Made some Medina Vectors for my Illustrator class
Medina1.png
Medina3.png
Medina4.png
Medina5.png
Medina6.png
Medina7.png

@ayilar, thanks again!

Persistence and patience pay -- look at what I just found for Medina: a NOS Dodge Division trunk lid badge ( P/N 3570337 ) that I bought at a good price.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l16002.jpg

I also solved a puzzle regarding the rear
fender crest and wreath that are missing on each side of Medina's rear fenders. (...) Thanks to @Bill Watson on the Yahoo Polara & Monaco board, I had learned that the part number for the medallion is 3568 596
but neither of us could find anything about the laurel wreath.

Well, I found one used 3568596 badge on eBay -- it turns out that the medallion/crest and the wreath are a single part. Here are two photos for record:

Both the decklid badge and the crest are stick-on pieces, which probably explains why so many cars have lost them.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l16002.jpg

Last edited:
Persistence and patience pay -- look at what I just found for Medina: a NOS Dodge Division trunk lid badge ( P/N 3570337 ) that I bought at a good price.
View attachment 439830
View attachment 439831

I also solved a puzzle regarding the rear but neither of us could find anything about the laurel wreath.

Well, I found one used 3568596 badge on eBay -- it turns out that the medallion/crest and the wreath are a single part. Here are two photos for record:

Both the decklid barge and the crest are stick-on pieces, which probably explains why so many cars have lost them.
View attachment 439828
View attachment 439829

In case you need more of the wreath part Ayilar (probably nos but could be used), I see at least one and probably more are available at amsnos.com. Can't guarantee that the price will be necessarily low though.........................

In case you need more of the wreath part Ayilar (probably nos but could be used), I see at least one and probably more are available at amsnos.com. Can't guarantee that the price will be necessarily low though.........................
Thank you! @71Polara383 got me a couple for Christmas 2019, so I am all set!

As I noted previously, I only know parts of Medina's history. A member who knows some of the car's history had said he'd get me in contact with a prior owner, but unfortunately he has not been on FCBO since Dec. 2019.

Given the dealer logo/emblem/tag screwed on her trunk lid, she was likely sold new by Smith Motor Co. in White Marsh, MD (less than an hour's drive from where she was built in Newark, DE).

IMG_2152_cut.png

I have gathered information over time about the Dodge dealership, but I am afraid that the sales records are long gone. Still, inspired by (i) a post by @1970FuryConv last weekend and an earlier post by @robio re: the Colorado dealership that sold their two Plymouths, as well as (ii) the contributions by @PeugFra to dealership information, I am posting this info in the hope that others may have more tidbits about the dealership and may be willing to share them.

Here are two pictures of the dealership that I found on Pinterest and Reddit. They were obviously taken within instants of one another. From the cars on the lot (1971 Dart, 1964 Bel Air, 1972 Charger), the fact that the trees are missing leaves, the orientation of the sun (the road runs SSW to NNE, so the sun must have been SW) and the shape of the shadows, my guess is that the photo was taken in the early afternoon sometime in mid-fall 1971, less than a year after Medina's SPD of November 16, 1970:
efj59gnjx6g51.jpg

7686c01212e3c4accd2150e891cd989e.jpg

For years, this dealership was Smith Motor Co. The Baltimore Sun has described it as "one of the oldest car dealerships in Baltimore County."

The stone building pictured above was located across the street from a more recent expansion, as shown in this Baltimore County zoning document dating from March 1964 (listing the founder's son Kenneth G. Smith, the latter's wife Catherine R., and his brother Marvin E. Smith and his wife Katherine L. as the owners of the land). The red arrow points to the area where the cars are parked in the two pictures above:
upload_2021-2-27_15-58-31.png

The first brother passed away in 1973, the second retired in 1978. The dealership was sold by a third generation of Smith owners and became Schaefer & Strohminger White Marsh Dodge in 1981. Messrs. Schaefer and Strohminger had some of their Dodge dealership franchises revoked in 2009. The White Marsh dealership closed in 2009 and sat vacant for a few years until the An-Nur Foundation moved into the Sales building. The Nur grocery store opened in the lower level of the service building. Lord's Collision moved in May 2015 into the space for the service department. A fire destroyed the entire building on January 24, 2016.

The original stone building still stands today at 10800 Old Philadelphia Road (corner of Cowenton Rd) in White Marsh, MD. However, with the bigger building now razed and the smaller building repurposed, I don't think there are records left. The company that has occupied the building for a number of years is an electrical services provider, GSS.
upload_2021-2-27_16-36-22.png

Last edited:
Wow. Hope the records weren't destroyed following 2009 closure. Fire might not mean much since the dealer wasn't there any more.

Are you planning on replacing the rear view mirrors on this car? I found a pair of Fusey square head mirrors in my parts stash (Pretty sure they were off a Chrysler or Imperial). They're cores really as I feel they need a re-chrome due to a stone hit on the face of one that became a pit.

70028210_1094283644098687_1716151558615334912_n.jpg
70187227_451720372092633_7671147727681486848_n.jpg
70148317_2779281942116177_8983430738221203456_n.jpg

Wow. Hope the records weren't destroyed following 2009 closure. Fire might not mean much since the dealer wasn't there any more.
My main hope is that someone bought out the old records when the dealership closed, assuming that there were still records from 1971 at the time.
--> It's a long shot, but it is why I posted the info here.

Are you planning on replacing the rear view mirrors on this car? I found a pair of Fusey square head mirrors in my parts stash (Pretty sure they were off a Chrysler or Imperial).

Yes, I am! The plan is to replace the mirrors with correct originals when I repaint the car in GY9 and replace the V1Y top (the car was repainted burgundy in 2018 and the vinyl top had previously been replaced--nice work but the grain is not the correct boar). I just bought a LHS remote mirror in excellent condition that I snatched at a great price on eBay, but I could use your two mirrors for another car.
--> If you would consider selling them, could you pls PM me a price and the stamped part numbers?

A bit more info about the dealership's history and its surroundings, courtesy of the State of Maryland archives. All of the buildings below still stand:

description of dealership & surroundings.png

Last edited:
My main hope is that someone bought out the old records when the dealership closed, assuming that there were still records from 1971 at the time.
--> It's a long shot, but it is why I posted the info here.

Yes, I am! The plan is to replace the mirrors with correct originals when I repaint the car in GY9 and replace the V1Y top (the car was repainted burgundy in 2018 and the vinyl top had previously been replaced--nice work but the grain is not the correct boar). I just bought a LHS remote mirror in excellent condition that I snatched at a great price on eBay, but I could use your two mirrors for another car.
--> If you would consider selling them, could you pls PM me a price and the stamped part numbers?
Sorry I am so slow getting back to you...busy at work and the weather has been up and down, which keeps me out of the shop.

Driver side number 3586843
Passenger 3586852

I think they were from a 73 NY or an Imperial...it's been a long time since I pulled them.

Sorry I am so slow getting back to you...
Driver side number 3586843
Passenger 3586852
I think they were from a 73 NY or an Imperial...it's been a long time since I pulled them.
Thank you, I wanted to check my 1970-1971 parts manual before replying. I am afraid that yours may not work for me, as the ones I would need for a 1971 D/C/Y would be 3586651 for the remote driver's mirror and 3586652 for the companion passenger mirror.

upload_2021-4-29_20-27-6.png

In anticipation of the Illinois River Run this Sunday, I made a detour to pick up Medina from @71Polara383 today.

IMG_0275_edited.JPG

I then proceeded to put several hours of driving time, in order to get to a meeting. As I noted a couple of years ago when I bought her in upstate NY, my plan was always to be in a position to use this car (occasionally of course) as a reliable long-distance driver. I am happy to report that she is GREAT! Responsive, smooth, and very enjoyable to drive.:) Thanks a whole bunch, Wyatt!!!:thankyou::thumbsup:

This long trip gave me a chance to confirm that, post-refurb, she continues to get decent mileage. At some point along the way, I filled her up (19.5 gallons; the gauge was showing empty, so it is not perfectly accurate as the tank should take 23 gallons when empty).

IMG_0283.JPG

Then, I proceeded to drive another 185 miles before filling her up again so as to check the mileage. I am happy to report that she needed just 13 gallons the second time, which means that she drank at the rate of 14.2 mpg. Quite good IMHO, given that she was moving with the left-most (aka fast) lane traffic the whole time. For comparison, driven on the same roads at the same speeds, a 2018 Volvo XC60 T5 4WD gets about 22 mpg in my hands

Of course, what is a road trip without McD's?

IMG_0286.JPG

Here is one more photo, taken after I got to my meetings.

IMG_0300_cropped Medina 20210429.jpg

image.png

Last edited:
Did you really put your cup on her quarter?

:elmer::BangHead:
Yep. I was wondering who would notice first. I should have had no doubts :D

PS: this was a cardboard cup of coke, no ice -- so no condensation. I checked.

Yep. I was wondering who would notice first. I should have had no doubts :D

PS: this was a cardboard cup of coke, no ice -- so no condensation. I checked.

No-no, no. It is disrespectful to the car . It shows a lack of ownership pride, so, why you do it.

Ice in the cup doesn't matter, and who the Hell gets a pop without ice? AND why are you eating at McDicks? :soapbox::BangHead: I gotta get out of this conversation...

No-no, no. It is disrespectful to the car . It shows a lack of ownership pride, so, why you do it.

Ice in the cup doesn't matter, and who the Hell gets a pop without ice? AND why are you eating at McDicks? :soapbox::BangHead: I gotta get out of this conversation...

In view of this sacrilege, my standing offer for the car just dropped to $2400. . .

Back