My lens making thread.

do you need an nos lense to pull the mold from ? or just a old one ?
The better the quality of the lens you are making a mold from, the better the new lens. It doesn't have to be NOS, you don't really want a lens that you can feel the cracks, unless that is your best option. The imperfections can be buffed out of the new reproduction lens.

It seems the ‘67/8 Imperial reverse light lenses are hard to come by and I have a pair that appear to be NOS.

It seems the ‘67/8 Imperial reverse light lenses are hard to come by and I have a pair that appear to be NOS.

If you are willing to hold off on selling them, it is hard to pass up on NOS to made a mold. Thanks Matt.

DSC03345.JPG
zymurgy , i've got nos 67 300 tail lights lenses , would you want to pull a mold from them ?

View attachment 240285 zymurgy , i've got nos 67 300 tail lights lenses , would you want to pull a mold from them ?

Thanks, I definitely would be interested, I am probably at the point that I need to make some sales, before I open up my "catalog" too much. If you have a moment sometime, can you measure the length of your lens. I need to check again the maximum lens length I can make. The lens looks like it my be near my max for my pressure pot.

I found my old post. The longest lens I can make is 13 3/4"

BTW, making lenses will be easier when 3D printers are cheaper.

The resolution needed for translucent 3D printing isn't going to happen anytime soon and it sure isn't going to happen in the desktop consumer quality machines.

There is a stereolithographic process that can produce "clear" objects using liquid resins, but they require a lot of secondary polishing. It's a very time consuming process with a finished product that will be marginal in quality both in appearance and durability.

In short, 3D printing isn't what everyone seems to think it is. Molding is a economical process that produces quality parts.

The resolution needed for translucent 3D printing isn't going to happen anytime soon and it sure isn't going to happen in the desktop consumer quality machines.

There is a stereolithographic process that can produce "clear" objects using liquid resins, but they require a lot of secondary polishing. It's a very time consuming process with a finished product that will be marginal in quality both in appearance and durability.

In short, 3D printing isn't what everyone seems to think it is. Molding is a economical process that produces quality parts.

Plus if affordable 3D printing transparent colors ever comes around do you really think it will ever have the control I have for the exact color. I really doubt it, plus I agree the polishing process would be tedious and even impossible on some lenses.

Its number 6. :)

IMG_20180310_110408123.jpg

Plus if affordable 3D printing transparent colors ever comes around do you really think it will ever have the control I have for the exact color. I really doubt it, plus I agree the polishing process would be tedious and even impossible on some lenses.

Its number 6. :)

View attachment 240480
This is a good comparison of the resolution (layer thickness) and time needed. .10mm is about as good as it gets for desktop machines.

3d-printing-layer-height.jpg

Mike, do you have decent door handle gaskets you can work with to reproduce those?

I was just thinking about those the other day. I don't even have a good set myself. If I remember correctly my driver's door was ok but my passenger door handle was actual missing part of it. Where they the same for all slab body styles?

I was just thinking about those the other day. I don't even have a good set myself. If I remember correctly my driver's door was ok but my passenger door handle was actual missing part of it. Where they the same for all slab body styles?

They were unique to the '65/'66 Chryslers. I bought an NOS one for my car (probably the last one left) and installed it but I can't remember what side it was.

@Zymurgy, You gotta be happy with the progress you made in just 1 year.
Reading through your posts, with the trials and errors you went through, and the solutions you came up with to make a better product, has to make you feel good.
The end result of your efforts will pay off, and will make a lot people that need those unobtainium lens very happy.
Very nice work indeed.:thumbsup:

Thank you @FURYGT he sent me NOS right side tail lights for a 66 300 for me to replicate. Now I will be able to sell a full set.

First mold box is made.

20190112_163237.jpg

Agree, the 67/68 Imp reverse lenses are often broken, or have gone cloudy.

Agree, the 67/68 Imp reverse lenses are often broken, or have gone cloudy.

It looks like there is some interest it this lens I am presuming it is a pretty simple lens and my price would reflect that. Pictures?

Back