Mopars At The Strip Pictures.

both of my 1970 SFGT have the "super Commando" pie pan. T-code engine in blue, low performance exhaust manifolds and dual exhaust. That is the way all SFGT came in 1970 as long as they had the regular 440.

A 1970 Dodge Monaco & 1971 Dodge Polara T-code both came with a dual snorkel air cleaner but no pie pan

Carsten

Carsten is of course correct. Any Fury I, II, or III as well as the GTs were available with the Super Commando 440 T code engine (standard on the GT), which includes the dual snorkel air cleaner and the Super Commando pie plate. The 6 bbl engine was called the Special 440 and would have a special air cleaner without the Super Commando pie plate. Thus Greg's convertible has the correct pie plate and the correct engine color and the correct air cleaner for the 440 T code engine in his Fury III - it is not misrepresented . I checked the factory dealer brochure that had all the facts there so I could be sure about any T code 440 in any Fury I, II, or III, as well as the GT.

Steve

engine is right color for car....not right color if it originally came with U code engine which they don't...

little info from a friend on this car l just got..
quote...the build date of 6 Nov makes it the youngest of the 7 known T code cars ..unquote

misrepresenting stuff like this is just lacking and in bad judgement..this is just wrong on so many levels..if yer gona sport a U code pie plate you best make shure you have a U code engine sittin under it or someones gona call ya out on it....poser..youve been called out.....

Maybe in critter land but I don't see it that way....

He did it the way he wanted, as a what if kinda car ( from what I'm reading) .

Now, what if the internals are U code or better?

What if the original engine blew and he built it as a U?

If it had a new generation HEMI under the hood is that wrong too?... it's a cool car and I wish I owned it

both of my 1970 SFGT have the "super Commando" pie pan. T-code engine in blue, low performance exhaust manifolds and dual exhaust. That is the way all SFGT came in 1970 as long as they had the regular 440.

A 1970 Dodge Monaco & 1971 Dodge Polara T-code both came with a dual snorkel air cleaner but no pie pan

Carsten
They also had dual exhaust with logs

not buying into this..appoligies folks...out of those 7 known 70 fury 440 verts one belongs to a friend here in Calgary...he bought the car new of the showroom floor and is probally the only orriginall owner of a 70 fury 440..his never came with a pie plate and belive him
l have a hard time seeing how a base line 440 is considered a HP engine and the equal of a 375hp engine..over the last 3 years have done alota research and didn't see alota blue engines with a super comp pie plates...
somethings amiss here and will sort it out given time but as it stands now not buying into it without more proof than someone said its so...just lookin for the truth..nothing more..
http://cbodydrydock.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?14749

In 1970 they made 1952 Fury convertibles, most were 318, some were 383 and very few were "T" code 440 350hp. I bought my "T" in 1969 and as far as I've been able to find, it's one of seven known to still exist. Greg's black convertible is one of those seven. The "T" code engines were all blue, the air-cleaners were all crinkle black without any stickers on the pie plate. Greg's engine looks correct, except for the insert on the pie plate.

BTW, if a new cam was installed during the engine rebuild, the engine could easily be putting out 375 HP so the pie plate doesn't really lie.

I've seen older pictures of Greg's car before he bought it and what I'm seeing now says Wow, outstanding job Greg!

not buying into this..appoligies folks...out of those 7 known 70 fury 440 verts one belongs to a friend here in Calgary...he bought the car new of the showroom floor and is probally the only orriginall owner of a 70 fury 440..his never came with a pie plate and belive him
l have a hard time seeing how a base line 440 is considered a HP engine and the equal of a 375hp engine..over the last 3 years have done alota research and didn't see alota blue engines with a super comp pie plates...
somethings amiss here and will sort it out given time but as it stands now not buying into it without more proof than someone said its so...just lookin for the truth..nothing more..
http://cbodydrydock.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?14749

Here's what we do know....

Anecdotal references can be very good for research, if confirmed and/or supported by other sources.

Basing research on one car to determine what was 'supposed' to happen can be a little dicey.

Time fades memories. I remember a lot of things that never happened (the Hooper triplets for one) or happened differently than I remember.

Contemporary supported documentation is useful in research. We can find items that lean toward the use of the Super Commando pie pan on 350 horse engines. Do we have any documentation that prohibits the use of the pie pan?

Plymouth used the term Super Commando as a generic moniker for the 440 engine regardless of it was the 350, 375 or 390 horse version. That does vary a little from Dodge and Chrysler. This might lead one to infer that the use of the pie pan on this particular engine was appropriate.

We have one poster stating his 350 horse cars have the Super Commando pie pan. Again, anecdotal evidence taken in context can be useful.

For a restoration, the best reference for what a car came with is the car. Maybe this car wasn't 'supposed' to come with the pie pan from the factory but if it did, then the use of the pie pan would be correct for this particular car. This is a fact we may never know.

What came on cars changed through the year. As this is reported to be the earliest know example, and it was designed to be a show pony, maybe this car was equipped with the pie pan when it rolled off the assembly line and later cars did not.

We do not know all the facts of the Super Commando pie pan application....yet.

Ultimately, there is not enough documented research on C bodies.

CanCritter...on this we agree....... "without more proof than someone said its so"

k all good.....you folks gotta remember that folks like me and others that are new to mopars and C bodys look to you folks as the experts on these cars...am finding out Chryslers record keeping and info is somewhat lacking during this period and find myself skirting muddled facts sometimes..educated information is never a bad thing..the more questions we ask the more awnsers we have

..the more questions we ask the more awnsers we have

BINGO....

More discussion is necessary.

I haven't been at this long either but I have learned, there is not enough research and documentation on C bodies like there is for A, B and C bodies.

BINGO....

More discussion is necessary.

I haven't been at this long either but I have learned, there is not enough research and documentation on C bodies like there is for A, B and C bodies.

I've been at this for a loooooong time, what I've learned is with MA Mopar....... never claim anything as non original.
Last year I found a 1970 U code Road Runner not five miles from my house. The VIN, fender tag, all body numbers and the build sheet still in the seat....matched. (engine and trans MIA), Chrysler historical verified it.

Well, the factory dealer brochure called the T code engine the Super Commando knowing full well that it was the standard performance 440, not the U code engine (with all of 25 more HP) and my 1970 SFGT also had the Super Commando pie plate on it when I got it with only 64K miles on it and when I bought it, the seller said he was the original owner. From the way the car was worked on over the years and allowed to sit out in the dry, hot Nevada sun, the poor condition of the car suggested to me the owner knew little to nothing about the car or how to work on it. So I doubt he messed with anything under the hood or added something non-stock. No, it doesn't make sense why they put the T code in the 70 Furys and called them Super Commandos, but that is what Chrysler sometimes did for marketing reasons. Probably to highlight the 6 bbl option that year, which wasn't available in the 71s with the U code Super Commando engine standard. Maybe the factory didn't put the pie plates on anything but the SFGTs, but the dealer brochure didn't distinguish the engine and called it Super Commando no matter what model of Fury I, II, or III or SFGT they put it in.

In looking at the 70 Polara and Monaco dealer brochures, they just said an optional 440-4 was available and never called the engine the Magnum, which for Dodge was the U code engine. So there is no pie plate on the T code Polaras and Monacos in 1970, and I had one that was very original that had the T code engine and no pie plate, as Carsten said.

Steve

Just playing catch up here Steve. The '62 could be a 405hp hot rod. I sure would like to see it up close, live, and personal. Seems to be several plumbing changes on that car from what I'd expect! If they could only talk so we could track the history aye? OH, AND CHRIS, SIR. Me thinkest that yellow Monaco started life in your back yard 10-12 yearz ago? I AM LOOKING AT THE ONE WITH TWIN FUEL CELLZ IN IT ARE I NOT? Didn't that one just change handz within the last couple yearz? L.A. to Chicago with only one fuel stop. Wilmington, N.C. to Carlisle without any fill up and ah bucket of polished chicken bonez and 2 full gateraide jugz to be emptied on arival UH-RAH

Well, the factory dealer brochure called the T code engine the Super Commando knowing full well that it was the standard performance 440, not the U code engine (with all of 25 more HP) and my 1970 SFGT also had the Super Commando pie plate on it when I got it with only 64K miles on it and when I bought it, the seller said he was the original owner. From the way the car was worked on over the years and allowed to sit out in the dry, hot Nevada sun, the poor condition of the car suggested to me the owner knew little to nothing about the car or how to work on it. So I doubt he messed with anything under the hood or added something non-stock. No, it doesn't make sense why they put the T code in the 70 Furys and called them Super Commandos, but that is what Chrysler sometimes did for marketing reasons. Probably to highlight the 6 bbl option that year, which wasn't available in the 71s with the U code Super Commando engine standard. Maybe the factory didn't put the pie plates on anything but the SFGTs, but the dealer brochure didn't distinguish the engine and called it Super Commando no matter what model of Fury I, II, or III or SFGT they put it in.

In looking at the 70 Polara and Monaco dealer brochures, they just said an optional 440-4 was available and never called the engine the Magnum, which for Dodge was the U code engine. So there is no pie plate on the T code Polaras and Monacos in 1970, and I had one that was very original that had the T code engine and no pie plate, as Carsten said.

Steve

The Polara and Monaco in 70 and 71 Did not get them on their T code 440. They did get the dual snorkel and the log manifolds with dual exhaust...

I've been at this for a loooooong time, what I've learned is with MA Mopar....... never claim anything as non original.
Last year I found a 1970 U code Road Runner not five miles from my house. The VIN, fender tag, all body numbers and the build sheet still in the seat....matched. (engine and trans MIA), Chrysler historical verified it.

All of that would be entirely correct for a Superbird.

What was the VON? Did it start with a J?

Will, what happened to that RR? Was it or is it being restored?

The Polara and Monaco in 70 and 71 Did not get them on their T code 440. They did get the dual snorkel and the log manifolds with dual exhaust...

Dodge did not have a 'name' for the standard 440-4 like Plymouth (Super Commando) and Chrysler (Firepower) did.

Back