Medina, a 1971 T-code Monaco

Well folks, much has happened since the last update. Wyatt is almost done getting the car ready for the CATL. I had a pretty hard time finding vendors carrying inventory of the various parts we needed/wanted, so I am providing links to show where I found what I bought.

1. For the cooling system:

a. we replaced the water pump and radiator hoses. Following @saforwardlook's recommendation, I went for a Gates 42032 pump, 20630 molded upper hose, and 20663 molded lower hose -- all carried by Rock Auto. For good measure, we also replaced the thermostat and its gasket, buying from Summit a Stant 45478 T-stat and a Stant 27140 gasket. Attached are pictures of the water pump housing, after Wyatt cleaned it up and after he repainted it. The paint was billed as "Mopar blue" but I don't see the color as a perfect match -- no worries, it is well hidden.

View attachment 314913
View attachment 314917

b. Wyatt changed the heater hose nipples as well (I found new ones at Mancini Racing), after I had acquired the proper tool from an eBay vendor that make it much easier to change the nipples connecting the hoses. The tools are not cheap ($50) but well worth the time savings and they can be re-used for work on future cars. Attached is a photo of the old nipples after removal.

View attachment 314911

c. while he was at it, Wyatt replaced the timing chain and sprockets. The original sprockets still looked to be in amazingly good condition, but why risk it? The new heavy-duty set should last for longer than I won the car as I got (all from Summit) a Cloyes C-3044 timing chain and gear set (double rollers), Fel-Pro TCS124602 timing gasket kit. Here are two photos after installation.

View attachment 314916
View attachment 314914

d. the antifreeze was still the one in the car when I'd bought it. It was still green, which is good news (look at the above picture). Regardless, Wyatt flushed the system and put in fresh Zerex original green AF from NAPA.

2. While the cooling system was being worked on, and with the radiator out, Wyatt also replaced the fuel pump. I wanted to buy a Carter M4539, but with the Labor Day weekend it could not be delivered fast enough by the few vendors carrying it -- so Wyatt picked up a Precision 16110 from O'Reilly.

3. For the brakes:

a. the rotors were still fine (photo below), ditto for the drums. Hence, our initial thought was to just replace the hoses, the pads, and the fluid. I bought pads (NAPA Proformer D39-781) / hydraulic hoses (Raybestos BH35017 front from Summit Racing, Raybestos BH36651 rear center from Rock Auto) / fluid (Lucas Oil 10826-1, from Summit). It is amazing to me that different vendors will not carry the full line of Raybestos products, but mix and matches here and there.

View attachment 314897

b. as Wyatt started replacing the hoses, despite pre-soaking the fittings for a week in penetrating oil, he got a bad surprise: several of them were corroded, and they broke despite his best efforts (photo of the resulting mess below).

View attachment 314898
View attachment 314899

Wyatt could have tried to reflare with a new fitting but decided that all new lines would be the best in the long run. The saga of the search of lines is in another thread. I just want to give a big shout out to @saforwardlook and @sixpkrt, who both went WAY beyond the call of duty to help source/get/fit the right brake lines for '71-'73 C-bodies. As of tonight, Medina will be sporting brand new lines from The Right Stuff.

c. While I was at it, I also replaced the master cylinder (Raybestos MC36307 from RockAuto) and the clips (Dorman HW1407 from Summit); the original MC and clips were still fine, but I thought it would not hurt to be thorough. Do it once, do it right, never again. We could not find anyone carrying a booster I'd like, and rebuilders had too long of a lead time for my needs (CATL! CBCBQ!) so I decided to wait on the booster.

d. For the brake fluid change, I followed @Big_John's advice and got Wyatt a power bleeder. Bought from Summit the Motive Products 0105 kit and the 1820 Catch Bottles kit.

Dayum Michel! You guys are on fire. Your car is gonna drive and run really nice. While yer at it, are you going to replace the fan clutch? If its fifty years old, this would be a really good time to do it while everything is off the front of the engine.

I don't know how I missed this thread for so long, great looking car. Looks like your getting things worked out with Wyatt's help.

Finally got to drive Medina today for almost two hours, for the first time since Volo. What a difference Wyatt’s work has wrought — she is again quiet and at the same time powerful. The ride is smooth and composed. Love it!

Here she is on Friday evening, ready to be fed 93 ahead of the CATL this Saturday.

026AD9E3-C328-4ABA-B2B0-F6383F821A1A.jpeg

Last edited:
Following the CATL and @sixpkrt’ s CBCBQ, Medina has put on more than 500 miles through Lincoln’s great state. Here are pictures I took last night (when I stopped for dinner) and today (at picnic time) during a drive through the cornfields of Central Illinois.

Pretty obvious is the fact that the Waldron exhaust is too long by almost 2 inches. It’ll have to be scalloped down to the proper length.

C73E4587-AB50-4B58-B199-44483AAB0604.jpeg

64A6D295-D085-4066-8535-135F77E2B924.jpeg

5FB9F55F-3C2E-40FE-A1B7-3AAEE22F189E.jpeg

DA29DB82-F9CB-4A16-8D7A-247E45DD7656.jpeg

@fc7_plumcrazy: seriously, I took and posted that photo just for you!

This said, I won’t be fixing the cosmetics till I have all the mechanicals sorted out. The car is much smoother than it used to be, but is still not 100 percent in either Wyatt’s or my book. For the time being, I’m troubleshooting while using the car as my DD in the beautiful fall weather. For example, tonight I had a chance to check the wipers for the first time as the supposedly dry weather turned into a quick sprinkle.

822796FD-42E9-4D46-81AB-97B51A1D3EEE.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, time for an update and for a couple of pics, before Medina gets winterized and goes into hibernation.

I drove her almost 500 miles in the past couple of days and visited @david hill in Indianapolis and then @71Polara383 in Rockford. A key objective was to utilize a couple of work-related road trips to troubleshoot the vibrations that my last post alluded to. Yes, folks, fuselage C-bodies are still reliable daily drivers! Wyatt drove Medina another 80 miles today, as well. Along the way, a certain someone took a photo of the odometer at the 77,777 mark (the speedometer needle wiggles quite a bit, which is why the speed in the photo taken looks slightly higher than the 70mph speed limit at the location where the photo was taken -- the speedometer cable is on Wyatt's list of things he wants to do before we put her away for the winter).

1. The transmission does not seem to be guilty of any vibrations. It shifts as it should (though a RMS leak needs fixing). Rather:

a. David confirmed that the vibrations at idle were being transmitted by the Schumacher mounts. I now have concluded, based on 1k miles of driving in the space of 6 months, that the Schumies are indeed harsher than the original mounts. I understand the need to have mounts that do not fail, but there is -- as several people have pointed out -- a trade-off. The engine will come out in April for some tidying up, and I will put in the Mity Mounts at that time. Hopefully, they'll be smoother.

b. David traced, to two ever-so-slightly bent rear wheels, the vibrations that I had been feeling in the seat of my pants (i.e., in my tummy) when driving with fast traffic on the highway. I simply had not thought about bent wheels as possible culprits, and I had assumed away the possibility of unbalanced wheels because (i) they were allegedly balanced a few months ago when I replaced the tires and (ii) the vibrations come and go and only happen at a specific speed on the highway -- not at lower speeds, not at higher speeds. Wyatt suggested that now might be a good time to put on road wheels -- but I'd rather stick to the wheels and covers that I have on the car right now, as (a) they are original — that's what the car came with, (b) these wheel covers are unique to the senior fusie Dodges, and (iii, most importantly) I really like them. If anyone has two straight 15-inch steel wheels for my car, please PM me.

2. The cruise control works perfectly. The cruise always worked, as I noted before, but the "speed increase" button was rather sticky when I bought the car. After I spent some time last month to thoroughly clean the steering wheel and the stalks, it is now moving smoothly and quickly. That's a bonus of cleaning the interior: funny how the simplest solutions sometimes work (the wheels and stalks are also much more pleasant to use in their clean state).

3. Wyatt's work on the window tracks, stops, and windshield has eliminated 98% of the wind infiltrations into the cabin. Medina is much quieter underway as a result. Of course, the law of unintended consequences applies: I now hear much more of the tires' rumbling on the Illinois and Indiana concrete (the car remains refreshingly quiet on asphalt road portions) as well as the speedometer (the bouncing around is accompanied by some crickety shimmying) and a newly-developed metal squeak from the glove box lid. Wyatt will be fixing the cable and the box as soon as the rain stops (he got Medina back under cover right in the nick of time today).

4. I had considered keeping the rear air shocks, as they were only six months old when I bought the car earlier this year, but after this 500-mile trip I have decided that they'll be going. @saforwardlook recently asked me why I like the KYBs so much: they are much smoother than what's on Medina now and they are also less skittish -- IMO, the KYBs allow for more deliberate and precise steering than the air shocks.

5. Wyatt changed the front brake pads, the master cylinder, and all the brake lines a couple of months back, but we decided at the time to leave the rear drums unchanged. Well, David found that the passenger side drum was cast improperly (not centered), so it'll be going after the winter-- and I'll take this opportunity to change both drums (not just the RHS), the shoes, and also the rear axle bearings while we are at it.

That's it for now, folks. Comments and suggestions welcome! Here is Medina parked in Indiana next to David's beautiful 300 (that photo should please @fc7_plumcrazy), and then in Northern Illinois late last night (that one won’t...).

77777miles.jpeg

IMG_5067.JPG

IMG_5072.JPG

Last edited:
I just realized that I never posted photos of the new Waldron exhaust, which @71Polara383 installed before the CATL. As I may have mentioned before, the previous owner had installed duals to get "a cool sound." While the rumble was great, I wanted something more subdued for Medina as I want to be driving the car for long-distance tours. Not one to let good things go to waste, Wyatt used Medina's dual to replace a crumbling exhaust on the Monacucamonga; the dual fits that car's "rough and tumble" persona to a T.

Here are photos of the dual on Medina prior to replacement, and of the Waldron exhaust before and after installation. As you can see from the last picture (yes, it is @sixpkrt's 300 in the background), the tip is NOT what I was expecting: the angle is too sharp, and the pipe drops too far (i.e., it is too long) after the downward bend. I have notified Waldron, and am waiting to hear back.

There was another issue, which Wyatt plans to remedy before Medina goes into storage. He noticed that one of the exhaust hangers looked like a messed-up original (I am paraphrasing), and @david hill indeed traced a rattle to that very hanger (I am posting David's photo). I had recently bought a couple of NOS ones from @marty mopar (Arizona Parts; picture attached) in anticipation that the hanger was the culprit. I was right and Wyatt will be replacing the messed up hanger but, for a proper fix, we still need the exhaust hanger bracket (P/N 3466987): @GG-1 posted last fall what it looks like. I have been looking for that bracket (also called a clamp by some) for a few months but have not been lucky, so if anyone has one lying around, I am interested.

Duals before removal:
Resized_20190331_161213.jpg

Resized_20190331_161131.jpg

Waldron exhaust before installation:
Resized_20190829_110308.jpg

Resized_20190829_110324.jpg

New pipe installed:
Resized_20190904_153926(1).jpg

Resized_20190904_153941(1).jpg

Exhaust tip not looking right:
Resized_20190904_153945.jpg

IMG_4374 exhaust tip.jpg

Messed-up hanger:
Photo from David Hill Resized_20191025_151357.jpg

Arizona Parts NOS (two):
Resized_20191024_205105.jpg

Last edited:
Today, Nov. 16, is Medina’s 49th birthday. Here is what I got her as a present: a NOS exhaust hanger, complete with the bracket and bolts/washers.

This is the front tailpipe hanger [right over the rear axle] for fuselage C-body BB Dodge and Chrysler models with single exhaust. For 1969 to 1971, it is P/N 2823933; for 1971 to 1973, the P/N is 3466646 -- I am not sure of any difference between the two. @71Polara383, who has seen both parts, cannot see any obvious difference either.

The two 3466646 hangers I bought a few weeks ago are correct and in very good NOS condition (one is available, if anyone is interested; I am keeping a spare) but they lacked the bracket or clamp (P/N 3466987), the two bolts, and the two lock washers meant to fasten the tailpipe to the hanger. After searching far and wide for the bracket, I gave up and paid the price for the complete setup. The yellow paint is from the factory.

4D85C74B-3FA5-4552-9CDF-213BD6763EE3.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, it is going to be time for Medina to get ready for the driving season. She came out of storage for the first time today.

On the "to do" list are (i) correcting the exhaust tip (Waldron came through and sent me the correct last piece for free after I sent them the above pic -- kudos to them), (ii) installing new rear shocks (KYB KG5512 from Summit, to replace the air shocks that the previous owner had installed back in 2018), (iii) fixing the speedometer needle wobble at highway speeds (hopefully, it's just a matter of lubricating the cable), (iv) replacing a gasket that leaks when the car is moving (not when standing, which was a good thing during storage) and... (v) redoing the front seats. @sixpkrt has recommended an upholsterer and I decided to bite the bullet, as I intend to put quite a few miles on her later this year (virus situation permitting).

I not only want to replace the seat covers with the correct material but also to install new foam (and possibly new springs). Any suggestions about springs and foam would be most welcome.

Here is Medina today, saying hello for the first time to her 1970 cousin Snow White. The photo is courtesy @71Polara383

20200327_160538.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, it is going to be time for Medina to get ready for the driving season. She came out of storage for the first time today.

On the "to do" list are (i) correcting the exhaust tip (Waldron came through and sent me the correct last piece for free after I sent them the above pic -- kudos to them), (ii) installing new rear shocks (KYB KG5512 from Summit, to replace the air shocks that the previous owner had installed back in 2018), (iii) fixing the speedometer needle wobble at highway speeds (hopefully, it's just a matter of lubricating the cable), (iv) replacing a gasket that leaks when the car is moving (not when standing, which was a good thing during storage) and... (v) redoing the front seats. @sixpkrt has recommended an upholsterer and I decided to bite the bullet, as I intend to put quite a few miles on her later this year (virus situation permitting).

I not only want to replace the seat covers with the correct material but also to install new foam (and possibly new springs). Any suggestions about springs and foam would be most welcome.

Here is Medina today, saying hello for the first time to her 1970 cousin Snow White. The photo is courtesy @71Polara383

View attachment 363868
Sweet!

I really enjoyed this thread and very much appreciate your attention to details being posted for those of us who might do this in the future.
Will I be seeing this car at Carlisle this year?

I really enjoyed this thread and very much appreciate your attention to details being posted for those of us who might do this in the future.
Will I be seeing this car at Carlisle this year?

Thank you for the positive feedback!

It is highly unlikely that Medina will make it this year -- instead, the plan is for her to join in 2021 fr her 50th birthday. This year (virus permitting), I plan to bring my two 1970 Polara 'verts, Poppy and Snow White for a big reunion of the Last Convertibles.

Back