Might be getting back one of my old cars...

thrashingcows

Reaction score
This is the one car I restored with virtually no expense spared.

F2gjgsrh.jpg

NuDR5ggh.jpg

Gt2FcDUh.jpg

UEo6V2mh.jpg

eGL9CuDh.jpg

I sold it back around 2000/2001 when we had one young child and second on the way, so the car reluctantly went up for sale to pay off dept so we could afford our first home.

Fast forward to around March 2020 when I was doing a random internet search for something and a pic of a car came up...I looked at it and thought this might be my old car. I did a reverse search on the image and found a small buy/sell website with an expired ad for the car...and it sure did look like my car.

So I have been posting want ads on that site, as well as on the local area Kijiji and Craigslist every now and then for the last couple years. Well a guy called me out of the blue last week who said he has the car, and it turns out it is the same fellow who bought the car from me 20+ years ago! And he is willing to sell the car.

He says it's been in a heated garage this whole time and he's put maybe a couple thousand miles on it. He said the only thing that has been replaced was the fuel tank, fuel pump, filter and carb from gumming up from sitting. Other then that he claims that there is not a single scratch or ding that wasn't on the car when I sold it....pics will confirm this claim.

I never thought I would see the car again to be honest, and so I have been looking for a 71 Superbee for a year or so now, but to have the opportunity to acquire this car again after so many years, along with the associated memories and lessons and experience I learned while restoring it is priceless, and an opportunity this will likely not come my way again.

I received a bunch of pics of the car today and it is as he stated, it has not changed much at all in all this time. Little more dust and grime on the motor from smal valve cover leaks etc, but over all I can't see any major deterioration in the car.:thumbsup:

Cool car and good memories.
Hope everything works out with getting your old Coronet back.

Very cool! Congratulations!

I had a similar situation happen with a car.

Something to think about; suppose you didn’t sell it back then and you had to pay say…..$75 monthly for storage and insurance on the car over those 22 years…that’s almost $20,000. So just deduct that amount from the current purchase price and don’t look back!!!

Congratulations

Very cool! Congratulations!

I had a similar situation happen with a car.

Something to think about; suppose you didn’t sell it back then and you had to pay say…..$75 monthly for storage and insurance on the car over those 22 years…that’s almost $20,000. So just deduct that amount from the current purchase price and don’t look back!!!

Congratulations

That is almost my exact train of thought on the price paid now versus what I sold it for. ;) And to be honest the numbers work out almost exactly as your example...:lol: But I think storage and insurance over the 20+ years would have been a heck of a lot more then $75 a month....:wideyed:

Spoke with the guy today about my old coronet and we've agreed on a price! Have lots of logistics to sort out but at least we can start moving forward, So getting closer to being mine again.

He did say that he wasn't completely ready to sell the car and had turned down offers the last couple years, but when he saw that I was looking for it he thought that who else would appreciate the car as much as him if not the fellow who restored it! So that is why he contacted me...:thumbsup:

Ive decided that I'm going to fly in to see the car, and meet the fellow who has taken care of it all this time. Be nice to have some stories and pictures of us together with the car to add to the Coronets history and story.

He's still pretty firm on the cash deal so I will probably sort that out at the same time I'm there, then it will just be finding transport.

Congrats!
Sometimes life can come in a full circle.
As you already may know, 68 Coronet 500 verts are very rare.
Glad to see you are getting back your Unicorn!

So been trying to sort out the cash payment and things are not going as I had hoped.

I deal with a large national bank and figured I could give them a couple weeks notice and just set up the cash withdrawal at one of their local banks in his area of the country, then fly in and go to the bank and pick up the money....but it turns out that they are not keen on this for the simple fact that I'm not from the "area" and they are hesitant to release those kind of funds because of this.
:(

I have been a customer for over 30 years with this bank, you wouldn't think that this would even be an issue.

So been trying to sort out the cash payment and things are not going as I had hoped.

I deal with a large national bank and figured I could give them a couple weeks notice and just set up the cash withdrawal at one of their local banks in his area of the country, then fly in and go to the bank and pick up the money....but it turns out that they are not keen on this for the simple fact that I'm not from the "area" and they are hesitant to release those kind of funds because of this.
:(

I have been a customer for over 30 years with this bank, you wouldn't think that this would even be an issue.
Maybe a cashiers check would work. Fly in pay the man and All done.

Wire transfer from bank to bank.

I haven't contacted him yet since my initial findings, with this information he may be amenable to another for of payment....he seems like a pretty decent guy and has said he would "prefer" cash but in our conversations I did not get the sense that this was set in stone.

Couple years ago I bought some haying equipment from a New Holland dealer north of Milwaukee Wisconsin. The Canadian dollar was at par with Us dollar.
I paid with a "Bank Cheque " in US funds.
It's as good as cash, and if for some reason, after seeing the car you change your mind you return the cheque to your bank.

Another Update....Finally got the cash deal sorted out, spoke with multiple people within the National Bank organization about how to proceed, got the final confirmation from a manager at a bank in his local area that is fine with me flying in and then picking up the cash.:thumbsup:

Deposit on the car has been sent, and I have booked my flights there and back towards the end of May....so the car is almost officially mine again!

Last edited:
Back