My find of the day...

They definitely are domes....did you know there are different part numbers for the domes. Something different about the diameter. Maybe 5 on 5 for Imps. I don't thnk 14" road wheels were ever made. But I know for sure there are different part numbers and they are definitely different diameter configurations.

The different diameters for the domes are for either the 16 slot road wheel or the urethane road wheel most often seen on Cordobas. Regardless, the urethane domes fit on the 16 slot road wheel but not the other way around.

As for the 16 slot road wheel we know of the 70-74 domes that polara 71 showed. and then there is the 75-81 dome with the snap on cap. The Urethane wheel domes used the same snap on cap as they came out in 75 on the Cordoba.

Chrysler Corp never made any 5x5 domes for Imperials because steelies with wheel covers is all they offered for Imperials.

Here's pics of the two different diameter 75 and up domes. The one with the ring closing the stud cavities are for the 16 slot wheel, the ones without are for the urethane wheel.

download.jpg

download.jpg

Yes... In the parts book it shows domes, cap, retainer, but in the end when looking for a set or when at a show discussing wheels, " centers" is what is spoken.

Yes... In the parts book it shows domes, cap, retainer, but in the end when looking for a set or when at a show discussing wheels, " centers" is what is spoken.

Or road wheels hubs...

I have NEVER heard anyone ever use that term....consider it filed so I know what the guy is talking about that says it

Didn't we have a lesson on "hub cap" lingo and how it got started with wooden spokes wheels? I'm going to go stare at my 440 motor while looking at the rims I'm going to put on after I spin my posi 8 &3/4 over a few times.

Well my find of the day ended up not being much of one at all. The rockers were immaculate in this car, which led me to believe that there would be less rust rather than more rust.... Boy was I wrong. The windows must have leaked from day 1, so while the trunk 1/4's were better than most, and the lower rockers were great, the floor is completely gone. I pulled the carpet up and saw my driveway. Also has some frame damage in front of the a arms.

And before anyone asks, "didn't you check for rust"... Yes I did. I did the floor knock from under car, then knocked on the subframe (which is rust free oddly enough). I couldn't get in the cab because the doors were locked and no keys. It was about 3 degrees outside so I thought my checks were sufficient. At the end of the day, at absolute minimum I can scrap it for just about what I have in it

We've been there. Do what you need to do to minimize and loss.
I once flipped an E-100 in 24 hours once I got it into my dry driveway.
Not one of my prouder moments in life because of who I sold it to.

Based on the front vent windows and the fact that it's got a 400 motor, I'd guess that it's most likely not a police package car. Not impossible, but not likely. That being said, if you can post a picture of the upper door panels, and they are the taxi or police style, I'd be interested in helping recoup some of your purchase.

Back