DOOR JAMBS
ELE - 318V8
C5 - ??
U - USA BUILD
DGA - 3 SPEED AUTOMATIC
K4255135 - ORDER NUMBER

The "K" for Police Pursuit/Patrol spec definitely carried through the end of "M" production, it would appear.

This car fascinates me, for whatever reason. My Dad bought a 1985 Plymouth cop car from the Nevada DOT auction many years ago. The car was tan versus white, and had only 77K miles on it. Cop everything on it. Paid $375.

matt, i do think those are cop seats.

the tag code called them "40/40". in the old days, i just called them 'bucket" seats .

any event, often police installed equipment "consoles" for their rigs, others just ordered "full bench" (console, if any, was on tranny hump closer to dash). a "bucket seat" option gave more space of course (e.g., a shotgun rack and console, etc.,).

View attachment 639302

Thread '1985 Diplomat Police Package' For Sale - 1985 Diplomat Police Package

View attachment 639313

i had "M's", and have an "F" squad, with "40/40" .. all vinyl tho. Would not surprise me that that seat orientation could be had in "cloth & vinyl" too (particularly in a up-level "Salon" model, which could have had "patrol" duties in some fleet service ).

also, front/back seem original and matching in your buddy's car leading me to think car was born that way.

this is no doubt it was "cop equipped" from factory. that darn third tag is still a puzzler. hope, for curiosity sake if anything, we get that one sorted. the work so far is pointing to "fleet" content.

View attachment 639299
The more I look at this tag the more it looks like 3 digit sales codes mashed together and not a 6 digit code for example

JSC N01

JSC is a sales code for upgraded gauges
JFB is a seat alert
CKG is vinyl floor
LND is a light package (Clearance lights)
LNE is another light package (Roof Mounted)

I am guessing the N0 codes refer to upfitting and likely for Law Enforcement

The more I look at this tag the more it looks like 3 digit sales codes mashed together and not a 6 digit code for example

That's an excellent idea, but they still need to be read as 6 digit codes.

The same suffix, the last 3 digits, can occur more than once, for instance, N01 and N03. They seem to modify the meaning of the first 3 digits in a few basic ways.

And the first 3 digit code LND is combined with three different suffixes.

Last edited:

JSC N01

JSC is a sales code for upgraded gauges
JFB is a seat alert
CKG is vinyl floor
LND is a light package (Clearance lights)
LNE is another light package (Roof Mounted)

I did try a few reading it that way and didn’t get anywhere. I need to dig for the sheet.

here’s the interior
I owned a 1988 Police Diplomat, so I can verify the interior. Mine was a silver Salon with the same blue interior and the same seats: a velvet material. It did not wear well, and I had the driver's seat reupholstered. My car had more options: power locks, power windows, power mirrors, and semi-automatic AC. The only discrepancy I can see is the thermoquad: this era should originally have had a quadrajet, as mine did.

I managed to take a few minutes today to remove the back seat and found no build sheet. I will check the fronts too but I thought I would ask if any of you guys have any experience with finding them in these M body cruisers?

Since I'm actually interested in this beauty, I ran a CARFAX on it. It started out life in Colorado 1988 - 1997, then Ohio in 1997 - 2000, with 113K miles reported then. Nothing on the report from 2001 to present. Interesting.

IMG_6960.jpeg
IMG_6961.jpeg
IMG_6964.jpeg
IMG_6963.jpeg
IMG_6962.jpeg

I put a battery in it last week and everything powered up like I hoped and it turned over with the key.
Took some time to clean it up over the last couple of days as well.

It does have a sure grip in it and after replacing the points and condenser it does run off of a gas can! :thumbsup:

It cleaned up great on the outside too!
IMG_6965.jpeg
IMG_6966.jpeg
IMG_6967.jpeg
IMG_6969.jpeg
IMG_6970.jpeg
IMG_6973.jpeg

Points ?what did I miss?
I’m guessing the carb and the computer control system went away at the same time and it was easiest to just run the points distributor.

Back