My First Project Car. 68 New Yorker 2 door. Help Needed!

I also have a very nice carter AFB for 1964 383,426 & 413 engines, Just needs a Jiffy kit and a good cleaning, for $55.00 plus shipping.
DSC05121.JPG
DSC05123.JPG
DSC05125.JPG

Hello everyone! I'm a 22 year old car enthusiast that's always loved classics and just purchased my first old Mopar! It's a 1968 Chrysler New Yorker 2 door hard top with the 440 and I have a few questions. So the car apparently just needs a carburetor and I've seen a few people recommend a 750cfm carb from Holley or Edelbrock but I'm looking for someone who has experience with the 440 that could lead me in the right direction on a decent carb to get the car on the road again! The cheaper the better just something that won't starve my engine or anything. Also if anyone has any info on where I could find a 68 New Yorker front bumper and front left quarter? Thanks so much! - River

View attachment 351786
Hey, Congrats on the car! These '67/68 coupes are beautiful.
I have my parents' original and unmolested '68 300 (they bought it new June 1968!), and while its a 4 dr, it's tremendous. I have had the car since 1974 as dad then bought mom a new Chrysler. The coupes and convertibles are beautiful for '67/'68. Careful on parts interchange: I recall that the '68 300 fender is different than the NYer and Newport '68s. You can tell by how the leading edges of the fenders are shaped and by the front bumper contours. The 1968 300 maintains the '67 front bumper and fender lines; the Newport and NYer do not.

From my experience about the carbs....many, many years ago I replaced the OEM Holley 4160 due to a warped metering block. I recall this as being common to these carbs and I subsequently installed a "then" new 4160 and used it; that 440 is amazing! You're gonna love it! As time progressed likely lack of good use (this 300 was always a 2nd car for me) and eventual crap gasoline took its toll and over the years I did several home rebuilds on it; lastly, I took it to a very reputable carb shop locally (they do great work!) and they did a complete rebuild, more than my just replacing parts here at home. It ran great and then over time it started to fail. Hard starting, and other issues surfaced. I decide that trying to salvage this 4160 on a then 49 year old car was no longer worth the effort. I installed an Edlebrock 750 (Performer series, I think) with minimal issues; I used an electronic choke as well. The car is and has been now nothing short of amazing! NO issues on start up and the 440 runs like it never did before. I think the factory Holleys may have been underrated for that engine in the interest of fuel economy. I was so pleased with the Edlebrock on this 300 that I installed the same setup on my '64 Imperial, 413 CID. Same results.

I was told by my rebuilder that Chrysler Corp used proprietary specs on the 1968 Holley 4160's. I don't know how true this is but I can tell you that the Edlebrock runs like nothing else on this 300 and my Imperial. I also have a '61 300G 413 (2x4) cross ram and a '57 300C 392 hemi (2x4). They're fast, and the G is stupid fast with the ram. When I mention that the 440 is fast, even with its 2.76 rear (!) I'm not kidding....it really moves that car!! And this is not the magnum motor, just the standard factory 440. Of the three 300s the '68 is by far the nicest car to drive, but of course it's the newest in a matter of speaking.... You'll love that New Yorker! And as I indicated, this is from my experience... this '68 300 has been with me for a long time. Best of luck with project! bob

Hey, Congrats on the car! These '67/68 coupes are beautiful.
I have my parents' original and unmolested '68 300 (they bought it new June 1968!), and while its a 4 dr, it's tremendous. I have had the car since 1974 as dad then bought mom a new Chrysler. The coupes and convertibles are beautiful for '67/'68. Careful on parts interchange: I recall that the '68 300 fender is different than the NYer and Newport '68s. You can tell by how the leading edges of the fenders are shaped and by the front bumper contours. The 1968 300 maintains the '67 front bumper and fender lines; the Newport and NYer do not.

From my experience about the carbs....many, many years ago I replaced the OEM Holley 4160 due to a warped metering block. I recall this as being common to these carbs and I subsequently installed a "then" new 4160 and used it; that 440 is amazing! You're gonna love it! As time progressed likely lack of good use (this 300 was always a 2nd car for me) and eventual crap gasoline took its toll and over the years I did several home rebuilds on it; lastly, I took it to a very reputable carb shop locally (they do great work!) and they did a complete rebuild, more than my just replacing parts here at home. It ran great and then over time it started to fail. Hard starting, and other issues surfaced. I decide that trying to salvage this 4160 on a then 49 year old car was no longer worth the effort. I installed an Edlebrock 750 (Performer series, I think) with minimal issues; I used an electronic choke as well. The car is and has been now nothing short of amazing! NO issues on start up and the 440 runs like it never did before. I think the factory Holleys may have been underrated for that engine in the interest of fuel economy. I was so pleased with the Edlebrock on this 300 that I installed the same setup on my '64 Imperial, 413 CID. Same results.

I was told by my rebuilder that Chrysler Corp used proprietary specs on the 1968 Holley 4160's. I don't know how true this is but I can tell you that the Edlebrock runs like nothing else on this 300 and my Imperial. I also have a '61 300G 413 (2x4) cross ram and a '57 300C 392 hemi (2x4). They're fast, and the G is stupid fast with the ram. When I mention that the 440 is fast, even with its 2.76 rear (!) I'm not kidding....it really moves that car!! And this is not the magnum motor, just the standard factory 440. Of the three 300s the '68 is by far the nicest car to drive, but of course it's the newest in a matter of speaking.... You'll love that New Yorker! And as I indicated, this is from my experience... this '68 300 has been with me for a long time. Best of luck with project! bob
Thank you so much sir! That's great information!

The 4160 that came factory on the 440 is certainly unique from standard Holley 4160's. Over 2 decades ago when I had my first 68 NYer the only way I could find a rebuild kit for it was under marine use.

Hello,

I have a fender and bumper for you, but its in RI. If that's not too far away, let me know and Ill get you pics.

SA

Hello again,

The car has a 440 with a holley carb on it, but not sure if its original carb. I would part with that as well.
SA

Congrats on the car and best of luck with your project! Murray Park http://www.cbodies.com/ can help you with much of what you need. Fenders, trim, bumper, etc. Aside from that, Craig's list and ebay are also good places to search. I use SearchTempest: Search all of Craigslist nationwide & more to search all Craig's list locations at once. I recall there's a seller there with a 68 New Yorker that he's parting out. There's also a guy selling a set of 68 front fenders, but I tried to deal with him and it was not the smooth typical experience I'm used so I backed out and got a set from a really nice fella in FL.

It is so refreshing to see a young enthusiast starting a project (love the car)
sensibly, asking the right questions, and not going straight to, "What's the biggest tire I...."
:thankyou:

It is so refreshing to see a young enthusiast starting a project (love the car)
sensibly, asking the right questions, and not going straight to, "What's the biggest tire I...."
:thankyou:
Thanks! I grew up working on classics with my grandfather. When I was 10 I got paralyzed in a car accident and spent nearly 2 years in hospitals and rehab and shortly after I got out of the hospitals my grandfather passed away and left me with just memories of our old cars. I've spent the past 10 years looking for a beautiful classic with potential to restore. Something that would make him proud. I really appreciate all of you that comment because I haven't talked to anybody passionate about old cars since he's been gone. I can't wait until it's warmer here in Michigan so I can crawl in the engine bay and get to work!

Someone send this boy some parts!
I have the 1968 Holley for that car. Dana, the carb rebuilder mentioned above, built me a new carb using different parts becuase I have a stroker.
I will let you have the orginal carb and even send it to Dana for you. All you have to do is make a deal with him for a rebuild and then bolt it on.

Someone send this boy some parts!
I have the 1968 Holley for that car. Dana, the carb rebuilder mentioned above, built me a new carb using different parts becuase I have a stroker.
I will let you have the orginal carb and even send it to Dana for you. All you have to do is make a deal with him for a rebuild and then bolt it on.
That would be amazing and such a blessing! I would keep it on the New Yorker forever! I just really want it running and driving so I can cruise around thinking of my old memories with my papa. But then... Comes the body work!!

Just get it over here Cazman. We’ll take care of this young fella.

Back