Meet Lucy

Reaction score
Today, my wife and I brought home Lucy, from a rescue. She’s wonderful, 3 years old and is for some reason, sticking with me. It may be because I always have a bunch of liver flavored treats in my pocket.

She was hit by a car when she was 9 months old and had to have her left rear leg amputated. The owner couldn’t afford the surgeries, so she ended up with the rescue. One of the rescue workers adopted her, but had to give her up, as she’s pregnant and her baby has issues that prevent her from having pets.

My wife and I are both excited to have her added to our family!

IMG_4028.jpeg
IMG_4029.jpeg

What a beautiful pooch! I hope Lucy has landed at her permanent spot In life and fits in nicely.
Looks like a good soul.

Rescue dogs are great. I really think they appreciate having a good home and show it.

My last two dogs were rescues.

This guy, a Great Dane, had a rough life. The story was he was left in a house trailer with a bunch of other dogs. One ear had a bite shaped piece missing. He was rescued and the head of a Great Dane rescue had him for a while, but got sick and passed. He was then "rehomed" with this crazy woman who let him run the neighborhood. She decided she didn't want him, something she'd done with other rescue dogs and Mrs. Big John got a call from a friend in a Dane rescue in North Carolina. We drove down and picked him up. We had him for about 4 years and we lost him 6 years ago.

He was a great dog.. Here he is on a NAPA run.

l97fjU8.jpg

The dog we have now came from a rescue just west of us. We were told he was left outside, chained up, 24/7. The fur around his neck showed that to be probably true. He also had what they call a "cherry eye" that was never repaired. The rescue got that fixed and he has healed up nicely. They figured he is a Great Dane/Mastiff mix, but I don't know. The rescue moved us to the front of the list for this guy because we had "big dog and Great Dane experience. We've had him almost 4 years now. Another great dog... I wish I could clone him.

E4aMVgu.jpg

VnMJjML.jpg

Last edited:
Great stories, John! What a great way to enjoy life with such dedicated animals!

When my wife enquired about Lucy (she was at a rescue near Minneapolis - 5 hours away), the application had asked for a vet we would use.
I located one nearby and put it on the application.
During our conversation, we found out that the vet we chose is attached to the rescue and the person we’re adopting her from is friends with the vet. Amazing!

Lucy’s doing great and we’re heading to a grocery store trip today.

Tomorrow, she’ll join me in the shop for a time.

IMG_4038.jpeg

Years ago I had a German Shepard that lost his left rear leg too. He was a great dog and did quite well on 3 legs. Of course he kinda hopped when he walked but when he ran you couldn't tell his was missing a leg. Congratulations on the new family member.

Rescue dogs are great. I really think they appreciate having a good home and show it.

My last two dogs were rescues.

This guy, a Great Dane, had a rough life. The story was he was left in a house trailer with a bunch of other dogs. One ear had a bite shaped piece missing. He was rescued and the head of a Great Dane rescue had him for a while, but got sick and passed. He was then "rehomed" with this crazy woman who let him run the neighborhood. She decided she didn't want him, something she'd done with other rescue dogs and Mrs. Big John got a call from a friend in a Dane rescue in North Carolina. We drove down and picked him up. We had him for about 4 years and we lost him 6 years ago.

He was a great dog.. Here he is on a NAPA run.

View attachment 637196

The dog we have now came from a rescue just west of us. We were told he was left outside, chained up, 24/7. The fur around his neck showed that to be probably true. He also had what they call a "cherry eye" that was never repaired. The rescue got that fixed and he has healed up nicely. They figured he is a Great Dane/Mastiff mix, but I don't know. The rescue moved us to the front of the list for this guy because we had "big dog and Great Dane experience. We've had him almost 4 years now. Another great dog... I wish I could clone him.

View attachment 637200

View attachment 637198
I see your new pooch is a lap dog. Your whole lap and then some:lol:

Back