Status
Not open for further replies.

67Monaco

Go Woke, Go Broke.
Reaction score
Contact seller
http://newhaven.craigslist.org/pts/4476245749.html

00E0E_2tq0VRZSxgC_600x450.jpg

4 Mopar Magnum 500 Wheels, 14" x 5.5" with 5 x 4.5" bolt pattern.

HARD TO FIND DATE CODED MATCHED SET DATED 11 26 1968

Good condition. 4 for $250.

00E0E_2tq0VRZSxgC_600x450.jpg

Road wheels

I've got a few sets Stan

Those also have the wrong trim rings and junk tires still attached and if he's correct are only 5.5" wide

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure there are 5.5 and 6" but i'm rusty and since you asked that question hopefully someone will chime in

The trim rings are wrong though .. too much space between the ring and the wheel

Who cares if they are Magnum 500s, Road Wheels, or "Betty"? That is a good price. Shipping would probably be the same price, though.

BTW, I've always known these by BOTH names. and I've been around this stuff since 1971.

My 69' window sticker for my coronet still refers to them as magnum 500's even with the beauty ring. 5.5 was standard. no 6.0 until 1970, and optional even then.

Road wheels

I've got a few sets Stan

Those also have the wrong trim rings .....

They have a date coded of 11/68 and appear to have one year only 69 trim rings, which are not repopped and hard to find.

I'm a half hour drive from the guy if anyone needs more info or a pair of eyes on them.

I made that comment as more of a quick, off the cuff, wistful comment for a laugh about a CL ad, which is something that's pretty commonly done around here everyday and didn't expect to be corrected by a group of folks who, it seems to me as a whole, generally prides itself on using "correct", or maybe it's only FCBO perceived and approved, "correct" terminology. I personally don't get too bent out of shape about 'correct' or not 'correct' in terms or what someone does to, or with their cars or the lingo they use. I figure info is available and people can use it or not.

I don't care what people call these wheels in ads or forum comments, we all know basically what is meant and I think both the Mopar chrome road wheel with trim rings and the Motor Wheel Corp Magnum 500's look great on all of our Mopars.

IMHO what a clerk typed on a window sticker or what a computer programmer programmed into the code printing them 45 years ago doesn't make a Mopar "road wheel" a "Magnum 500" wheel. Magnum 500 was/is a brand name of a wheel. Window stickers were printed from input on a keyboard or typewriter by human beings who were hired for clerk type duties or contracted as programmers and were fallible and inconsistent.

People have been calling styled steel road wheels magnum 500s pretty much interchangeably since the time they were first available, but even if someone or everyone has been calling "road wheels' "magnum" or "magnum 500" wheels since the dawn of time, the length of time they've been doing it doesn't make it less incorrect. They have just been doling it wrong for a really long time.

Motor Wheel Corp's name for their wheels is/was Magnum 500's. Even in 68 and earlier, when Chrysler corp offered the Motor Wheel Corp wheels, the official literature listed or referred to them as styled steel road wheel or road wheel or chrome wheel or a variation of that and not the Motor Wheel Corp's proprietary name Magnum 500, unless they were specifically referring to the MWC Magnum 500 wheel. Note the "TM".

7774360-MAGNUM500-HotRodAug67-pg126.jpg

from 68 dealership data book:

68_Belvedere0020.jpg

from 69 dealer data book:

69_Belvedere0021.jpg

from 69 parts catalog:

index.php

Now that I think about it, I bet wagons had 14 X 6.

Posted via Topify on Android

I think C bodies had the wider 6" wheels and maybe all wagons, but I'd be a little surprised if it included all B body wagons like /6 or small blocks, but don't know if that included road wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back