mixing hp and non hp manifolds

Ran across this video recently, where @tallzag mentions the 72 C-body U-codes have an HP manifold on the passenger side and a std log on the driver side. (IIRC that's what he said, and what I saw in hte video).
So that's opposite of the cars noted above.Maybe that's why the 'musclecars' had to have a log on the passenger side, all the E86 C-body copcars used them up. :lol:

72 Polara WSP

I believe the 68/69 383 2 barrel chargers came with a drivers side hp manifold and a non hp manifold on the passenger side. Kim
They did, and so did this odd Newport. Nice big single exhaust, huge muffler too, which has split. Not too loud YET, but a matter of time... I reckon a modestly priced RH HP manifold might yield a few extra ponies in the high revs, though I seldom use that. I KNOW dual pipes help this motor breathe, and it runs better with larger exhaust valves too.....

Just last night I bought a passenger side HP manifold from Tony’s Parts; did not know they were prone to cracking.

Just last night I bought a passenger side HP manifold from Tony’s Parts; did not know they were prone to cracking.

You BET they are! That was the FUD that prevented me from spending cash on one for $89 I saw on eBay. My other reason for not buying is that the extra power one gets from these comes at higher revs, and my ride is used at lower revs 99% of the time. Further reading on this indicates I'm better off WITH some back pressure on those exhaust valves for more thump on the power stroke. Such is consistent with closed chamber design heads. Mind you, I don't want much back pressure, but for now, will leave well enough alone.

I believe the 68/69 383 2 barrel chargers came with a drivers side hp manifold and a non hp manifold on the passenger side. Kim

'68 B, and C, body 2bbl manual transmission applications used the same left side manifold as the similar 383 4bbl dual exhaust versions as well as the 440 HP engine.

68_Exhaust_Manifolds_edit.jpg

Back