M-body police package fender tag decode

detmatt

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I know this isn’t an M-body site but I don’t want to join one just to help figure this car out.
this is a 1989 Gran Fury.
I was able to determine 9 of the codes’
CACN01- 40/40 H/Duty C?V seats
JPE- remote deck lid release
AHB- Police package
GFA- Rear defroster
GTJ- mirror dual power remote
HAB- A.C. Auto temp
ELE- 318 4bbl HD
DGA- torqueflite
CGRN01- label push bumper install

Any help filling in blanks?
IMG_6714.jpeg
IMG_6715.jpeg
IMG_6716.jpeg

I had an '88 model purchased from the King County, Washington (Seattle) surplus department. It was an absolutely reliable and trouble-free car. Mine had lockout low on the column shifter. Nice firm padding in the front bench seat. Maybe those two features show up on your fender tag (assuming your car has them)? Mine had a roof-mounted spotlight, but it didn't come with my purchase.

I know this isn’t an M-body site but I don’t want to join one just to help figure this car out.
AHB- Police package
GFA- Rear defroster
HAB- A.C. Auto temp
ELE- 318 4bbl HD
DGA- torqueflite

View attachment 638320View attachment 638321View attachment 638322
Did you procure it?

It was probably in western Nebraska, where salt is seldom used. The eastern half of the state might as well be Ohio or Michigan.

Damn nice-looker!

Ahhh that speedometer brings me back...my 78 Lebaron would bury it. Cool car, have fun tinkering with it!
It would bury it likely because it only went do 85 mph…

It was probably in western Nebraska, where salt is seldom used. The eastern half of the state might as well be Ohio or Michigan.

Damn nice-looker!
Interestingly enough it’s a Salon with cloth buckets.

Ahhh that speedometer brings me back...my 78 Lebaron would bury it. Cool car, have fun tinkering with it!

It would bury it likely because it only went do 85 mph…

Nope I put in a certified 125mph unit in just like that one. I would shift out of 2nd around 100-105 and 3rd would take me to 125.
Gotta admit.. had a 78 full load sunroof 360 leather 2 Dr ( still have it) in high school.. yes it would almost wrap the needle back to the pin. 60 mph in 1st. I think they were 2.45 gears

hey matt. late to party but unfortunately nothing to add to the solution. "captain obvious" is all I got brother.:(

1705341066106.png

I have had ~20 M-squads but NEVER one with three stamped tags. Only had 2 (two) 1989's - both Dippys.

Those codes don't look like anything I have ever seen. Its a Kenosha-built rig - dunno if that's relevant

All the tags have the same VIN indicating TO ME it is an" OFFICIAL" factory treatment (meaning they might have option/feature validity even if we don't know it yet?), Except for VIN on last line, this tag is otherwise UN-recognizable to me.

Somebody here on Forum knows what this tag means. I used a bit of my lunchtime trying to see if any of the codes above "hit". No success on that.

Anyway, looks like a nice car.

IMHO & experience, the 1989 M-squads were the best of M's run (typical of last MY at any of Big 3 platform before those models go EOP - finally get it right, then they kill it :rolleyes:).

This one has some of the best goodies as well (maybe even more when we figure what the third tag means).

Hope your buddy has good luck with it.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Once it gets above 20 degrees again I’ll see if it has a build sheet.

AHB- Police package
GFA- Rear defroster
HAB- A.C. Auto temp
ELE- 318 4bbl HD
DGA- torqueflite

View attachment 638320View attachment 638321View attachment 638322

Here is what I can tell you Matt that is in the database. Some of it differs from what you found but it is along the same lines I think.

NHA - ENGINE OIL COOLER
NHB - TRANSMISSION OIL COOLER
XDA - LEATHER WRAPPED WHEEL?
XDB - REINFORCED BODY STRUCTURE
JPE - POWER SEAT 2 WAY
MRB - LOWER BODYSIDE MOULDING
NAF - NO LISTING
NCA - AIR PUMP
NDA - CATALYTIC CONVERTER
CGT - DRIVER SIDE AIRBAG
GFA - REAR WINDOW DEFROSTER
GSJ - RIGHT SIDE CHROME MIRROR
HAB - AIR CONDITIONING
928 - BUILD DATE? SEPT 28TH?
K4255135 - ORDER NUMBER
AMBL41 - MODEL CODE
APA - MONOTONE PAINT
PW7 - BRIGHT WHITE
QW7 - BRIGHT WHITE DOOR JAMBS
ELE - 318V8
C5 - ??
U - USA BUILD
DGA - 3 SPEED AUTOMATIC

Here is what I can tell you Matt that is in the database. Some of it differs from what you found but it is along the same lines I think.

NHA - ENGINE OIL COOLER
NHB - TRANSMISSION OIL COOLER
XDA - LEATHER WRAPPED WHEEL?
XDB - REINFORCED BODY STRUCTURE
JPE - POWER SEAT 2 WAY
MRB - LOWER BODYSIDE MOULDING
NAF - NO LISTING
NCA - AIR PUMP
NDA - CATALYTIC CONVERTER
CGT - DRIVER SIDE AIRBAG
GFA - REAR WINDOW DEFROSTER
GSJ - RIGHT SIDE CHROME MIRROR
HAB - AIR CONDITIONING
928 - BUILD DATE? SEPT 28TH?
K4255135 - ORDER NUMBER
AMBL41 - MODEL CODE
APA - MONOTONE PAINT
PW7 - BRIGHT WHITE
QW7 - BRIGHT WHITE DOOR JAMBS
ELE - 318V8
C5 - ??
U - USA BUILD
DGA - 3 SPEED AUTOMATIC
I found the 928 code here.
IMG_6856.png

It is possible that the 928 is the build date as it did get warm enough for me to go out for a quick look at the vin decal on the door and it is marked 9-88 so the jury is still out. I will go after the build sheet though.
here’s the interior, definitely not a patrol car.
IMG_6861.jpeg
IMG_6862.jpeg
IMG_6863.jpeg

matt, i do think those are cop seats.

the tag code called them "40/40". in the old days, i just called them 'bucket" seats .

any event, often police installed equipment "consoles" for their rigs, others just ordered "full bench" (console, if any, was on tranny hump closer to dash). a "bucket seat" option gave more space of course (e.g., a shotgun rack and console, etc.,).

1988_plymouth_gran_fury_1589686039565ef66e7dff9f981988GranFury49.jpg

Thread '1985 Diplomat Police Package' For Sale - 1985 Diplomat Police Package

s-l1600.jpg

i had "M's", and have an "F" squad, with "40/40" .. all vinyl tho. Would not surprise me that that seat orientation could be had in "cloth & vinyl" too (particularly in a up-level "Salon" model, which could have had "patrol" duties in some fleet service ).

also, front/back seem original and matching in your buddy's car leading me to think car was born that way.

this is no doubt it was "cop equipped" from factory. that darn third tag is still a puzzler. hope, for curiosity sake if anything, we get that one sorted. the work so far is pointing to "fleet" content.

1705668542767.png

Last edited:
Back