My New Ride - 67 Newport Custom

Gorgeous car!
One of my favorite mopar colors. We had the 4dr same colors that year and a 68 Charger same colors the next year. Pics in my “photo garage”.
And i prefer the trim rings on a C body correct or not they just look a little more formal IMO.

STOP, before you change the trunk paint, find out if any other cars are like yours. I have a 1968 NewYorker, trunk never painted, has carpet which is original and the floor is the same as your!
DSC04542.JPG
DSC04543.JPG
DSC04541.JPG
DSC04541.JPG

Goldmyn, it looks like your car has the cardboard side panels in the trunk which may have meant that cars so ordered got carpet.

My trunks have all been spatter painted all the way across too. I've seen both ways.

Nice. This may be a stupid question but what is the round thing with the green wire on the driver's fender in near the master cylinder?
As a couple of other folks have noted, that's an aftermarket cruise control unit. As part of the paperwork I have the receipt from when it was installed. It was put on in 1983, and get this, it was installed by Montgomery Ward Auto Service! I'll bet you haven't heard of them in quite some time. Also, the car had 97k miles on it at the time, and it has 108k on it now. The car has only been driven 11k since 1983, and I put 1000 of those miles on it in the last month.

STOP, before you change the trunk paint, find out if any other cars are like yours. I have a 1968 NewYorker, trunk never painted, has carpet which is original and the floor is the same as your!View attachment 211226 View attachment 211227 View attachment 211228 View attachment 211228
Thanks very much, Goldmyn, that's helpful info. Your floor looks just like mine, and the carpet too. My car was built later in the 67 model year so maybe there was a change over in the process somewhere in there.

Gorgeous car!
One of my favorite mopar colors. We had the 4dr same colors that year and a 68 Charger same colors the next year. Pics in my “photo garage”.
And i prefer the trim rings on a C body correct or not they just look a little more formal IMO.
Thanks, and I have to say I agree with you about the Magnum 500s with trim rings. Maybe they are not correct for the year, but IMO I prefer the look.

Barry, that's a beautiful car you've got there. I've owned 2 67 Newports and also a 67 Newport Custom 4 door hardtop, I think it was a spring special, all blue with a blue vinyl top, which is not offered according to sales catalog. Great cars!! Best of luck with yours!!!

STOP, before you change the trunk paint, find out if any other cars are like yours. I have a 1968 NewYorker, trunk never painted, has carpet which is original and the floor is the same as your!View attachment 211226 View attachment 211227 View attachment 211228 View attachment 211228

It could be the photos but the spatter paint appears to be a lighter shade than what is in your car.

My recall is that carpet for the trunk was an option on the Newports, which is why I did not mention it.

Thanks much for the detailed feedback, I really appreciate it. I didn't know the details on the correct painting in the trunk. I could be wrong but I also think the floor covering in the trunk isn't correct, it's carpet and most that I've seen are not.

I'm aware that the rims aren't correct for that year but I like the look so I think I'll stay with them. The things that look like bolts are actually inflation valves for air shocks (I figured I'd hear about those! :) ). That's another reason the car really isn't a survivor. I've seem Mel's info on what constitutes a survivor, and spoke briefly to him at the Mopar Nats. My car is close but probably wouldn't meet his level of correctness. And thanks again for the voltage regulator, it's working great!

Again, really appreciate the feedback. The expertise on this site is truly amazing!

Barry, If it were my car, I would also keep the wheels you put on it.

Based on my knowledge of Mel Major's definition of a survivor (of which I own two) your car meets the definition. The air shock valves are covered by the carpet and you could move the lines to a different location if you wanted. You might get flack about the aftermarket cruise control unit but many of the cars displayed as survivors are shown with there hoods closed and if your cruise control works, it makes the car so much more enjoyable on a long trip that I would leave it. I look forward to seeing your car some day.

Newports should have the heavy rubber trunk mat. Carper was for New Yorkers. A model-specific situation, I believe. The mat in my '67 CE23 is different from the one in the '66 CL42. We got the '66 in Fall, '67 and I got the '67 in 1981.

I always did like the Newport Custom's additional side and deck lid trim over the normal Newport. The black vinyl roof adds to that effect!

The rubber mats back there CAN trap moisture in the sheet metal beads, from temp changes, over time. Just as rubber/vinyl floor mats in the passenger compartment can, by observation.

Great color combination and such!

Enjoy!
CBODY67

CHRYSLER__1967_NEWPORT CUSTOM_CL23_MAG 500_tumblr_niuqgg0zEm1tyaf2qo1_500.jpg

From the '67 dealership book:

67_Chrysler_Features_Options_0017.jpg

But... Leave the carpet. The rubber one does trap moisture and the carpet is just plain nicer.

I agree, you have a gorgeous car. Welcome to the site and I hope you have many years of cruising enjoyment with it. Like many here, I also love the color!

Back