Medina, a 1971 T-code Monaco

Medina turned 50 years old last November. Her odometer reached the 80 thousand miles mark today, at the end of the Illinois River Run.

4FB07AF2-2DC8-4E97-98A0-40A4DF7A744E.jpeg

Here she is in Peoria, IL this afternoon, a couple of hours before passing that milestone.

A274F60B-CC15-4D4B-B77A-93E23FB01E43.jpeg

Last edited:
OK. . . High mileage now. Standing offer has dropped to $2300. .
The reality is quite the opposite. What I’ve spent the past two years doing, with Wyatt’s help, is to bring Medina back to an original-like and reliable state. That took many hours of work and almost 4k miles of driving her on various roads for assessing and troubleshooting. I have demonstrated (by driving her for over a dozen hours and over 700 miles in just the past four days, at high average rates of speed) that she is super solid, smooth, and reliable -- to the point that I trusted her on Thursday to get me to an important meeting halfway across the state on time.

In other words, your offer is an order of magnitude off :p

Last edited:
The reality is quite the opposite. What I’ve spent the past two years doing, with Wyatt’s help, is to bring Medina back to an original-like and reliable state. I have demonstrated, by driving her for over a dozen hours and over 700 miles in just the past four days, at high average rates of speed, that she is super solid, smooth, and reliable (to the point that I trusted her to get me to an important meeting halfway across the state on time).

In other words, your offer is an order of magnitude off :p

Well. . . Alright then! Offer now is: $2400

She is a beautiful car. But, every time I see her, that stripe just makes me cringe.

Doesn't get much better than driving her 12 hours without even a hic up .

Well. . . Alright then! Offer now is: $2400
:rolleyes: That’s how much I paid to redo the front seats and get new floor mats.

That cost was very steep, but the sewing pattern is 100% correct (@saforwardlook helped me make sure of that) and the restoration seat material is not only correct but also really pleasant to sit on for hours on end. While the lower back support is admittedly not as good as it is on the best modern seats (MB and Volvo especially), I was comfortable driving the whole day yesterday. That was not the case before the seat restoration, and was not the case in some other cars I have owned (my BRZ was the worst -- guaranteed sore back after just a couple of hours on the road).

She is a beautiful car. But, every time I see her, that stripe just makes me cringe.
I have made my peace with the repaint and the stripe, at least until the time comes for a repaint and new top -- which will not take place for at least another couple of years.

For many of us, I know that the stripe is heresy. Yet, you'd be surprised how many non-Mopar/non-car folks like it. The dichotomy in the reactions is striking.

Doesn't get much better than driving her 12 hours without even a hic up .
I agree. And, big point for me: hold AND hot starts are a breeze. Cold: one pump of the gas pedal, turn the key, start. Warm or hot: turn the key and go. I am a fan of the mini-starter that @71Polara383 convinced me to get!

Last edited:
:rolleyes: That’s how much I paid to redo the front seats and get new floor mats.

That cost was very steep, but the sewing pattern is 100% correct (@saforwardlook helped me make sure of that) and the restoration seat material is not only correct but also really pleasant to sit on for hours on end. While the lower back support is admittedly not as good as it is on the best modern seats (MB and Volvo especially), I was comfortable driving the whole day yesterday. That was not the case before the seat restoration, and was not the case in some other cars I have owned (my BRZ was the worst -- guaranteed sore back after just a couple of hours on the road).

Was your Subaru a later model with this interior or something more normal? I would think a seat like this would be comfortable?

20_BRZ_photos_int_04.jpg

I have made my peace with the repaint and the stripe

many of us, I know that the stripe is heresy.

I've read this whole thread and totally get not repainting it yet.

I do suppose it really is just that I know it's not supposed to be there. Can't be more than that because I typically like the tail stripe. I have a challenger with one.
My father in law has a truck that he put a tail stripe on and it looks good.
It's all because of that code book that I read.

@saforwardlook -- My car's and the above seats look to be the same, though with different fabrics. Mine was a 2013 (special-ordered because it was a brand new model, and I had to wait months to get it). Wonderful track toy, delightful to drive on switchbacks. Long distance? I drove 3k miles over a fortnight through the South -- the backroads were great (the Tail of the Dragon in particular), the highways not so much (engine drone, subpar sound insulation, and the seats).

Here is a photo taken right before I replaced the floor mats. They were worn after just 13k miles, guess why :steering:

PS: the lack of RHS armrest was a problem, but by the time I received mine someone had found there was a market among BRZ/FR-S owners and made a "pop in" that looked OEM (though there was no OEM). It was great. You can see it in the photo.

IMG_1214.jpg

Last edited:
Is there a thread that talks about the PennGrade oil? Why that specific brand and or type?

Search Results for Query: penn grade | For C Bodies Only Classic Mopar Forum

Search Results for Query: penngrade | For C Bodies Only Classic Mopar Forum

FWIW, I have been happy with that oil so far. For my latest acquisition, which has a TNT, I followed @david hill's recommendation and went with Valvoline VR1 10W30. All my other C-bodies use Penn Grade 15W40. If you buy the latter from Summit, the 12-quart pack comes at a substantial discount (compared to buying individual jugs).

PS: I bought two 12-pack two months ago on sale at $8.75 a quart. I see they are now selling, even with the 12-pack discount, for over $12/quart. I guess motor oil prices are catching up with crude oil prices :eek:

Last edited:
I noticed that one of the cornering lights was not working anymore the last time I took pics, so I went looking for 1195 light bulbs. I found a pack of ten for $18 on eBay, the seller accepted my offer for $16 including shipping, and they are on their way.

I figure I might as well keep a few spares. If anyone needs one for their car, though, I am happy to share the find and can bring the box to the Midwest show. Cost is $1.60 per bulb.

s-l500.jpg

s-l5002.jpg

s-l5003.jpg

s-l5004.jpg

Is that the top of the hood cornering light?
That is the bulb for the cornering light on the side of the front fender. It would not fit the fender repeater housing at the top of the fender.

I see that now that I look at the picture with your fingers in it. Too large.
Are these bulbs not reproduced or available aside from NOS?

I see that now that I look at the picture with your fingers in it. Too large.
Are these bulbs not reproduced or available aside from NOS?
Those are the seller's fingers (pic from the eBay listing), not mine. There is a thread about the fender repeaters, if memory serves.

Back