Medina, a 1971 T-code Monaco

OK folks, time for an update on Medina.

Wyatt has taken the engine out, to change sundry gaskets and to clean it up. I would like to repaint it with VHT paint (SP148 flat primer, SP126 turquoise enamel, SP115 satin clear, plus SP998 satin iron for the exhaust manifolds). Comments/suggestions, before I order the paint cans from Summit?

Now for the main question: there is a marking on the engine ( A E D E if we decipher correctly). I wonder whether covering it with new paint would affect the car's appeal in any way? Before proceeding, I'd like feedback.

original markings 20200410_211120.jpg

Yep, numbers-matching! :)

The water pump is not original, obviously, and even if nothing else gets painted the pump housing needs to be repainted in the correct color (the can of "Mopar turquoise" bought locally last fall might have been correct for later cars but the shade is clearly not right for a '71).

Last edited:
Yep, the numbers match. The water pump is not original, obviously, and even if nothing else gets painted the pump housing needs to be repainted in the correct color (the can of "Mopar turquoise" bought locally last fall might have been correct for later cars but the shade is clearly not right for a '71).

Just never saw anything like that before...

Just never saw anything like that before...
I've seen some writing on the sides of a few different big blocks.

I'm unsure exactly what it means but I assume it had something to do with the assembly/final inspection process at the engine plant. I dont think it goes any further then that.

I've seen some writing on the sides of a few different big blocks.

I'm unsure exactly what it means but I assume it had something to do with the assembly/final inspection process at the engine plant. I dont think it goes any further then that.
I believe it has to deal with possibly how much in the hole the cylinder is. I thought I read something about it a while ago.

it is a reference to which size piston to use on the assembly line. Each bore was measured and marked, then sent down stream. They had a variety of pistons in .001 increments. Line workers grabbed the appropriate piston for each bore. Small block Chrysler used stamped letters on the pan rail. I think SB chebbie did too.

OK folks, time for an update on Medina.

Wyatt has taken the engine out, to change sundry gaskets and to clean it up. I would like to repaint it with VHT paint (SP148 flat primer, SP126 turquoise enamel, SP115 satin clear, plus SP998 satin iron for the exhaust manifolds). Comments/suggestions, before I order the paint cans from Summit?

Now for the main question: there is a marking on the engine ( A E D E if we decipher correctly). I wonder whether covering it with new paint would affect the car's appeal in any way? Before proceeding, I'd like feedback.

View attachment 367620

Michel: I don't know how close the Summit paint is to Chrysler turquoise. I used paint from Bill Hirsch on my engine. Here is how it came out:

img_20171104_111902691-jpg.jpg

Interesting theories on the significance of the printing but unless there is some documented evidence probably not something to worry about. If it was mine I'd take pics for posterity and paint it.

Almost looks like the writing was put on in some kind of grease marker, “pre-paint”. Looks like bare block where the paint didn’t slick and then revealed itself over the years. I never understood the inspection mark craze on the more expensive restorations, it just looks messy to me. Document it then make it look pretty.

When we took our Fury apart the brace from the core support? across to the grille/slam panel had "Gracie" etched into it with that style of writing, the car was in its original paint.
You couldn't see it when the car was in one piece, only when we took it apart.

Thanks for all the responses so far. @saforwardlook @david hill @CBODY67 @Davea Lux — any comments or suggestions about the markings?

I don't know how close the Summit paint is to Chrysler turquoise. I used paint from Bill Hirsch on my engine. Here is how it came out:
View attachment 367975

Rip, thank you for the photo! Your repainted engine looks great.

The color in the pic looks more turquoise than the color on my block, though. I wonder whether the ambient lighting might explain the difference, because I don’t think that the Chrysler paint color changed between 1966 and 1971 (Hirsch has the same color for all BB engines from ‘62 to ‘71). Do you happen to have a photo of your engine in sunlight? Alternatively @71Polara383 and I could use a color chart to put next to the engine to judge.

I have read other good things about the Hirsch paint here, and mostly good (but a couple of mixed) reviews of VHT.

Last edited:
Here are the letters stamped on my 71 360 block I’m building.
36265E47-1785-43DA-ACAE-67F2FB1DE8DA.jpeg
5BB40FC2-E16D-4AF2-9CF3-1B18DFD132CD.jpeg

Thanks for all the responses, Guys. @saforwardlook @david hill @CBODY67 @Davea Lux — any comments or suggestions about the markings?

Rip, thank you for the photo! Your repainted engine looks great.

The color in the pic looks more turquoise than the color on my block, though. I wonder whether the ambient lighting might explain the difference, or whether paint color changed between 1966 and 1971. Do you happen to have a photo of your engine in sunlight? Alternatively @71Polara383 and I could use a color chart to put next to the engine to judge.

I have read other good things about the Hirsch paint here, and mostly good (but a couple of mixed) reviews of VHT.

Michel: The picture I posted was taken under florescent light at the machine shop that rebuilt my engine, and of course my phone and our monitors could have affected the appearance of the color. Also, the paint on your engine looks like it is Chrysler corporate blue - not turquoise. I know turquoise is correct for '66 and later models up to at least '69 and maybe later - I think. I am very happy with the Bill Hirsch paint I used. It seems like all the other manufacturer's turquoise paint is just not quite correct. Here is another shot taken at The Garage Mahal with the doors open which admitted some daylight on the engine:

img_20171104_135606784-jpg.jpg

Oh yeah! Happy Easter everyone!

As Dana said,markings from the factory.
Covering them up is fine.
Did not think factory used turqoise past 1969.
70 went with corporate blue on all engines except the HP engines which went orange.

Happy Easter @Dana and everyone! Before we all go egg hunting, here is a photo that Wyatt took of VHT vs. Medina's original engine. He had some VHT when he replaced the water pump last year, but that was not enough and that's why he went with another paint to get Medina's water pump done in time for the CATL.

I am comparing it below to Rip's "natural light" photo. Adjusting for the darkness of the photo, this seems like the same shade of blue.

Medina_2019_repaint Resized_20200412_094919.jpg

Rip_Garajmahal.png

You really cannot use the paint on the engine as reference after 50 years worth of heating/cooling cycles and exposed to the elements.
Naturally it will be lighter than the new paint which will be darker as shown in Rip;s pic.

Mopar brand turquoise, about 40-50 heat cycles in.
7CA16AFC-551B-428B-A2A1-7893A3D2AB85.png

E4A1FBCB-538B-4DB5-BA3F-0D9A5A72BF1C.png
I’m not saying it’s right or wrong. I think it’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

Back