Mopar Fuel Tank Sending Unit tool, wrench ... any available from forum members?

I admire Rocket Surgery!!

Did quite a bit of work (surgery) on these two. (actually "missiles", not "rockets" though)
0506151458a.jpg

End result of all the "surgery".........
Img_7565.jpg

Img_7332.jpg

it took me a combination of 3 sets , 1 nos and two repros, to find the right combo that didn't leak. i don't think they are all made by the same manufacturer as 1 gasket and one ring were thicker and one of the lock rings tabs weren't tall enough to catch properly. i think i ended up with the thick o ring and the nos lock ring.

How the heck do you do that WITHOUT dropping the tank? I finally gave up, pulled the tank, drained it, and reinstalled everything. I tried re-positioning the lock ring without dropping the tank; I couldn't get enough torque on the hammer to get the ring to move. Turns out I had the gasket mis-placed anyway so pulling the tank ended up being necessary. Also gave me a chance to hit the original lock ring with a good sanding to clean off the rust.

It was trivial! I used the tool to get the old unit off, put the new one on, with about 3-5 gallons down in the bottom of the tank. I used the old lock ring. The gasket IS thin, but I've had little leaking. When the tank is overfilled, I get some from the vents, but not near the sending unit. The tank was hanging on its straps, just as it normally does for the 5 minutes it took to replace the sending unit.

Update: Got the gasket installed PROPERLY! Got the lock ring in and centered. Tank hung back up again. NO LEAKS! With the new tank, sending unit, new fuel filters and rubber lines it seems to be running better than before. I had her out in stop & go traffic for about an hour Friday evening and she ran great. No issues with anything! :)

Update: Got the gasket installed PROPERLY! Got the lock ring in and centered. Tank hung back up again. NO LEAKS! With the new tank, sending unit, new fuel filters and rubber lines it seems to be running better than before. I had her out in stop & go traffic for about an hour Friday evening and she ran great. No issues with anything! :)

I REJOICE to see this! FWIW, I run from the point where the steel line goes into the frame rail an EPDM 5/16" line instead, roughly parallel to the old steel line, which remains in the frame rail. This state of things came with the car, so I just bought new EPDM line for the nonce. One advantage to this is that I can place the inline filter right there, where I join the steel line from the tank to the EPDM line, thus minimizing exposure to heat. I also run the rubber line inside a run of 1/2" sealtight flex for mechanical and thermal protection. This has born good fruit on those days when I must drive in city traffic with ambient temperatures over 100F. Mathilda used to suffer some from vapor lock when starting a hot engine on hot days, but now, with the line protected and the filter well away from the exhaust manifold and such, no appreciable amount of petrol boils in the line! I suspect a '68 still retains enough in common w the '66 as to make my design suggestions somewhat relevant. If you ever suffer from vapor lock, consider this.

I never had a brass deal so I always used a piece of wood like a small wire brush handle to knock them around

I never had a brass deal so I always used a piece of wood like a small wire brush handle to knock them around
I used a ball peen hammer and a flat head screwdriver. The tank was empty at the time BUT I am sure there were still some remaining fumes from draining it.

the flash fire only hurts for a little while.
20201215_141153.jpg

yall are making this harder than it is. observe the device you need.

. . . one time i was setting up the BBQ grill and the lid closed. couple minutes later i went to open it up and it flashed on me. then i had to put all the fixins back in the house and drive up to tom thumb for burn medicine while my skin was blistering up in real time. the lady in the checkout line was like you dont look so great, im standing there turning red blistery, eyebrows blowed off, trembling, puffy looking, no hair on my arms, singed shirt...

fun times.

the flash fire only hurts for a little while.
View attachment 423077
. . . one time i was setting up the BBQ grill and the lid closed. couple minutes later i went to open it up and it flashed on me. then i had to put all the fixins back in the house and drive up to tom thumb for burn medicine while my skin was blistering up in real time. the lady in the checkout line was like you dont look so great, im standing there turning red blistery, eyebrows blowed off, trembling, puffy looking, no hair on my arms, singed shirt...

fun times.

There is a story for the grandkids... Glad you made it out alive! :)

Back