My carpet fun

66furys

Reaction score
Got the carpet with mass backing, makes it quite heavy and not very pliable. I am thinking that next time not the heavy stuff. And, and, and, I want to try next time to get separate padding. I tried to remove the padding anywhere I had to drill, cut or need to be thin....but I missed some. When you try to cut thru the padding you will find it a nitemare, no matter what. By putting padding down first, this problem would go away, just use the spray adhesive, no sweat. Also, even though the heavy stuff is pre-formed, there are a few areas to mold.....which you can try with some heat on the rubber side.....but difficult to change. Overall, I am good with what I achieved, but it aint perfect. I have some lumps and raised areas that cannot go down but will not be a problem for my roadkill project. The wife said wow, so far now as the sill plates go back on, and the console will also hide some of the fitment. I would just go about it a bit differently next time.

That's the first honest user review for mass backing I've read.

I've stayed away from it because I expected the same results you got...

BTW, use an old soldering iron to make holes in the carpet and you might be able to use a heat gun (not a hair dryer) to get it to settle down where needed.

Thanks Big John....I was going to use a hot socket, but tried the reverse core drill, still pulled fiber, so just cut with a knife. Not sure if the hot job would go thru the jute pad or not....but I am at the end now.....aaargh. And, you are right on the heat gun, I was able to make SMALL adjusts in some crinks, but not much.

Back