Medina, a 1971 T-code Monaco

When driving Medina last month, I noticed an increasingly noisy rattle coming from the rear. Turns out that the noise started from a broken rearmost exhaust hanger. I brought the car to a local mechanic whom I know, as there was no chance for me to drive to Rockford and back before the Midwest show this Saturday (work comes first).

When the car was up on a lift, we found that the following issues had developed:
Resized_20190904_153945 issues May 2021.jpeg

Luckily, @marty mopar had the correct part (P/N 3404844 ) -- so I bought one hanger for Medina and a spare just in case, as one of my other cars might need it (Marty had three hangers available, so there is one left at Arizona Parts if someone needs it). Here is Medina's exhaust this Friday afternoon, with the NOS hanger installed. Notice that it now runs parallel to the rail -- no more rattles! Notice also that as a result the exhaust was brought a bit rearward, with the scalloped tailpipe running perfectly in the continuation of the rear valence.
IMG_1031.JPG

While fixing the rear hanger issue, it became apparent that another hanger was too loose and that its brackets could not be tightened enough, causing a second (smaller but still noticeable) rattle. So a piece of metal of appropriate thickness and curvature was cut to fit and was inserted between the hanger bracket and the pipe.
IMG_1033.JPG

IMG_1034.JPG

Voilà, no more rattle. Right? Well, not so fast. The butterfly nut holding the rear tire had gone missing. No idea why or when, but the tire occasionally rattled as a result. I had used a simple nut when I first noticed the issue in May, but it did not stay tight and there was still a tight rattle. Not having an original nut on hand, the mechanic manufactured a really cool one that I like so much I've decided it will stay with the car!
IMG_1030.JPG

One more thing. When I bought Medina, she was missing the trunk "Dodge Division" badge (P/N 3570337 ). I found a used one in good condition on eBay, negotiated a good deal, and had it installed today after moving the remnants of the old double-sided tape.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l16002.jpg

We used old factory photos and a scaling software to figure the correct placement (3.5in from the trunk's right and bottom edges). Here it is on the car (using double-sided tape):

IMG_1032.JPG

Last edited:
Show-off!
Your wish is my command. Medina has clocked over 640 miles in the past four days, getting me to car shows / meetings in four Midwestern cities. Here she is, parked on (and improving the appearance of) a Chicago business district street yesterday evening.

AAAA0447-2370-46F4-80B1-924A44B30CFE.jpeg

Last edited:
Yikes! Parked on a city street overnight! Looking good!
Fear not, Medina was super safe overnight (as I always keep her). The above photo was at dinner time. She was parked in a well lit area, directly under two video cameras, right in front of the restaurant entrance, and the two people at the front desk were in direct view of the Monaco. For extra precautions, I chatted with them to make sure that they were all aware of her. Given the ok weather, I thought this solution was actually better than risking a ding in one of the parking lots while I ate. The driver of the Mercedes parked right behind must have thought the same thing. Today marks Medina's return home (well, till I drive her to Carlisle next week).

Last edited:
Your wish is my command. Medina has clocked over 640 miles in the past four days, getting me to car shows / meetings in four Midwestern cities. Here she is, parked on (and improving the appearance of) a Chicago business district street yesterday evening.

View attachment 469785
I loved driving through Chicago. Someday Maggie and I will tour around the windy city either in her Fury III or the Boab. A photo op at the beginning of Rt.66 sign is on the bucket list!!

I am happy to report that the A/C system is now working again! As I posted earlier in the thread, many new parts recommended by @saforwardlook were installed by @71Polara383 last summer (many thanks to both of them), but the original compressor turned out to leak and so Wyatt had to replace it with a "new" one last fall. After a couple of missed chances for a charge this spring (at the super-heavily booked shop that has given good service and honest advice to him when we had first tried to get the system charged last summer), the system was finally re-charged this week by a local classic car mechanic with whom I've had good experiences. The process took two days (see details here), but the system now works!

It was a pleasant drive to meet @david hill (and some of Medina's cousins) ahead of a trip to Carlisle this Thursday. At a constant 70mph, with the A/C on and the windows closed, the car produced between 71 and 73.5 decibels depending on the road surface and the surroundings. The 72db average reading I got with my sound meter is quite impressive. While the reading is objectively and non-trivially higher than on good modern cars, the sound quality is very different -- much more pleasant. The Hankook Optimo H724 tires get some of the credit, as they are rather quiet.

Here is Medina, raring to go to Carlisle tomorrow (Thursday).

IMG_1315.JPG

Last edited:
That is a real milestone Ayilar! Congratulations and have a great trip to Carlisle in a pleasant, cool and quiet environment. That car is a beauty with those wheel covers, whitewalls and a good color combination plus Monaco's good looks. That is traveling in Monaco style!

Last edited:
I also just want to mention that I personally have a ton of respect for Wyatt's work and work ethic. He gets things done quickly and well and ensures that these 50 year old cars will run as reliably as possible where Ayilar can just get in and enjoy them without worries. That is a remarkable feat such that I wonder sometimes how many actually appreciate that reality. I spent just a couple days with Wyatt at my place a couple years ago and I was impressed with his intensity to get things done and done right. Keep up the great work!

Welll put — that is why I try to give Wyatt the credit that he is due in all my posts about the restoration. He has it all: the passion, the skills, and the ethics — and they were all needed to make Medina what she is now. I am grateful that he agreed 2.5 years ago (my, it’s been that long!) to work with me on this project —the first of several since :)

I can personally attest that Medina is a very well running and driving car, just like driving it off the dealer lot. Makes me want to get my NY in order now asap.

Thanks fellas! I'm still learning everyday, it wouldn't be possible if I didn't spend years of my life following restorations on various web forums and reading magazines front to back. Also it really helps having some of the smartest, well versed C body enthusiasts in the whole world a quick phone call or text message away.

Medina brought me safely to my next (i.e., post-Carlisle) destination yesterday: the two-hour drive went like a breeze, as the weather was gorgeous (warm but not humid) and the car drove really well and very comfortably.

The plan now is that she will return home later this summer for a few final adjustments: in particular, the interior front window scrapers need to be replaced (@saforwardlook pointed me to Dante's for replacements) and the brakes are strong but vibrate once hot (again, I will follow @saforwardlook 's advice and will get the rotors changed to Centric ones before the car returns home; when I replace the rotors, likely before Medina heads home, I will replace the pads even thought the current ones have only 5k miles on them). As well, the fan is now down to a single speed, so that will need to be fixed (whether it is a worn speed switch or the resistor, I will likely take the opportunity to replace them both).

Here is a photo that I took right before I left Carlisle yesterday (ahead of schedule due to business to be taken care of, unfortunately). The white 1965 Polara 4dr to her left, which was parked in front of the admissions building, hails from Kentucky. @Ripinator might be able to provide some more background on that car.

IMG_1494.JPG

Last edited:
Medina brought me safely to my next (i.e., post-carlisle) destination yesterday: the two-hour drive went like a breeze, as the weather was gorgeous (warm but not humid) and the car drove really well and very comfortably.

The plan now is that she will return home later this summer for a few final adjustments: in particular, the interior front window scrapers need to be replaced (@saforwardlook pointed me to Dante's for replacements) and the brakes are strong but vibrate once hot (again, I will follow @saforwardlook 's advice and will get the rotors changed to Centric ones before the car returns home; when I replace the rotors, likely before Medina heads home, I will replace the pads even thought the current ones have only 5k miles on them). As well, the fan is now down to a single speed, so that will need to be fixed (whether it is a worn speed switch or the resistor, I will likely take the opportunity to replace them both).

Here is a photo that I took right before I left Carlisle yesterday (ahead of schedule due to business to be taken care of, unfortunately). The white 1965 Polara 4dr to her left, which was parked in front of the admissions building, hails from Kentucky. @Ripinator might be able to provide some more background on that car.

View attachment 472629

Time for me to buy it so I can paint it in the correct color.

Time for me to buy it so I can paint it in the correct color.
If you are buying, then I am selling (at my cost, no markup). The car would be in good hands, which is what matters.

Back