Mancini Orange box

dodtorcito

Reaction score
Good afternoon.
I have buyed the Mancini Racing Orange box, and I´m surprised when open the package and see that part.
What deception!!!...Are those box also Made in China? as they say geting those boxes from the original Mopar supplier.
Have some one experience using this box?

Have a nice day.
Alfredo M.

IMG_20240214_083907.jpg

IMG_20240214_083919.jpg

.Are those box also Made in China? as they say geting those boxes from the original Mopar supplier.
It very well could be from the original supplier. When these were first built in the 70's, that supplier was probably manufacturing them in the USA. Fast forward 50 years and most of the aftermarket electronics are manufactured in China. The original supplier may be still USA based, but unfortunately, we (the USA) has gone to being more of an importer than a manufacturing country, especially in any electronic items.
Have some one experience using this box?
It's probably OK. Chinese manufacturing can be good, we all use cell phones and computers that come from there, so whatever... If it were me, I would run it, but have a spare in the trunk. I do that now with my '70 300 that has an older Mopar Performance box. Electronics are electronics... They can go on forever or crash at the worst possible time without warning.

That said, if I were installing an electronic ignition system, I would consider sourcing a rebuilt electronic USA made distributor from @halifaxhops and use a GM HEI module instead of the Mopar box. The other option, and one I have in my '65 Barracuda, is the Pertronix II unit.

Thank you Big John.
My old original orange box failed and then I buyed the Mancini box after seing that picture in his web page (Made in USA grabed and transistor number).
I must to use it, as the shipping+taxes to Spain was 2'5 the part price. It was a robbery action!!!
And yes, I have a spare in the trunk and follow your sugestion for the HEI.:thumbsup:
Where can I find the wiring for the HEI modification?

Thanks.

Mopar  orange ecu.jpg

Thank you Big John.
My old original orange box failed and then I buyed the Mancini box after seing that picture in his web page (Made in USA grabed and transistor number).
I must to use it, as the shipping+taxes to Spain was 2'5 the part price. It was a robbery action!!!
And yes, I have a spare in the trunk and follow your sugestion for the HEI.:thumbsup:
Where can I find the wiring for the HEI modification?

Thanks.

View attachment 647858
That is rather disturbing that they would use that picture with "Made in USA" clearly stamped on it.

Of course, I've seen many things marked as "Made in USA" that are almost 100% made with off shore sourced components. There's even been some major tool manufacturers that have been called out for importing the major components, mostly assembled, and adding something like the handle or outer case and saying "Proudly made in the USA" on a sticker. It's all nonsense... And then there's private guys reboxing offshore products and calling them NORS or even NOS, but I digress.

These are bookmarked threads from the slant six forum that may help.

HEI electronic ignition discussion - Slant Six Forum

HEI Electronic Ignition Retrofit How-To - Slant Six Forum

There's other stuff out there and a google search may have some links to newer info. I know there's even a mounting piece for Mopar distributors to bolt the HEI module directly to the distributor, but the brand/web site escapes me.

This guy does a "quick and dirty" conversion and explains more. It's all interesting stuff!

Ok, thank you for the info. I will read it with attention, and will try to hide the HEI module into a Orange box case...and I will post pictures of it.
Thanks Big John and mikedrini.

Interesting that Mancini is using the old Chrysler "P-" part number with their name in prominence. The "Made in USA" probably is for that ONE part of the assy, I suspect.

YouTube Channel "Dead Dodge Garage" has a segment on replacing the Chrysler control box with a GM HEI module, plus how to mount it "in the open", using the heat sink compound, of course. Davis Unified Ignition was the first aftermarket company to use the HEI module on everything. Initially, the module was mounted outside of the smaller-cap distributors. Now called "DUI".

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Interesting that Mancini is using the old Chrysler "P-" part number with their name in prominence. The "Made in USA" probably is for that ONE part of the assy, I suspect.

YouTube Channel "Dead Dodge Garage" has a segment on replacing the Chrysler control box with a GM HEI module, plus how to mount it "in the open", using the heat sink compound, of course. Davis Unified Ignition was the first aftermarket company to use the HEI module on everything. Initially, the module was mounted outside of the smaller-cap distributors. Now called "DUI".

Enjoy!
CBODY67
Thank you CBODY67, I will look for that channel.

No way like the old boxes, it has a fake transistor on it and a high fail rate. read this. Bit long but we really hit all the issues.

Last edited:
Just saw the HEI Part. I will be making mounting plates for the slant dist like the 8 cyl one out there soon.

1709728413090.png

Last edited:
Just read the first page of that thread. Good Heavens! Sand? Transistor caps, empty? Never knew that potting compound "liquified", even in the TX summer.

@halifaxhops, thanks for that link!

CBODY67

My question is whether or not when Chrysler changed the first control boxes to the 4-pin version, what was done internally when this changed?

Thanks,
CBODY67

My question is whether or not when Chrysler changed the first control boxes to the 4-pin version, what was done internally when this changed?

Thanks,
CBODY67
They took out the start circuit that was on the 5th pin. You can use a 5 pin in a 4 pin but not the other way around.

They took out the start circuit that was on the 5th pin. You can use a 5 pin in a 4 pin but not the other way around.
And because that start circuit has changed with the 4 pin, you don't need the dual ballast resistor anymore. A single BR is all you need.... But you don't need to remove the dual BR either as it's bypassed.

Not yet waiting to get a failed one. They seem to hold up well.

Back