My 1969 Dodge Polara Wagon

The 440 was successfully shoved..I mean professionally installed in the wagon this week.
We got a little help from the campus Security to move the wagon to a better work area..(There was a foam pad between the bumpers)
My Movie.jpg
IMG_5902.JPG

Coincidentally the day we decided to do this, a thunderstorm was to pass over us...eventually it got too dark, rainy and cold so we decided to call off putting the engine in, once the forecast was looking good, it was on.
IMG_5937.JPG

Who needs an engine hoist if you have a Forklift and some span sets
IMG_5941.JPG

It's kinda crazy that big of a motor looks so small in the engine bay...
IMG_5946.JPG

We used the forklift and some span sets to tow the wagon back to its usual spot. Now with the weight of the 440, the stance of the wagon is looking like the cruiser/sleeper I want it to be..

Sorry Y'all I haven't been active on the site in a bit, been busy with school and work.
But I thought I'd type up a little update on how things are going with the Wagon.
My Goal for the summer is to at least get the 440 running.
I'm right in the process of figuring out a wiring harness for the car, I'm thinking of going with a painless performance kit or one from Speedway Motors.
after that I still need to figure out brakes, install the differential I got from @saforwardlook, get a drive shaft made for it....and a bunch of other stuff.....
Here is a photo of what the wagon looks like currently -
Polara1 copy.png

Sorry Y'all I haven't been active on the site in a bit, been busy with school and work.
But I thought I'd type up a little update on how things are going with the Wagon.
My Goal for the summer is to at least get the 440 running.
I'm right in the process of figuring out a wiring harness for the car, I'm thinking of going with a painless performance kit or one from Speedway Motors.
after that I still need to figure out brakes, install the differential I got from @saforwardlook, get a drive shaft made for it....and a bunch of other stuff.....
Here is a photo of what the wagon looks like currently -
View attachment 603492

What makes your wagon "pop" in my eyes is seeing those classy wheel covers combined with WHITEWALLS! Way to go.......................

Painless Wiring has its place. I remember when it was formed in the 1980s, with its roots in the street rod area. At the time, it was the only company you could rely on having OEM-level wire and components, as in Delco-Packard. Other companies were more hit and miss in that respect.

On an OEM wiring harness, there are several "feed lines", off of which other circuits are branched, This simplifies the bulkhead connector wires a bit (In the 1970s, Ford only had about 6 wires coming through the bulkhead connector, then once things got to the instrument panel area, there were branches and inline circuit breakers and such). GM and Ford circuits have lots of similarities, from what I've seen.

Getting a basically correct harness built to start with can help things along very much, by observation. Used to be that the wiring gauge might be correct, but the insulation on the wiring was thinner and suspect, in many times, back in the 1970s. So what looked good to the untrained eye was actually substandard by most measures. Which can make the recommendations of people who have "been there" more valid.

Just some observations,
CBODY67

What makes your wagon "pop" in my eyes is seeing those classy wheel covers combined with WHITEWALLS! Way to go.......................
As good as those wagon look, the factory wheel covers and whitewalls are the perfect accent to the overall classy and elegant look of the vehicles . . . even without shiny paint and such. A SuperLIte! WOW!. Easy to visualize how great it will look in a few years!

CBODY67

The factory wiring is not scary. Get the appropriate diagrams and use the hell out of the talent on this forum. You’ll appreciate it more and have a ton more self satisfaction.

What makes you want to get a new wiring harness?
The wagon didn’t come with much wiring except for whatever the previous owner left when they pulled the factory 383, and although the 440 came with some wires, it’s all a mess with damaged wires and connectors just cracking apart, so I think it would be better to just start over with all new stuff.
Big block wagon wiring?

Might have you covered Trev. Will check.
thank you!

The wagon didn’t come with much wiring except for whatever the previous owner left when they pulled the factory 383, and although the 440 came with some wires, it’s all a mess with damaged wires and connectors just cracking apart, so I think it would be better to just start over with all new stuff.

thank you!
Engine harness is an easy one and the most common one I change out. the cool thing is, when you order from Evans wiring you can say you want to run electronic ignition and they will have your harness set up for plug and play electronic ignition. Just saying what I do and would do.

Engine harness is an easy one and the most common one I change out. the cool thing is, when you order from Evans wiring you can say you want to run electronic ignition and they will have your harness set up for plug and play electronic ignition. Just saying what I do and would do.
Thanks! I’ll check them out!

Back