More fender tag madness!!

Scoopy G

Reaction score
Thanks to all who responded to my thread about my 67 Newport. All the info you guys provided checked out. Now, I decided to decode the tag on my 65 6-window town sedan!

No real mysteries on this tag, except one: The scheduled build date reads as 609, so that would mean June 9, 1965. BUT, when I replaced the carpet last year, I found 2 paper tags from the carpet suppliers. The rear piece was made by Stevens & Co., and the tag is dated 7/12/65, so presumably the car was built later than it's scheduled build date of June 9th.

Interestingly, the front and rear carpets were supplied by different companies. The front piece was supplied by Collins and Aikman, and is dated June 8th, 1965. Oddly, my father's birthday is June 8th, and my step-dad's birthday is July 12th.

113_1910.JPG

113_1911.JPG

113_1912.JPG

The most probable explanation is the rear carpet was replaced at some point after production #Occam’s Razor

No real mysteries on this tag, except one: The scheduled build date reads as 609, so that would mean June 9, 1965. BUT, when I replaced the carpet last year, I found 2 paper tags from the carpet suppliers. The rear piece was made by Stevens & Co., and the tag is dated 7/12/65, so presumably the car was built later than it's scheduled build date of June 9th.

Cars are often built much later than the Scheduled Production date (SPD). It's very plausible your car was not built until July. Check other date coded items (block casting, engine assembly date, mirrors, radiator, glass, etc) to see if any of them have dates after your SPD.

scheduled build date means only that it was scheduled to be built on that date, not that it was. all kinds of things can delay the actual build date, they could have been waiting on an option like a certain radio to be used that inventory had been used up on, etc

While I could be wrong, I believe that a 66 car with a SBD of 609 on the tag is a very very late 66 build - June 9 of 66, NOT 65. Just before they shut down to retool for 67s.

65 build dates are typically A, B, C (Oct/Nov/Dec), then 1 - 7 for Jan - July of 66.

So while there are exceptions regarding the above, at first look the date on your carpet fits, as they would have had many many of those carpets stockpiled for assembly, since it's likely the same carpets were used in 65s, and if it's a less popular colour, even more likely to have a very early mnufacturing date on that carpet.

Thanks Ross. My 6-window is a '65, not a '66. The tag says the SBD of my car was June of 1965, yet was probably built in July of '65, so probably in the very last month of '65 production before the '66 cars were starting to be built.
The ABC codes would be Oct/Nov/Dec of 1964, not '65.

This might make some sense: the good doctor goes into the dealership sometime in May or June '65, looking to buy a new car, and is able to order a low-spec NYer at the last minute, and probably at a discount?

No sweat Ross, I posted the tag thread on my '67 Newport just yesterday, so it's understandable that there would be some confusion between the two threads. Cheers!

End of the model year cars usually were not sold at discounts in July, only in the later months of the year after the next model year cars were on the lots and in inventory. When they were "left overs" (and usually got a bit of factory assistance money to help the dealers move them out).

ONE other possibility is that, for some reason, the rear carpet had to be replaced, so a new carpet was ordered by the dealer. That replacement carpet might have been produced later, but installed during the 1966 model year. In Chrysler soft trim items, they were only available during the production model year, unless they might have been continued into the next model year, or some were left over, not having been used. It might have also been that rather than keeping these things in a parts warehouse ("depot" in Chrysler-speak), they kept all of the carpets at the assy plants and with a part order, just pulled and shipped the carpets from the assy plant itself?

I would have to consult the Color and Trim Guides at www.hamtramck-historical.com, but I seem to recall that beautiful turquoise metallic color being available in 1966 also?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I'm new here and struggling to learn the system. I am developing an Excel-based fender tag decoder for all 1962-1965 Chryslers and Imperials. I can't tell from this post whether you (and all interested parties) already have a decoder or that you are asking for help in decoding the plate you posted. In any case, this is how I would decode this '65 NY plate: Top two lines: 11-LH manual rear view mirror; 22: Prismatic/glareproof inside mirror; 39: Variable-speed wipers and washer; 72: possibly code 652-sold car; 87: Possibly Front Bumper reveal molding--whatever that is; 91: Possibly Molding door upper frame. Lines 3&4 : AB 70 413 4bbl 340 HP;D5-Torqueflite; E5 Heater; F1-Clock; G2-Power bench seat; Q2: AM radio; V3: Backup lights; Y9: Fender mounted turn signal lights. Bottom Line: 0609: Scheduled assembly date; 38582: Order Number; C(hrysler), 3: New Yorker; 8:4-door Town Sedan; H(igh) level trim; High Grade Bench cloth & vinyl seat trim; Q: Turquoise; Z's Frost TurquoiseMetallic roof, lower body and upper door frame molding; 1: Monochromatic styling. I'm still trying to verify some of these and would appreciate your evaluation of my work and information on a '65 Chrysler-Imperial decoder. Sample of my decoder crunching 1964 Chrysler 300K convertible data.

Barber 300K in 62-65 format 8-12-23.jpg

65 300L red rag.jpg

Thanks to all who responded to my thread about my 67 Newport. All the info you guys provided checked out. Now, I decided to decode the tag on my 65 6-window town sedan!

Interestingly, the front and rear carpets were supplied by different companies. The front piece was supplied by Collins and Aikman, and is dated June 8th, 1965. Oddly, my father's birthday is June 8th, and my step-dad's birthday is July 12th.

View attachment 616539

View attachment 616540

View attachment 616541
I would guess the 7 12/65 is not a date based upon how it is written and is related to model. Stamping a tag and then building the car later; Ummmm? I would suspect the tag is stamped in the assembly process kinda like it it was getting dog tags when I was the drafted into the military; no waiting, here are ten shots in each arm, cough, how many of my two fingers can you see, it is best if you do not mistake your rifle for your gun, if you drop your soap in the shower do not bend over to pick it up, hang these around your neck, NEXT!

Last edited:
scheduled build date means only that it was scheduled to be built on that date, not that it was. all kinds of things can delay the actual build date, they could have been waiting on an option like a certain radio to be used that inventory had been used up on, etc
Or maybe just waiting for that section of carpet to come in......

View attachment 616539

View attachment 616540

View attachment 616541

fender tage decode for 1972.jpg

Back