My new trailer

patrick66

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
A couple of years back, I was building a teardrop camper with a new frame and a 1946 shell. Once I realized that a) I was never gonna finish it and b) it was gonna be too small for my wife and I to actually enjoy, I sold off the shell and decided to built a 4x8 cargo trailer, instead. The guy who built the tubular frame for me, added the sides, end and tailgate for me; as my welding skills exist, but definitely suck. The front and tailgate are steel panels from my old '41 Plymouth pickup. The sides are new metal. Once it was welded up, I then painted it with a unique scheme where if some ******* decides to steal it, it's going to be extremely difficult to camoflage this in any sense, regardless of now it was repainted. I do need to get real trailer tires for it, as I hate using passenger car tires on any trailer. The chrome reverse wheels are off an old Hudson I had, and are over 50 years old. The tires on it are "maypops", so new tires are a must for this. The tailgate drops down. The floor is 5/8" marine plywood, and the inside is painted in bedliner spray material. The trailer has a kind of Sooner/OSU Cowboy/Denver Bronco vibe going...!

So, whatcha think?

box trailer 1.jpg

Nice! Looks better than all those me too trailers in the lots up and the road and I am sure it is a lot more satisfying to build than to buy. Cool how you incorporated so many items that have some history to them. Especially like the OSU reference!

Love the custom paint scheme although not quite as fun as one I did for my Dad a few years back - I borrowed a 6x8 homemade one for a couple weeks and since the paint was pretty shot I painted it before I took it back......... starboard side was bright green, port side bright red, front yellow and the tongue was a combination of all three leftovers. Gave him a big surprise and amazingly only took him a couple weeks to repaint it white.

A couple of years back, I was building a teardrop camper with a new frame and a 1946 shell. Once I realized that a) I was never gonna finish it and b) it was gonna be too small for my wife and I to actually enjoy, I sold off the shell and decided to built a 4x8 cargo trailer, instead. The guy who built the tubular frame for me, added the sides, end and tailgate for me; as my welding skills exist, but definitely suck. The front and tailgate are steel panels from my old '41 Plymouth pickup. The sides are new metal. Once it was welded up, I then painted it with a unique scheme where if some ******* decides to steal it, it's going to be extremely difficult to camoflage this in any sense, regardless of now it was repainted. I do need to get real trailer tires for it, as I hate using passenger car tires on any trailer. The chrome reverse wheels are off an old Hudson I had, and are over 50 years old. The tires on it are "maypops", so new tires are a must for this. The tailgate drops down. The floor is 5/8" marine plywood, and the inside is painted in bedliner spray material. The trailer has a kind of Sooner/OSU Cowboy/Denver Bronco vibe going...!

So, whatcha think?

View attachment 125115
You made it too nice... I would beat that pretty trailer into ugly the first year.:poke:

I do hate that your old trailer never showed up, hopefully Karma will catch up to them in a way you get to enjoy it.

Very nice trailer!

No luck finding the scoundrel that stole your trailer?

Now you need a Harley to put on it.
Cooper has a plant in Tupelo, MS.
Yokohama has a plant in West Point, MS.

Never even thought about H-D, the resemblance with the colors is purely unintentional. I don't ride, anyway. To me, it ended up looking much like an old U-Haul trailer!

Very nice trailer!

No luck finding the scoundrel that stole your trailer?

Yup. I still picture him/her/it hauling a stolen car on my stolen trailer, behind their stolen pickup as they crash into a bridge abutment, turning into a giant ball of flames that consume their meth-riddled bodies into charred remnants of wasted, human flesh that smells like a cross between bacon and a fried hairball; the thieving bastard's screams for help ignored as people stop to take cellphone video of his last gasps of smoky, fuel-filled air, eyes bulging in disbelief as his putrid soul oozes from his body to continue burning for an eternity in Hell...

Or, something like that. I can dream, right?

Yup. I still picture him/her/it hauling a stolen car on my stolen trailer, behind their stolen pickup as they crash into a bridge abutment, turning into a giant ball of flames that consume their meth-riddled bodies into charred remnants of wasted, human flesh that smells like a cross between bacon and a fried hairball; the thieving bastard's screams for help ignored as people stop to take cellphone video of his last gasps of smoky, fuel-filled air, eyes bulging in disbelief as his putrid soul oozes from his body to continue burning for an eternity in Hell...

Or, something like that. I can dream, right?
It's good to see you're over that incident.

And the new trailer looks better than any U haul POS I've ever seen.

Speaking of car haulers, a buddy called me from out of the blue that I hadn't seen in maybe five years. He has a '70 Road Runner he bought new, and is one amazing car! He asked me if I would be interested in his car hauler...oh, hell, yeah!!! His was built in 1985, has nice ramps, and a big fiberglass air dam on the front! Needs paint and tires, as its been stored outside its whole life. Got a great deal! Towed it home today. It's going IN the shop, since it'll fit very nicely in a spot I just cleared for it. Happy days, baby!

Last edited:
Id love to have a trailer, I would use it too little and it would become a headache

First big thing on the car hauler is going to be checking the wheel bearings. I didn't see that it had brakes at all, as it has a four-pin connector versus a six- or seven-pin. If it needs brakes, I'll add just to the rear axle, for the time being. Oklahoma law requires brakes on just one axle on a tandem under #7,500 GVW. Next step will be the wiring. Since it's been outside for many years, there is no telling what might be living under it, if anything at all. If the wiring is good, I'll replace the lights with updated LEDs. After that, tires are a must. Although bias-plies tend to weather better than radials in the Sun, these are sun-cracked along the sidewalls. I've had fantastic luck with bias over the years on trailers, and plan on sticking with that plan here. Stock Chrysler 15" x 6" wheels are on it, with 6.25x15 10-ply trailer tires. I've got some '70 cop caps that are going on this.

As far as a paint scheme goes, I want to do something like Richard Rawlins (Gas Monkey) has on his flatbed. He has his logo on the deck of his hauler, and it's pretty obvious whose trailer that is! I'm going to paint my last name in BIG letters along the length of the trailer deck! Six feet by three feet each! Nice thing about having a short name! No way in Hell a cop or anyone else can't help but see that, even with a car on it! I've got a couple of other ID methods in mind, too, that I didn't utilize on my previous hauler.

Last edited:
First big thing on the car hauler is going to be checking the wheel bearings. I didn't see that it had brakes at all, as it has a four-pin connector versus a six- or seven-pin. If it needs brakes, I'll add just to the rear axle, for the time being. Oklahoma law requires brakes on just one axle on a tandem under #7,500 GVW. Next step will be the wiring. Since it's been outside for many years, there is no telling what might be living under it, if anything at all. If the wiring is good, I'll replace the lights with updated LEDs. After that, tires are a must. Although bias-plies tend to weather better than radials in the Sun, these are sun-cracked along the sidewalls. I've had fantastic luck with bias over the years on trailers, and plan on sticking with that plan here. Stock Chrysler 15" x 6" wheels are on it, with 6.25x15 10-ply trailer tires. I've got some '70 cop caps that are going on this.

As far as a paint scheme goes, I want to do something like Richard Rawlins (Gas Monkey) has on his flatbed. He has his logo on the deck of his hauler, and it's pretty obvious whose trailer that is! I'm going to paint my last name in BIG letters along the length of the trailer deck! Six feet by three feet each! Nice thing about having a short name! No way in Hell a cop or anyone else can't help but see that, even with a car on it! I've got a couple of other ID methods in mind, too, that I didn't utilize on my previous hauler.
???

100713_4992.jpg

Glad a replacement found you.:thumbsup:

Painting something a ridiculous color helps keep it from getting stolen. I've considered that very option.
I've tried it with tools... it doesn't work well as a deterrent.:(
It does make it easier to find the SOB who has your stuff so you can go neuter them.:)

In a sea full of black (and a few red) trailers, anymore you have to personalize the hell out of a trailer to keep it. A thief will get whatever if the little bastard wants it bad enough. Nothing is theft-proof. I want to make it a real pain in the *** to get it out of my hands.

Back