My 1971 Sport Fury GT, what to do, what to do.

IMO the prices of well optioned C's has risen significantly in the last few years. Your GT is well optioned so I think it could bring serious $. It all depends on how fast you want to sell. I was looking at your thread from a couple years ago when you were deciding a value to insure it and the common consensus seemed to be 25k which I thought may have been a little light then. I would say 30k would be my min but I would ask 35k or more. If you're willing to sit on it for a while I'd start higher, you can always lower the price if you choose.

Let the disagreements commence.....

Having said all that, for that one perfect next caretaker of your car, who will love it and preserve it, the price should be 3k and I just happen to know the perfect person, just PM me......LOL....
:rofl::rofl:

IMO the prices of well optioned C's has risen significantly in the last few years. Your GT is well optioned so I think it could bring serious $. It all depends on how fast you want to sell. I was looking at your thread from a couple years ago when you were deciding a value to insure it and the common consensus seemed to be 25k which I thought may have been a little light then. I would say 30k would be my min but I would ask 35k or more. If you're willing to sit on it for a while I'd start higher, you can always lower the price if you choose.

Let the disagreements commence.....

Having said all that, for that one perfect next caretaker of your car, who will love it and preserve it, the price should be 3k and I just happen to know the perfect person, just PM me......LOL....
Lol yeah $3K may be a LITTLE light. Now $35K would be amazing I think, not sure if i could ever get that sort of money though?

Now $35K would be amazing I think, not sure if i could ever get that sort of money though?

I remember a triple TX9 SFGT ( think it was a 1970 ) that was online last year or in 2016.
IIRC it was listed for $35K and bought by a flipper that listed it again for $4X.
Maybe someone finds the thread so we can get the facts straight.

Anyways triple black is always reaching higher bids than white on green but your SFGT is in
way more desirable condition for a collector, so why not aiming for $35K

For Sale - 1971 Sport fury GT black

found it .. so I´ve to correct my previous post, it´s a 71, and was sold for $29K but then flipped over for $55K, if it sold
for that price, I don´t know but it makes $35K for yours quite realistic to me

for that one perfect next caretaker of your car, who will love it and preserve it, the price should be 3k and I just happen to know the perfect person, just PM me......LOL....
I had the same thought, I would take great care also and even let him come and visit it. I would post the occasional photo also.:D

For Sale - 1971 Sport fury GT black

found it .. so I´ve to correct my previous post, it´s a 71, and was sold for $29K but then flipped over for $55K, if it sold
for that price, I don´t know but it makes $35K for yours quite realistic to me

Do we know what it sold for? Was it 29? I offered 25 and as I sit here I don' t recall what their response was or if there was one. I offered to go out that weekend , as it turned out I went to Ohio and bought my truck that weekend.

C values are up and probably still climbing. I think Gary could test the waters and be very happy with the monetary fish he catches.

Gary, It is very hard to estimate the value of this car based on the limited information you have posted and I don't have time to go through all of the 49 pages on your original thread.

Very unusual that it is a clock delete car. I don't mind the color and I love the white interior, top and stripe combination. I do note the tail lamp bezels are black. That is incorrect. They should be combination of silver/light argent with some black in the recessed areas. Most of the trunk floor should be body color. You were kind enough to communicate with me and send me photos of the stripes on the car. The stripes on the car should be reflective and your stripes are not reflective, which begs the question why and how original the car really is. Without seeing the car in person, assuming the paint is really nice, I would not let it go for less than $25k and if marketed correctly on eBay might bring more. I think if you found the time to take car of the little things needed, and put it on eBay or through one of the big auctions like MECUM you might do better than you expected as I do not know of any really nice 71 GT's our there for sale. All of the recent 71 GT cars sold that I now of were projects.

I understand that the black 71 GT has a rusty undercarriage and the stripes/decals on it are incorrect and it is overpriced as evidenced by the fact that it is still for sale. I hope this helps.

Do we know what it sold for? Was it 29?

I can´t find a post where the exact price is mentioned, but offered for 29 and an 25k offer turned down makes it most probably 28 or 29 grands

I understand that the black 71 GT has a rusty undercarriage and the stripes/decals on it are incorrect and it is overpriced as evidenced by the fact that it is still for sale. I hope this helps.

do you have a link to the recent add ?

...and put it on eBay or through one of the big auctions like MECUM ...

I always wonder if it´s hard for a private person to bring a car to MECUM / Barrett Jackson etc... Do they help with the transport cross country and pre-show advertising etc ?
I think such a rare car is always shooting up high at these big auctions with lots of people in the audience having deep pockets

Gary, It is very hard to estimate the value of this car based on the limited information you have posted and I don't have time to go through all of the 49 pages on your original thread.

Very unusual that it is a clock delete car. I don't mind the color and I love the white interior, top and stripe combination. I do note the tail lamp bezels are black. That is incorrect. They should be combination of silver/light argent with some black in the recessed areas. Most of the trunk floor should be body color. You were kind enough to communicate with me and send me photos of the stripes on the car. The stripes on the car should be reflective and your stripes are not reflective, which begs the question why and how original the car really is. Without seeing the car in person, assuming the paint is really nice, I would not let it go for less than $25k and if marketed correctly on eBay might bring more. I think if you found the time to take car of the little things needed, and put it on eBay or through one of the big auctions like MECUM you might do better than you expected as I do not know of any really nice 71 GT's our there for sale. All of the recent 71 GT cars sold that I now of were projects.

But isn' t the Black one now too expensive Bill? The black car to me is iconic, the stance and wheels .....for 25 it was a steal, for 55 it's highway robbery.

MECUM now has there own transport company. I do not have a link to the current ad but there is a prior thread on FCBO that talks about the undercarriage.

But isn' t the Black one now too expensive Bill? The black car to me is iconic, the stance and wheels .....for 25 it was a steal, for 55 it's highway robbery.

Exactly. While the black car is a stunning color combo and is likely a rare color it originally sold for what it was worth. $55k or even $50k is not going to happen on that car unless someone has to have it and does not inspect it. If it had the correct stripes and a fully detailed undercarriage then $50k - $55k might be possible given what some of the very nice Chrysler 300-H's have sold for IMHO.

Gary, I am having trouble finding your email address & your in box is full. Shoot me an email or send me a PM. I'd like to give you some insight on the value of your GT.

Bill

Wasn't the car repainted and restriped after it sold ? There were some shenanigans wasn't there?

( damn spell check)

Last edited:
71 GT Gary.jpg
Gary's GT is nice and I like it, but needs some real work to get to the $35-45 level. It would need new paint, correct stripes, correct tires, lots of small details that need to be corrected. I'm not sure there is enough return to do all that work just to sell it. If the car were Tor-Red, or Curious Yellow, or another high impact color,....who knows. This shade of green isn't everyone's favorite.

Having said that, if the car were mine I would let it go at $25-30 and not touch it. I would do a very good detail and fluids change, etc. That's my .02

I spoke with the seller of the X3-TX9 71 Sport Fury GT. It sold for $29, then S. Lindsay resold it for $55K to a collector. It's available (not really) but for $75K it could be yours! If anyone is interested I can put you in touch with the current owner.

Last edited:
A 26k profit? Not bad for a days work. $30k might not be a bad price if the SFGT's start to follow the Hemi 'Cuda trend if collectors keep buying them at higher prices, pushing the little guy out of the market, if it isn't the current trend now (at least for finished cars). I'd love to own it, I love the green and white color combo, and I could live with the stripes.

A 26k profit? Not bad for a days work. $30k might not be a bad price if the SFGT's start to follow the Hemi 'Cuda trend if collectors keep buying them at higher prices, pushing the little guy out of the market, if it isn't the current trend now (at least for finished cars). I'd love to own it, I love the green and white color combo, and I could live with the stripes.

That's exactly what happened. A collector of Muscle cars bought the TX9 car because he wanted a "full size" muscle car in his collection. And the X3 TX9 car, is pretty bad ***.

I don't think the same thing will happen with "Wollfen's" GT. But there is no reason it shouldn't bring good money. Enough to make both seller and buyer happy.

Back