My 76 New Yorker …

Giovanni1776

Reaction score
Hello ! So glad to have found this forum
Here’s my baby :) 76 NYer

I love driving her !

The only thing bothering me, it’s the little hesitation when taking off from a complete stop …

And the air doesn’t work.. no air vent, no windshield defrost, no ac .. I can press the dash knobs as much as I want .. nothing engage ..

IMG_6027.jpeg

IMG_4909.jpeg

IMG_6109.jpeg

IMG_6123.jpeg

IMG_2626.jpeg

IMG_2174.jpeg

IMG_2175.jpeg

Last edited:
Welcome Geo from NYC.. you’re in the right place to learn ALL you want to know about you car. Search the forums for any concerns or questions. I’m sure you’ll fine answers to most of what you’ve already mentioned..

Nice car, Nice garage , Nice post, welcome to the forum!!!!! :thumbsup::canada:

Thank you guys

It’s not my garage unfortunately

It’s the famous Nick’s garage (YouTube) the master of the 440 :)

Beautiful car! I had a similar problem with my Imperial's ATCII, though it's not fully fixed (I only have Hi-Lo defrost now), the problem I had was that the little tiny vacuum lines behind the dashboard were damaged. I had originally mistaken them for electrical wiring because of their size and colours. Make sure those are all in good condition and are connected. I'm not sure of a source for replacement if they're damaged, I need to go back to fix mine the right way, but I just patched them up with some heavy-duty heat shrink.

Thank you ! It’s good to know

I will focus on the hesitation when accelerating first .. I keep your message in mind

Your heater hoses are disconnected. Also the carburetor return spring is attached wrong, both spring attach to the the throttle stud. Too bad you're not closer, i could do a tune.

Your heater hoses are disconnected. Also the carburetor return spring is attached wrong, both spring attach to the the throttle stud. Too bad you're not closer, i could do a tune.
Can you circle ⭕️ the heater core ? So I can reconnect them ?

Thank you very much

Can you circle ⭕️ the heater core ? So I can reconnect them ?

Thank you very much
Sorry, I had miss typed I meant to type, "Are your heater hoses disconnected?" Follow the two hoses (garden hose size) from the water pump to your firewall, check that they are connected to heater core behind firewall.
Some times if the heater core is leaking, an owner will disconnect from heater core and loop under hood.

I have a 76 with a 440 and as I remember any vacuum leak can cause hesitation of idle and the cause can be broken vacuum lines from the AC as 1975.Imperial mentioned. Since yours doesn't work that may be the place to start. You can usually hear a vacuum leak under the dash, or feel it by putting a finger on a line and feeling the pull. Try to temporarily block any vacuum lines and see if your hesitation goes away. If memory serves me right, only the white line should be open to vacuum, but I may be wrong.
Then there could be a problem on the accelerator pump on the carb which could be adjusted if the rubber cup is not deteriorated

Last edited:
Turn up the metering rods in that carb and it'll cure your hesitation.
Vacuum that operates the A/C isn't a big enough leak to impact engine running.

Did I miss something?
Was this car returned to you from Nick's Garage with these issues?

Nick does not know very much about Thermoquads. I was yelling at the screen one night watching an episode with him and a Thermoquad.

My car just arrived in France
Unfortunately my door tag is barely readable

Since it’s mandatory here .. can you help me filling the blank spot ?

IMG_9436.jpeg

IMG_9435.jpeg

IMG_2211.jpeg

What do you mean by 'blank spot'? If you mean the areas on the tag that do not have a code, it simply means your car did not come with the code that goes in that particular place on the tag.

Also, your car is a good example of the Scheduled Production Date (SPD) not being accurate to the actual build day. Your car was built about a week before the scheduled date.

143766-down.jpeg

What do you mean by 'blank spot'? If you mean the areas on the tag that do not have a code, it simply means your car did not come with the code that goes in that particular place on the tag.

Also, your car is a good example of the Scheduled Production Date (SPD) not being accurate to the actual build day. Your car was built about a week before the scheduled date.

View attachment 650162

I was talking about the sticker on my doors
Some informations are missing

GVWR
GAWR
VIN
DATE OF MANUFACTURE

what would be the date of build ?
23 march ?

Back