My 440 GT boils after I switch the engine off

Gary: Any updates regarding this very frustrating problem? I feel like I'm as stressed as you are. . .
I think I found the problem, check the pic, you will see the red circled area shows a spot which correlates with a coolant channel, there is black carbon here which extends to the edge of the combustion chamber, the other three corresponding ones on both heads are light in color. So I'm thinking this is the spot where combustion gases are escaping into the coolant. I am also going to crack test the heads just to be safe though.

GT head1.jpg

I think I found the problem, check the pic, you will see the red circled area shows a spot which correlates with a coolant channel, there is black carbon here which extends to the edge of the combustion chamber, the other three corresponding ones on both heads are light in color. So I'm thinking this is the spot where combustion gases are escaping into the coolant. I am also going to crack test the heads just to be safe though.

View attachment 130038

Oh crap! Well, at least you now appear to be on the right track. I guess yer headed back to the machine shop with those heads. Huh?

Oh crap! Well, at least you now appear to be on the right track. I guess yer headed back to the machine shop with those heads. Huh?
No I can crack test them myself, I just have to pick up the kit to do so. Once I get back some money on the purchase of the 73 NYB I will do so.

No I can crack test them myself, I just have to pick up the kit to do so. Once I get back some money on the purchase of the 73 NYB I will do so.

Mighty fine. Given the appearance of the way the gaskets were, it appears there is something not flat about your heads. Is there any way you can check that too?

Mighty fine. Given the appearance of the way the gaskets were, it appears there is something not flat about your heads. Is there any way you can check that too?
The heads I checked before I rebuilt the motor, being that they were done in Massachusetts before i got the car I went over them myself. But yes i did take a steel ruler and checked diagonally, longitudinally and width wise in multiple locations, perfectly flat mating surface on the heads. I will double check the block too. I have my hands full at the moment though.

looks like the steel ring of the gasket was sealed to the head. the burn through could have occurred on the block deck side.
Yup I gave the block a close look as well, nothing showed up, I still have to check it for flatness though. That will come.

anyone ever tried this snake oil? it has a 5star rating.. must be some good oil

Summit Racing® EVAPO-RUST THERMOCURE
I've not used this, but I've used the regular Evapo-Rust. It works, especial if you forget that you're soaking something like I have a tendency of doing. I would've been tempted to give this a try last year when i was flushing my system. IIRC this stuff comes from Abilene, TX.

So I am still having hot issues with my GT and the new engine. If you all followed my rebuild thread you would know I rebuilt the engine throughout and also replaced all accessories with new parts. I decided to take the car for a drive to check it out after finding an exhaust bolt was leaking coolant. Got that fixed but the coolant still boils and comes out the overflow hose after i turn the engine off. When I use the thermo gun on the radiator while it is running it runs about 194 degrees. Stop the engine and the temp shoots up with coolant ending up on the ground. So, what should I be looking for? And no its not the thermostat, I have sat that in hot water and it opens fine. Plus I left it out too to see if anything changed, it didn't.

Gary: Are there any updates yet regarding this problem? I figure you have probably been working on it. If you have decided to give up on the car, I'll give you $2500 for it. . . :poke:

Last edited:
Then why do I have 3x that in my car, and it still isn't finished? I guess I have an expensive maintenance program.
Nobody was saying you can have a done car, at least one done right, for $2500 - that's just your buy-in. And once it's done and you've got 20K into it, it's worth $2500 to the next schmuck.

Gary: Are there any updates yet regarding this problem? I figure you have probably been working on it. If you have decided to give up on the car, I'll give you $2500 for it. . . :poke:
I finally got enough money o buy the Magnaflux kit which is now in the mil, once I get that I will check for cracks in the heads before putting them back on. Then I can call myself broke again. :(

since i jumped into the middle of the thread with a totally different topic (thats how we do right?) about the snake oil radiator treatment (evapo rust thermocure from summit) I wanted to post a couple of pics about it:

20170706_141227.jpg
when i drained and flushed with water, i thought i had milkshake, figured the treatment ate something and let motor oil in. i was pissed.

but then after a up to temp warm up to get the t stat open, the foam cleared up - i guess its just some flim flam left over from the additive.

so another drain, and another water flush:
20170706_144214.jpg
that sukka is clean as a whistle in there.

Back