More vintage Pro Stock

The Missile crew

Man I hate it when those Vega's get stuck in there. Notice the trap doors on the hood scoop. They where spring loaded. They are probably getting the tension right. The Missille was a rolling test lab.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Steve Bagwell

Taken at the 74 US Nationals at Indy. Long time MOPAR racer Steve Bagwell rare pic of his Pro Stock car.

image.jpg

The famous Herb McCandles wheelie

Never seen it from this angle. Racing Bill "Grumby" Jenkins. Herb broke a wheelie bar & stood the Hemi Demon on its end. Unfortunately Grump speed away for an easy win as Herb maintained controll. Darn good driving if you ask me

image.jpg

Don Carlton vs Jenkins

1972 & there was 8 NHRA national events that year. The Sox & Martin team had dominated the 1st 2 years of the new Pro Stock category. NHRA put a hugh weight penalty on the Hemi cars & Don Carltons Missile was the only MOPAR to win that season. Jenkins took advantage of the heavy Mopars. However to be fair he also used some clever injunuity & developed this very light weight tube chassis smallblock Vega. My understanding is he cleverly skirted around the rules just enought to be legal. The combination of the two dethroned the Hemi cars.

image.jpg

The S&M Superbird

Not a Pro Stock car, but I thought you guys might like to see the Sox & Martin Superbird. Super Stock car. There where a few Superbirds that Competed in the sportsman classes. I don't think none of them where too sucessfull. After all they weren't intended to be drag cars

image.jpg

Back