Magnums starter

1970FuryConv

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
My 1972 Fury III has an original type gear reduction Chrysler starter. In warmer weather, the car starts fairly quickly. There's no problem with the battery and the starter turns at the same rate the whole time. In colder weather, it takes several pedal pumps and several different turns of the key to finally get the car started.

I was thinking of creating more vacuum by spinning the engine faster using a magnum engine starter. 2 questions:

Is the magnum engine starter, 1993 - 2003, the best way to go?

Are all of these starters the same or is there a particular year of magnum starter that I should look for?

The car is already not original and I am not concerned with original starter sound.

Old slow and faithful getting cleaned up and its terminals being cleaned.
20180514_165558.jpg

Thanks for your help, as always!

They are the cat's meow. Especially on a small block, they literally fall right into place. They work better like a alternator works better than a old generator. The alternator will outlast the generator and be more consistent throughout.

Starter is fine.
Engine has cold weather issues and needs a "tune up".

Choke calibration ok?
Fresh, gapped plugs?
Wires ok?
Coil output ok?
Accel pump shot ok?

I suggest this stuff because you say the engine spins over at the same speed, so the issue is the colder weather. I know for a fact the choke has to be dead on for easy starts in the cold!

Mini starter is the way to go. One of the first things I change out. The mini takes way less juice from the battery and spins the motor over faster.

Starter will not necessarily fix your starting issues. I was just touting the benefits of a modern starter over the original.

Any magnum starter should work. I bought a brand new one fairly cheap off of ebay. I ran all new wiring on mine as well. Love it! One of the best things i have done. And it bolts right in!

The later starters have a molded plug in for the starter terminal. The early ones have 2 studs and can use the diffrettnt adapters to move the location of the terminals if needed. The one in the pic is a 90 D-100 360 CID . There is a thread on this if you do search. Thanks to that person for that info.:thankyou:Pic of where I got the adapters from.
20181230_113222.jpg
20181230_113232.jpg
20181230_113241.jpg

As long as a spark plug sparks, the engine should start, even with a weak battery and ignition points in good condition. I've seen that happen. So, getting the spark plugs to spark, at any cranking speed is important. Don't also presume you have to change out EVERYTHING to make that happen, either! But DO check the things mentioned. Plugs and condition, wires and condition, battery voltage while cranking, etc.

It might be good to have the engine cranked faster so theoretically there is a greater "pull" on the fuel from the fuel bowl through the appropriate carb fuel circuits, though. But with your repeated pumps of the accelerator, that fuel/fuel vapor is already in the intake manifold anyway.

When the car's dead-cold, remove the air cleaner and check the accel pump shot. It should be strong and immediate, typically. If that checks out good, the plugs have about a .035" gap with clean sparking locations, then things should work decently well.

Follow the factory procedure for cold starts, too. Even the brand of fuel can be important, plus how fresh it might be. Too many pumps might hinder, rather than help, too! FWIW.

Also, with the air cleaner off, check to see that the choke blade just closes with an ambient temp of 70 degrees F. Just enough tension to pull it closed, not snap it shut. Of course, when the engine starts, the choke pull-off will pull it open a bit so the engine doesn't load-up from being too rich. It all has to be reasonably in-spec.

Hope this might help,
CBODY67

If the old starter is not spinning the motor fast enough you can gave starting issues, I know this is very important on my old cummins motors. ;) I have swapped in a mini-starter on all my V8's for many years now....always and excellent upgrade.

My original type starter works fine all summer but acts up in cold weather. Feels and sounds like the reluctor gear is not fully engaging. I would imagine what ever gunk or grease inside gets stiff sitting in the cold. If I pull it to clean I’ll probably just install these new mini-starters.
If it spins the engine faster it should run the mech fuel pump faster too, right?

You might have other issues but the mini starter makes everything about starting these cars better. And makes life with headers much better.

You might have other issues but the mini starter makes everything about starting these cars better. And makes life with headers much better.
As long as you put the starter in there before the header. Changing a starter with headers still sucks, oh wait another plus for the mini starter is it will outlast your exhaust.

I made the switch early on when I got my car. Believe it was a Densco mini-starter I read about on the boards. Since I put in my HEI ignition I no longer hear the starter spin at all. Unless not having been started in awhile, or not the right amount of pumps, the engine starts the moment I turn the key.

Thanks for all the replies!
Ignition System
Spark plugs are clean and properly gapped
Spark plug wires, Coil, Distributor, Ign Module: all new
Car runs excellent once started and is a blast to drive!
Edelbrock 1406 Electric choke carb.
Choke is closed when open air cleaner, engine cold.
Choke opens fully as engine warms.
Possible choke needs adjust to open more slowly in winter.

That terminal conversion would have been nice when I changed out mine. It was a bit of work once the starter was in against the block and the starter cable was in my hand with me going uh-oh.

Starter 410-52033 powerpartspros1 ebay, 1994-95 360 Denso-type new mini-starter
Adapter, badvert65 ebay
Old & new (as shipped), wire terminals on opposite sides
20190109_130823.jpg

Popped off black plastic cover and removed adapter block installed on new starter, 2 nuts
New adapter on right
20190109_131434.jpg

New adapter mounted
20190109_131815.jpg

Black stud cover still fits over 2 studs
20190109_132029.jpg

Although wires mount on opposite sides, about same length from bell housing
20190109_132400.jpg

New starter, easy to mount, unlike old starter, able to get torque wrench on both bolts
20190109_142437.jpg

Wires mounted
20190109_142500.jpg

Wire routing
20190109_142527.jpg

From below
20190109_142635.jpg

Result: Fury 360 Edelbrock 1406 starts instantly. Extremely impressed. Starts like a fuel injected car.
Shout out and thanks to @barnfind for modern starter idea and pointing me to the adapter along with @Dan Scully and @saforwardlook.

Back