Mini Starter Woes....

I'll keep it short because the whole explanation is extremely long.
Many mini starters won't work because the mounting flange is improperly machined. It looks like the starter fits perfectly but it's not.
TWICE, I've had to take a grinder to them to fit perfectly flush and aligned.
One of them was from Bouchelon and I paid top dollar for.

Well I guess I'll eat my hat now. Or maybe during the extremly long explanation.
:popcorn:

Did a test fit and it seems that at the flange where it mounts over the stud, there some interference. Won't let it seat correctly. Not on the face of the mounting surface, but rather on the outside edge, adjacent to the face. Will try taking off a tiny bit of material. There's also a difference in the housing, but it isn't causing any issues.

Someday I will have a hoist. That day can't come soon enough!

Did a test fit and it seems that at the flange where it mounts over the stud, there some interference. Won't let it seat correctly. Not on the face of the mounting surface, but rather on the outside edge, adjacent to the face
That would have been my longer explanation. Exactly. Lol.
There ya go, Carmine.

Very interesting. I'd like to know how/why this is/isn't an issue when the starter is used in the proper application.

Someday I will have a hoist. That day can't come soon enough!

And henceforth why I'm putting so much effort into getting my current house done and on the market!

Sigh. Mini starter - 1, Christine - 0. Finally figured out where the fitment issue is. The solenoid housing protrudes slightly more (maybe 1/8") than the factory housing (will post pics later). I can only assume that it's specific to this specific starter. For now, I'm sticking with the old school starter. I'll keep this one around for a smaller motor. Perhaps it will work better on a 318 or 360.

Sigh. Mini starter - 1, Christine - 0. Finally figured out where the fitment issue is. The solenoid housing protrudes slightly more (maybe 1/8") than the factory housing (will post pics later). I can only assume that it's specific to this specific starter. For now, I'm sticking with the old school starter. I'll keep this one around for a smaller motor. Perhaps it will work better on a 318 or 360.

Take it back. I personally don't like the sound of the new starters, but for a daily driver (which I have a feel you'll be doing with this '73) they're better. The faster spin means fewer problems with fuel evaporation and heat soak. That's why I have the new style on the truck. Find a different brand with the right solenoid.

Take it back has been my thought the whole time, compare the new one to the just installed unit, and see if it's any better. If not, get your money back and go somewhere else. The folks behind the counter shouldn't give you any crap, especially if it's a fitment issue. I got a bunch of mini starters when I worked at CarQuest, RIP!, and haven't had any issues with any of them.

(Wondering how the replacement mini-starters differ from the ones which Mopar Perf sells? As to the particular application they used as their "base"?)

I wanted to compare it with another one in stock, but I bought the last one. I'll see what another parts store has. As for taking it back, probably won't fly. I grinded quite a bit off the housing in one spot (at the flange). Doesn't impact performance, but it's pretty clear it's been used! Thanks for the help - I will get the new part and will post when it's in! :)

I wanted to compare it with another one in stock, but I bought the last one. I'll see what another parts store has. As for taking it back, probably won't fly. I grinded quite a bit off the housing in one spot (at the flange). Doesn't impact performance, but it's pretty clear it's been used! Thanks for the help - I will get the new part and will post when it's in! :)
Tell them it was defective. Give it a shot, if you approach them honestly, you have a decent chance, you'd be surprised.

Unless they looked at it when you bought it, then who's to know if the "grinding" was done by you or when that part was cast and cleaned up when it was cast incorrectly? NOT to try to take advantage of them, but . . .

I'll keep it short because the whole explanation is extremely long.
Many mini starters won't work because the mounting flange is improperly machined. It looks like the starter fits perfectly but it's not.
TWICE, I've had to take a grinder to them to fit perfectly flush and aligned.
One of them was from Bouchelon and I paid top dollar for.
Listen to us old farts, read at the bottom.
Moparts on the Web - Main Index

Actually if it was the solenoid interfering with the fit, I'm most interested in seeing a pic of that + knowing the brand/store.

I plan on comparing this one to another one, so that I can really tell how far off it is. And will post the brand, store & model #. Who knows, maybe it's just this particular one.

When I replaced the starter on my 383 with the mini, I had to trim a small boss on my block for the starter to sit flush. Works great and much faster than the old one. Good luck.

The solenoid should push the starter pinion gear out so it is pre-engaged with the ring gear on the torque converter before the contacts close to run the starter motor. Thus, if you hear the starter motor running, the gears should already be engaged.

The one-way clutch on the Bendix drive is defective or burned out. The motor shaft is spinning, but the gear is not moving. The starter was not rebuilt/tested properly. Take it back to the store.

Here's the interference I was talking about. This particular new mini-starter has a bump out at the solenoid side, which contacts the engine block. I wasted time filing down areas that I *thought* were hitting, but I was wrong all along. It wasn't off by much, but enough to prevent the starter from engaging the flywheel. Live and learn!!!!

Good news is, my T & C still has that unique starter sound. I installed an old style starter and it fired up right away!!! So happy :) Hearing some lifter noise, but everything else seems good so far. Will start checking everything over this weekend. Thanks for your help. Always good to know there's a whole bunch of other c-body aficionados out there.

My grinding efforts.jpg

Original starter.jpg

Starter Interference.jpg

Claire with T and C.jpg

Back