My 1971 Chrysler Town & Country 440

If you have some time, go check out my restoration thread “73 Monaco Wagon”. There are still places in the US where you can get a complete carpet set, factory original upholstery material, etc.

I am currently in the process of installing a new rim-blow switch. Someone from my club volunteered to repair the cracks in the wheel, which I was worried about. The repair is great, but now the steering wheel is black, I kind of like it, what do you guys think? If you think it should be brown, what is the best way to color it brown again before I install the switch?
IMG_1097.jpeg

I am currently in the process of installing a new rim-blow switch. Someone from my club volunteered to repair the cracks in the wheel, which I was worried about. The repair is great, but now the steering wheel is black, I kind of like it, what do you guys think? If you think it should be brown, what is the best way to color it brown again before I install the switch?
View attachment 591921
I think, if you are happy with it, then be happy. It looks good to me.

I have little things on my C-Body car that are not “factory original”. Things get old, they wear out. You do the best you can to get what looks best and is affordable. These cars are not going to be six-figures Challenger/Cuda $$$,$$$.$$

Gloss black looks classy!

I usually worry more about how well a refinish or repair or replacement will last. “Will it be durable?” Of course I try to get a match if I can, but if it looks good and is durable I am ok.

There is an interior paint that you can buy from SEM. I am not sure how durable it will be in a high wear location like a steering wheel. Usually it is for soft plastics.

Do you know SEM brand?

You are the customer.

I think, if you are happy with it, then be happy. It looks good to me.

I have little things on my C-Body car that are not “factory original”. Things get old, they wear out. You do the best you can to get what looks best and is affordable. These cars are not going to be six-figures Challenger/Cuda $$$,$$$.$$

Gloss black looks classy!

I usually worry more about how well a refinish or repair or replacement will last. “Will it be durable?” Of course I try to get a match if I can, but if it looks good and is durable I am ok.

There is an interior paint that you can buy from SEM. I am not sure how durable it will be in a high wear location like a steering wheel. Usually it is for soft plastics.

Do you know SEM brand?

You are the customer.
Thank you for your thoughts, I agree with you there.
I realize when I think about it, that getting the right shade of gloss brown, that is also durable, will be a challenge.
I am not familiar with SEM, but I can see that it is carried by some paint shops nationally, so one might be able to get some interior paint there.

Glad my comments were helpful.

I know the feeling. “I think I need a sanity check on this.”

It can be hard to judge, from one (dark) photo. When you sit in the car you see the steering wheel against all the colors around it, and it gives more context/background. If everything else around it is brown, it may ultimately be better to go to brown also.

I bet you can find SEM brand in Norway, if you decide to change it.

Sometimes you have to move on to other more pressing projects and come back to it later.

Nice wagon!
How close to Trondheim do you live?
My ancestors came from there, as well as near Stavanger and just east of Oslo.
Thank you!
From me, Trondheim, is about a 12 hour drive (mostly through mountain passes).
Though Stavanger is just 2 hours from me, I even went to high school there!

Thank you!
From me, Trondheim, is about a 12 hour drive (mostly through mountain passes).
Though Stavanger is just 2 hours from me, I even went to high school there!
My relatives from Stavanger were from Osthusvik. I have been there. They had a boat, called ‘Beiderbecke af Sand’ and is on this page:

Brødrene af Sand – Ryfylkemuseet

My father sailed on it several years ago.

Did you know going in that it would be black? It does look good.
BTW, I have a son and his family that live in Kongsberg.

So last spring i started working on her again, took her to a garage for the bi-annual inspection, where they discovered most of the front suspension was shot, the horn was nonfunctional in every way, doors where hard to open etc. they also replaced the battery, flushed the trans and welded the parking brake pedal back in place.
Safe to say she did not pass, so I turned in the plates until she has received an overhaul.

I will spare you the exhaustive list of repairs needed, but the major things for getting her roadworthy:
-Fix the tick in the engine at idle, seems to be a valve.
-Replace horns and rim-blow switch
-rebuild front suspension
-Replace front bumper
-Replace bulbs speedometer
-Repair Towing electrics

Hopefully she will be back on the road this summer!
Hi, I just wanted to let you know that it's a very common problem on Chrysler engines to hear a noise that sounds like a valvetrain noise. In reality it is usually an exhaust leak where the manifold contacts the head. These engines didn't come from the factory with gaskets, they have a machined finish that seals against the head. But over the years, the bolts loosen or other reasons occur and a leak develops that sounds identical to a valve clicking. I would take off the manifolds first and look for a leak and reseal them before going further with valve issues. Hope this helps!

Back