Mopar 507 Stroker Build

In my dyno tests on a 496 wedge the Victor intake didn't start making more torque than the RPM intake until 5,000 rpm. And then it only averaged about 8 lb-ft. I guess it depends on what rpm you will spend most of your time. With the engine size, head and cam combination, the peak horsepower is going to come well below 6,000 rpm. I pretty much agree with Moper except that I insist on bushing the hydraulic roller lifter bores and find the solid rollers don't need bushed bores. Mor'in one way to skin a cat.

The upper rear shock mount was never meant to a suspension point. Bad idea to use springs on the shocks back there.

A 507 is going to make north of 600 ft/lbs @ 3500-4000 RPM by accident and it will start getting serious from about 1500 RPM on. With Stealth heads it will be pretty much all done by 5000 RPM unless they are seriously ported as in CNC'd with final hand finessing. Performer RPM minimum or the Indy dual plane intake for max bottom end torque but with 500+ cubes a single plane won't kill much bottom end.

That cam should do the trick but I would avoid the XE lobe profile. They tend to beat up the valve train especially with hydraulic lifters.

My 9:1 493 makes 600 ft/lbs with an M1 and an MP509.

With a 3000ish converter a 3.23 gear will be more than sufficient. With aluminum heads, zero deck and a .039 head gasket you should be good to 11:1 and change on 94 and a good bit more if you have E85. Should do 600ish HP with the CNC heads, easy mid 11's at 3800 lbs.

Kevin

493 ci torque gain or loss ( ) with the port matched RPM and ported RPM vs port matched Victor. All numbers are gains unless noted as ( ).

Gasket matched RPM peaks were 640 TQ and 627 HP
Ported RPM peaks were 639 TQ and 640 HP

rpm...............p/m RPM..............ported RPM
4600................(5).........................2
4800...............(1)...........................1
4900.................1..........................(3)
5000................(6)........................(2)
5100................(9).........................2
5200................(3).........................6
5300................(1)........................(2)
5400.................5..........................(5)
5500................(6)..........................7
5600................(4)........................(2)
5700..............(12).........................3
5800...............(6)..........................1
5900.............(15)..........................7

Update*** ordered the stroker kit, girdle kit, head bolts, acquired a Mopar M1 single plane intake, and a Holley 850 Carb, I will order the cam kit at the end of this week and maybe even the heads, thank you for everyone that has given advice

A 507 is going to make north of 600 ft/lbs @ 3500-4000 RPM by accident and it will start getting serious from about 1500 RPM on. With Stealth heads it will be pretty much all done by 5000 RPM unless they are seriously ported as in CNC'd with final hand finessing. Performer RPM minimum or the Indy dual plane intake for max bottom end torque but with 500+ cubes a single plane won't kill much bottom end.

That cam should do the trick but I would avoid the XE lobe profile. They tend to beat up the valve train especially with hydraulic lifters.

My 9:1 493 makes 600 ft/lbs with an M1 and an MP509.

With a 3000ish converter a 3.23 gear will be more than sufficient. With aluminum heads, zero deck and a .039 head gasket you should be good to 11:1 and change on 94 and a good bit more if you have E85. Should do 600ish HP with the CNC heads, easy mid 11's at 3800 lbs.

Kevin
I have looked into the MP cams and im going to do some more searching before buying one, the heads will be fully cnc machined

I have looked into the MP cams and im going to do some more searching before buying one, the heads will be fully cnc machined
Imo MP cams are little outdated. I would ask Comp, Crane, Hughes what kind cams they recommend. They may have even nice custom grinds for your engine and car.

Imo MP cams are little outdated. I would ask Comp, Crane, Hughes what kind cams they recommend. They may have even nice custom grinds for your engine and car.
Funny that you say that because im calling comp today haha Im a huge fan of Comp Cams and have used them in many cars, my old mustang and I had a cam in my dodge truck

Funny that you say that because im calling comp today haha Im a huge fan of Comp Cams and have used them in many cars, my old mustang and I had a cam in my dodge truck

I would call Dwayne Porter and tell him what you are building and what you expect from it. He is a Comp dealer and has a pretty serious reputation for custom spec'ing the right cam for your needs the first time. He knows what lobe profiles work with Mopar heads and is a go to guy for porting also. He won't sell you something that won't work right.

If you call Comp you will just get some lackey on the phone that will sell you whatever he thinks you want whether it's what you need or not.

Porter Racing Heads
South Burlington, VT (802) 951-1955 Dwayne

Kevin

If you still have time. SKIP the 440 Source CNC heads. For the price absolutely without a doubt buy TrickFlows CNC heads. Far superior in design and build quality. Cheap heads from a cheap company 9 times out of 10 means a garbage valve job, garbage tolerances, and garbage parts. I see it time and time again.

If you still have time. SKIP the 440 Source CNC heads. For the price absolutely without a doubt buy TrickFlows CNC heads. Far superior in design and build quality. Cheap heads from a cheap company 9 times out of 10 means a garbage valve job, garbage tolerances, and garbage parts. I see it time and time again.
ill look into them, these heads are not actually assembled by 440 source themselves but a reputable head shop in Michigan, as far as different heads go there are limited options that will fit aand clear with the headers, the headers are mad specifically for this car and are known to work with certain heads

ill look into them, these heads are not actually assembled by 440 source themselves but a reputable head shop in Michigan, as far as different heads go there are limited options that will fit aand clear with the headers, the headers are mad specifically for this car and are known to work with certain heads

I hear ya. The Trick Flow heads do not change a thing header wise. They are meant to be a stock replacement. But yeah check them out. They've applied a modern combustion chamber design and is far superior to most any other Mopar head out there. And the CNC portwork is top notch.

I hear ya. The Trick Flow heads do not change a thing header wise. They are meant to be a stock replacement. But yeah check them out. They've applied a modern combustion chamber design and is far superior to most any other Mopar head out there. And the CNC portwork is top notch.
changed my mind! buying the trick flows! I did some research and found those to be a better choice! since they are direct replacement they hopefully will work with my headers

changed my mind! buying the trick flows! I did some research and found those to be a better choice! since they are direct replacement they hopefully will work with my headers

Good choice my friend. Glad I could help you out. I'd also recommend pairing those heads with one of their intakes. If you are going with a single plane intake. And you can even go as far as their matched camshaft. Or go with a custom grind to match your car.

Good choice my friend. Glad I could help you out. I'd also recommend pairing those heads with one of their intakes. If you are going with a single plane intake. And you can even go as far as their matched camshaft. Or go with a custom grind to match your car.

For now im going to stick with my intake and cam considering ive already paid then off, a Mopar M1 single plane and comp cam kit

Back