Mancini Orange box

I do know from a friend that raced GM with HEI he went through 5 Accell 4 pin modules in one season. All failed dwell at high RPM on the tester.

I do know from a friend that raced GM with HEI he went through 5 Accell 4 pin modules in one season. All failed dwell at high RPM on the tester.
Do you think that's a HEI type fault or a Accel quality fault?

Accel used to be decent stuff, but that was back many years ago when they were part of Echlin. It's been sold and resold a few times since.

YCD9_126.jpg

Do you think that's a HEI type fault or a Accel quality fault?

Accel used to be decent stuff, but that was back many years ago when they were part of Echlin. It's been sold and resold a few times since.
Definately Accell, all with the same issue.

I'm the one that sells those HEI conversion mounts on http://www.designed2drive.com I have 40K miles on 3 different cars using them without a failure. I had one failure on my '70 Satellite at one point, but it was due to the original bulkhead eventually creating too much resistance, allowing only 7.4 volts at the module. That was the point that it stopped working. I don't recommend aftermarket HEI modules. Most of them sacrifice low rpm performance to gain higher rpm performance; and as stated, the quality isn't as good as OEM. If you really need high rpm performance, which would be an odd request from a c-body, then the 990 module from GM is the way to go.

Edit: direct links on this site are terrible. It doesn't lead you to the actual link.

Last edited:
Edit: direct links on this site are terrible. It doesn't lead you to the actual link.

For some reason, pasting a direct link for some doesn't seem to work. I have no idea why. It does seem to work for me.

Mopar HEI Conversion

BTW, thanks for posting that. I remembered someone was making them, but couldn't remember who.

My question is whether or not when Chrysler changed the first control boxes to the 4-pin version, what was done internally when this changed?

Thanks,
CBODY67
4 pin boxes are the performance versions with no need for a dual ballast resistor.

OEM, non-performance, boxes have the 5 pins and need to be used with a dual ballast resistor.

4 pin boxes are the performance versions with no need for a dual ballast resistor.

OEM, non-performance, boxes have the 5 pins and need to be used with a dual ballast resistor.
The 4 pin is just a newer design. I've seen 4 pin ECUs being sold as normal replacements.

I've read that any new 5 pin has a dummy pin in that position and the internals are the same as the 4 pin, but haven't bothered to check into it myself.

@halifaxhops can verify this.

I'm the one that sells those HEI conversion mounts on http://www.designed2drive.com I have 40K miles on 3 different cars using them without a failure. I had one failure on my '70 Satellite at one point, but it was due to the original bulkhead eventually creating too much resistance, allowing only 7.4 volts at the module. That was the point that it stopped working. I don't recommend aftermarket HEI modules. Most of them sacrifice low rpm performance to gain higher rpm performance; and as stated, the quality isn't as good as OEM. If you really need high rpm performance, which would be an odd request from a c-body, then the 990 module from GM is the way to go.

As you know I use them alot and love them!

The 4 pin is just a newer design. I've seen 4 pin ECUs being sold as normal replacements.

I've read that any new 5 pin has a dummy pin in that position and the internals are the same as the 4 pin, but haven't bothered to check into it myself.

@halifaxhops can verify this.
Not sure on that. I would think not it would screw up a lot of early apps. 4 or 5 pin icm

Not sure on that. I would think not it would screw up a lot of early apps. 4 or 5 pin icm
If you can plug and play a 4 pin ECU into a car wired for the 5 pin with a dual resistor, it makes some sense to me that a dummy pin wouldn't be any different. Basically, you aren't using one side of that resistor anymore.

I could be wrong and it's not a dummy pin though... I've read it in several places, but never from a real reliable source.

Back