Mopar Fuel Tank Sending Unit tool, wrench ... any available from forum members?

68NewportDDD

Reaction score
MOPAR Fuel Tank Sending Unit,Tool Wrench, A-Body B-Body E-body C-Body | eBay

I replaced the tank & sending unit; Used the original lock ring like the elders recommend (used a new gasket). I am leaking gas! (grumble grumble grumble) The lock ring is off center. (I have no idea what I am doing...just winging it but I am having fun).

The tank has MAYBE 3 gallons of gas in it.

2 questions:
A) Is there ANY CHANCE I can fix this WITHOUT dropping the tank (I have about 0 luck getting anything else to drop - panties, testicles, the next new hit song)? I have been beating on the lock ring with the limited space I have with no success (multiple different tools, mainly a ball peen hammer and a flat head screwdriver). Any other ideas in terms of combinations of tools or maybe Cracker Jack Box surprise toys?

and 2) If I HAVE to DROP IT LIKE IT'S HOT, anybody got one 'dem wrenches they want to send me? I see NO POINT in ordering a new one when there are probably 3,000 folks on this thread that have already done the same thing and now have this oversized bottle opener sittin in their toolbox just taking up space.

We can figure out shipping and I will send it right back. I KNOW it would be easier to just order a new one for myself and let it take up space in my box (I use a wheeled cooler for my toolbox actually) ... sounds like we could have a pretty exclusive club actually - I could print up t-shirts! I COULD do that but what fun would it be?

Tell me something! Thanks for the help.

D

No need for any other tool then the one you bought! Try adding another gasket to the new one you already installed, use small amount of grease between the 2 gaskets so they slide and try again. It will be a ***** getting it started, just do it. It's about the only solution to stopping a leak with the thinner gaskets now days. Then report back. Good Luck

If the lock ring is off center then you have in on wrong. So take it off, get all the dirt and sand out so the lock ring can turn smoothly, install it and rotate it with a gloved had as far as possible. I then just tap the ring with a screwdriver and hammer to get it tight.

I wouldn’t use grease, gas will just eat it. And the gasket doesn’t need to slide the lock ring does.

I wouldn’t use grease, gas will just eat it. And the gasket doesn’t need to slide the lock ring does.

You totally missed my point! So then why bother putting gas in the tank if it will eat the gasket??? Kinda defeats the purpose don't you think?

No the gas will eat the grease. I used a modern replacement gasket recently and it worked fine. But only ethanol free gas is in the tank so far.

Of course modern Parts for me is 3 years old. LOL.

Does it take double gaskets to seal up now? That doesn’t sound good.

Cheaper to buy the wrench than ship it back and forth.

If you don't want it when you're done, sell it here and recoup most of your cash.

No the gas will eat the grease. Does it take double gaskets to seal up now? That doesn’t sound good.

After it's installed it doesn't matter if it eats the grease or not, It's not needed anymore after installation! Only to help slide the gaskets while twisting the lock ring.
It's the only way I could make mine not leak. This was over 20 years ago and it's still good.
If you have any better ideas, I'm all ears?

That's a good tool but it doesn't guarantee the ring will be centered. Yes, brass punch is all you need. If it's cocked a bit at the end, tap it sideways to center it.

I see CBODY67 agrees on something I said? You care to throw your 2 cents on what's agreeable?

@ Big John - agreed; cheaper to just buy it, use it for it's purpose, and then sell it on here to the next unfortunate bloke that does the same thing that I did.

But wouldn't it be more fun to stat passing one around? Yeah it might be more expensive but if we passed the tool around it would have a story to tell, wouldn't it? Everyone that uses it can sign it or put their distinct mark on it. Makes you wonder how far around it would get, doesn't it? You use it, yu mark it, you send it on it's journey probably never to see it again but it sure would make a cool story... A hundred years from now after we are all gone and buried that tool will still be around...still getting passed around.

Just a thought....

You know, since I don't have a wife. Why don't you send me yours and when I'm done using her I'll send her to someone else. (Send a pic first though) I'll mark her distinctly so it'll be a cool story in a few years. If your wife is good looking enough, I'll let her use my tool, but you aren't gonna touch it, sorry! :lol:

(All in fun, I just couldn't resist!)

After it's installed it doesn't matter if it eats the grease or not, It's not needed anymore after installation! Only to help slide the gaskets while twisting the lock ring.
It's the only way I could make mine not leak. This was over 20 years ago and it's still good.
If you have any better ideas, I'm all ears?
Are you putting the second Gasket between the lock ring and the sender? Or double stacking the gasket. I’m a bit slow today, sorry.

I got a new tank from Vans and the original lock ring just wouldn’t center correctly and leaked. I ended up buying a replacement original style from Detroit Muscle and it didn’t work either. Decided to use the lock ring that came with the tank and it sealed perfectly.

@ Big John - agreed; cheaper to just buy it, use it for it's purpose, and then sell it on here to the next unfortunate bloke that does the same thing that I did.

But wouldn't it be more fun to stat passing one around? Yeah it might be more expensive but if we passed the tool around it would have a story to tell, wouldn't it? Everyone that uses it can sign it or put their distinct mark on it. Makes you wonder how far around it would get, doesn't it? You use it, yu mark it, you send it on it's journey probably never to see it again but it sure would make a cool story... A hundred years from now after we are all gone and buried that tool will still be around...still getting passed around.

Just a thought....
Are you high?

You know, since I don't have a wife. Why don't you send me yours and when I'm done using her I'll send her to someone else. (Send a pic first though) I'll mark her distinctly so it'll be a cool story in a few years. If your wife is good looking enough, I'll let her use my tool, but you aren't gonna touch it, sorry! :lol:

(All in fun, I just couldn't resist!)
Well played sir!

Are you high?
Damn beat me 2it, was waiting to use this one.

DRAGNET.PRETTY.HIGH.&.FAR.OUT.jpg

Back