MPG and fun

swisherred

Reaction score
I have been able to take the Newport out for some good drives lately. I filled the tank and went camping in the mountains. For having 106k miles, abandoned for 30 years and not rebuilding the engine, converting to 4BBL.....It burns no oil and gets 13.2 mpg with normal driving in the east cost mountains...not babying and not being hugely aggressive. I'm happy...

Thats about right.
My 68 Newport modified 383 (bored .40 over) get 12 city highway combo. Best highway is 15.25. 28 inch tall tires and 2.94 gears
The 66 300 gets 18 highway thanks to stock cam 14 inch tires and 2.76 open gears.
The Waygun used to get 15 MPG before the rebuild but with a cam,800 CFM Thermoquad,27 inch 2356016 tires 3 speed standard 3.23 best on highway is 24 MPG and 18 city.
Looking forward to get Frankie the 69 Fury on the road to see how the 318/2.76 gears run for MPG with 22570R15's
cell phine may 26 2018 011.jpg

106554118_1798871303586562_5784549085707620846_n.jpg

I don't even bother to check. Just doesn't matter:rofl:

My sister-in-law is always looking at me cross eyed when she sees my cars and always asks how many miles to a gallon I get.

I tell her I'd rather 10 mpg in an Imperial than 30 in a **** box!:rofl:

I have been able to take the Newport out for some good drives lately. I filled the tank and went camping in the mountains. For having 106k miles, abandoned for 30 years and not rebuilding the engine, converting to 4BBL.....It burns no oil and gets 13.2 mpg with normal driving in the east cost mountains...not babying and not being hugely aggressive. I'm happy...

We are like blood brothers or something! I bought a 68 Newport couple in March - it had been sitting for 10 years, converted to a 4 BBL, not rebuilt, etc... I have replaced the brakes from the power booster back, tried tuning the 4BBL Edelbrock with no complete success but got it running. I finally gave in and took it to a Classic Car mechanic that came highly recommended and I should be getting it back this week - been at the shop getting a new Holley Street Avenger 570, new Pro Form distributor & electronic ignition conversion.

The mechanic says there is a hesitation at initial acceleration that he is still trying to figure out (I am thinking it is bad gas) but he has had the car close to two weeks now. i am wondering if a new gas tank is next...

I am getting it back form him no later than Thursday so I can start actually driving and enjoying it. This is my first adventure in to owning such an old car...I grew up working on my Uncle's old Mopars (mainly Chargers) with him but now this is my first Mopar project.

From the little bit I have driven it I have to tell you that the torsion bar suspension and steering have me pretty freaked out...not used to that level of looseness in the steering - but all of my research (and the mechanic) said that the front suspension and steering are both fine .. I just need to drive it and get used to it.

what do you think of your Newport? My wife and I are having the same debate about exhaust currently...

We are like blood brothers or something! I bought a 68 Newport couple in March - it had been sitting for 10 years, converted to a 4 BBL, not rebuilt, etc... I have replaced the brakes from the power booster back, tried tuning the 4BBL Edelbrock with no complete success but got it running. I finally gave in and took it to a Classic Car mechanic that came highly recommended and I should

From the little bit I have driven it I have to tell you that the torsion bar suspension and steering have me pretty freaked out...not used to that level of looseness in the steering - but all of my research (and the mechanic) said that the front suspension and steering are both fine .. I just need to drive it and get used to it.

what do you think of your Newport? My wife and I are having the same debate about exhaust currently...

Looseness in the steering? Might check to see how "tight" the coupler is at the base of the steering column. Other than that, there is an adjustment on the input side of the steering gear, but many don't know about it, it seems. IF you find that the shaft moves a bit "in and out" as you explore the free play in the steering, then THAT adjustment might need some tweaking, by observation. On GM steering boxes, they call that the "adjuster plug" (where there's also a seal that can leak on the GM boxes).

Other than that, make sure all of the rubber bushings are still tight and not degraded.

By observation from when the cars were still new, nobody complained about "looseness" in the steering. But they DID have more steering response when the steering wheel was turned than similar GM and Ford cars, even with bias ply tires. With the front tires at 30psi and the rear tires at 28psi, response was increased a bit. Having a good set of HD shocks helps things, too.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I have read about the steering drag adjuster! It has an adjuster bolt as well as a locking bolt. I am going to fiddle with it once I get it back. Maybe 'loose' is not the right terminology...maybe more like effortless... Cars that weigh two and a quarter tons should not have the abikity to be steered with one finger!

"One finger"? That's how it was back then. "Luxury" cars were "easy to drive" and steering effort was in that mix, too, as was power brakes, seats, windows, and of course, POWER.

Once you get used to that amount of effort, which is what we grew up with, modern stuff seems like "semi-powered" by comparison.

Considering how thin the earlier steering wheels were, compared to current ones, the power steering NEEDS boost to keep those steering wheels from breaking in use, seemingly.

It's that boost that allowed 97-lb young ladies to wheel their Dad's 6000lb Lincoln around like it was a Falcon. Plus the power brakes to lock-up all four wheels, for effect.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

And remember how to “palm the wheel” due to the number of wheel turns required particularly when parking.

Usually 3.5 turns lock-to-lock for Chrysler power steering. IF you do use your finger, count the turns too, until you get used to it, rather than experience pain when the wheel might stop suddenly, at the limit of the turns when parking. WATCH out for sharp edges on those old "cracked-from-plastic-shrinkage" steering wheels of ANY make!

CBODY67

Usually 3.5 turns lock-to-lock for Chrysler power steering. IF you do use your finger, count the turns too, until you get used to it, rather than experience pain when the wheel might stop suddenly, at the limit of the turns when parking. WATCH out for sharp edges on those old "cracked-from-plastic-shrinkage" steering wheels of ANY make!

CBODY67

Probably safer to get one of those window-crank knobs and attach it to the steering wheel like the truckers have/had. :)

PARKING you say? That is going to be a s*%@ show in and of itself. I drive a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited now b/c I cannot park so well. (NOTE TO SELF: Add curb feelers to the Rock Auto shopping list!)

Ha!
I nearly ran over my mailbox first time i backed the Monaco out on the street. I forgot how many spins that ships wheel needed to turn it. Plus it feels like it’s right in my chest.
I’m so used to the modern cars that can take a 90 deg turn with just a flick of the wrist.

I got a whole 18 mpg U.S. when I drove my Monaco home the first time.....course the secondaries on the carb weren't working and due to rain and traffic I had to keep it rolling at a steady 60 miles an hour. Not exactly fun, but not disappointing either, and it was a nice little mpg experiment.

I averaged 13.6 with the 440, 27 inch tire height, and 3.55 gears in the Polara. The Monaco only gets @10.6 with little tires and 3.23 gears.

I’ll keep track on long trips and I’ll log the info into a journal I keep in the glovebox. That way I can compare how it’s doing in that regard through the years. It could get 6 miles to the gallon And I wouldn’t drive it any less.

Back