My 1971 Sport Fury GT, what to do, what to do.

71 GT.JPG

Here's a different car,...green and white isn't so bad.

A question for the SFGT experts...aren't the 71 GT's supposed to have the fender top chrome port things? I notice this one does not and I am wondering if that can be chalked up to a mistake in production. The VIN/ Data plaque and everything else says SFGT yet no fender ports? Were fenders replaced in the past?

71_Fury_3.jpg

A question for the SFGT experts...aren't the 71 GT's supposed to have the fender top chrome port things? I notice this one does not and I am wondering if that can be chalked up to a mistake in production. The VIN/ Data plaque and everything else says SFGT yet no fender ports? Were fenders replaced in the past?

View attachment 188039

You need to ask Billy Fury for the definitive answer, but I think the answer is,.. the 71 GT isn't supposed to have the fender ports accents. They are part of the light package. If no light package, no spears. -- My 71 GT does not have the "fender ports" and it does not have the light package. It's also a clock delete car.

The same goes for the 70 GT, on the "power bulge" turn signal indicators.

I just learned Plymouth called them "Fender Ports"! Thanks for posting that.

Last edited:
Yes, the fender top turn signals were part of the optional light package in '71. Funny why this was an option on a high line Plymouth. In 68 I'm pretty sure that the light package was standard on a Sport Fury.

View attachment 188021 Gary's GT is nice and I like it, but needs some real work to get to the $35-45 level. It would need new paint, correct stripes, correct tires, lots of small details that need to be corrected. I'm not sure there is enough return to do all that work just to sell it. If the car were Tor-Red, or Curious Yellow, or another high impact color,....who knows. This shade of green isn't everyone's favorite.

Having said that, if the car were mine I would let it go at $25-30 and not touch it. I would do a very good detail and fluids change, etc. That's my .02

I spoke with the seller of the X3-TX9 71 Sport Fury GT. It sold for $29, then S. Lindsay resold it for $55K to a collector. It's available (not really) but for $75K it could be yours! If anyone is interested I can put you in touch with the current owner.

Then the buyer has F it money

You need to ask Billy Fury for the definitive answer, but I think the answer is,.. the 71 GT isn't supposed to have the fender ports accents. They are part of the light package. If no light package, no spears. -- My 71 GT does not have the "fender ports" and it does not have the light package. It's also a clock delete car.

The same goes for the 70 GT, on the "power bulge" turn signal indicators.

I just learned Plymouth called them "Fender Ports"! Thanks for posting that.

Trev, you call it a clock delete. The clock was an option, was it not? So it's not a delete, it just wasn't ordered.

Here is the original for sale thread incase anyone is interested.

seen 71 GT

It would be cool to see this get to the $25k level from its humble beginnings.

Trev, you call it a clock delete. The clock was an option, was it not? So it's not a delete, it just wasn't ordered.

True Dave, it’s not a delete, just as radios and heaters were options before becoming standard.

It’s a radio block off plate, clock block off plate. Both were optional.

I just used “delete” so people know what I’m talking about.

I’m going to step back and say, the actual condition of this car will be reflected in the sale and the price.

I haven’t seen the car in person, so it’s impossible to give an estimate from 2,000 miles distant.

I spoke with the seller of the X3-TX9 71 Sport Fury GT. It sold for $29, then S. Lindsay resold it for $55K to a collector. It's available (not really) but for $75K it could be yours! If anyone is interested I can put you in touch with the current owner.

I am not sure it really sold.
I know Scott and Randy from AZ worked together in the past.

Carsten

everything is possible.

I have visited Randy in the past and he mentioned to me he has access to a tx9 SFGT. It was the same car but at that point it dind't sound like he is the owner and just had access to it. Randy is usally into survivor cars.

I know Scott since 20+ years and he has has visited me in germany back in 2013, too. He has a huge amount of rare cars, some 71 Hemi cars as well as FM3 pink cars and is into B&E-bodys. I wondered myself when he had two Fuselages lately.

But Randy might have bought it

Carsten

I’d be nervous that at a major auction it went across the block on Wednesday night and sold for 12k...

What went across an auction block on Wednesday night?
These auctions have gotten so popular that they start them midweek before all of the really deep pockets arrive with the cream of the crop stuff saved for Friday and Saturday nights. I’ve seen some Wednesday and Thursday night coverage where there doesn’t seem to be to many people bidding and cars selling for relatively cheap.

That's why you put a reserve on the car before the auction and negotiate what day it goes through when you consign the car.

IMHO one of the coolest things about a 71 Sport Fury GT is those "spears" that come with the light group. The fact that this car doesn't have them is a major detraction for me. It boggles my mind that the option was a Sport Fury GT only option yet it wasn't standard.

Back