My Parent's '65 Newport.

Snotty

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I finally did it; I got down the old photo album which contains the only pictrues I ahve of my parent's '65 Newport. A four-door hardtop with 383 HP. It had PS and Brakes; AC was the only other option; everything else was base.

Funny, after all these years I was shocked to see it had poverty caps. I always thought it had the full wheel covers. It did have the 383 HP engine; even had the power steering cooler.

Sorry about the grainy pictures. I took these with my cell phone of small photos in the book. The color one is of me and my Sister, somewhere between '65-'69 when they sold the car.

20210208_104204.jpg
20210208_104249.jpg
20210208_104222.jpg

Great photos, thank you for sharing them! For your own records, it would be worth getting a proper high-quality scan of the photos. To tempt you into doing so, see how good the high-definition scans are at fuselage.de -- @ceebuddy's well-organized and super-helpful site.

Great period photos - I have lookandlookandlooked, but sadly no photos of the '67 Fury (2-door hardtop) the inspiration behind my slab-side affinity) my parents had could be found. I remembered being VERY sad in 1971 when they traded it in on a Chevrolet Impala....…..

Your folks chose well in the option dept. "Poverty" caps aren't bad, and with wheels that match the body, and whitewalls, they look less impoverished...……..

I agree, the Chrysler hub caps with whitewalls is a different, but nice, look. Especially on a white car with whitewalls and white wheels.

Thanks for posting,
CBODY67

Great photos, thank you for sharing them! For your own records, it would be worth getting a proper high-quality scan of the photos. To tempt you into doing so, see how good the high-definition scans are at fuselage.de -- @ceebuddy's well-organized and super-helpful site.
I've thought about it but I would have to take them out of the photo album if I did. The page cover would never stick again, nor would the pictures stay in place. Learned this by removing another photo from it once.

In the top picture you can see a Motorhome in the background. That was a 1965 Open Road, one of the first. The owner, Mr. Carter, drove it every day to his job at McClellan Field in East Sac. They did not have another car. Mrs. Carter did not drive.

So special to me, as my Grandma had a 1965 Plymouth Fury the same color. My sister and I rode around St. Louis in it. I am now the proud owner of that car.

Bet you wish you could find that old Newport!

Bet you wish you could find that old Newport!
We knew where it was up to ten years after it sold. The people who bought it attended a Church on 47th Avenue for years. My Mom always said, "There's my car!" I finally said, "You chose to sell it; I wish you'd quit lamenting about it."

I have dreamt that I found it and bought it.

I have dreamt that I found it and bought it.

Have you ever attempted to find it? It might still exist.

Years ago my dad and uncle tracked down a '78 Trans Am that my uncle had sold or traded in '80-81 starting with nothing more than an old registration from the car. I think they got a PI involved for a few $100. Either way the car was found living/rotting in a trailer park about an hour away.

Have you ever attempted to find it? It might still exist.
In a small way, yes. In the early '80s I did a Ride-Along with the Sac County Sherriff's Office. While on patrol I used the computer to search for the license plate; it did not come up. But really, I'm not one of these guys that go looking for a car they sold years ago. The only one I'd really be interested in finding, and I still have the VIN, is the '70 Challenger I owned. But since the guy I sold it to was going to toss the 225 for another (boring) 440, I wouldn't want it anyway.

I have been curious about the '87 Ramchanger I owned.

That's a neat car with the interesting mix of options.

Sad to say, it's likely been recycled many moons ago. 1965-66 Newport 4 door hardtops didn't seem to survive all that well for some odd reason.

It's likely you could find something out about the Ramcharger by running a CarFax or AutoCheck. It wouldn't be worth the money for the single report, but keep it in mind if you are ever using one of the services for some other newer car that you're checking into.

Back when Carfax wasn't so stingy, they would offer unlimited reports for a month for around $40, and I ran reports on all the cars I had sold at my short-lived used car business, and it was interesting to see what had gone on during the three years since I sold them.

Jeff

Your neighbor drove an RV as his daily driver...how crazy is that??? Very cool pictures; even cooler story. Thank you for sharing this memory with the board - I love reading stuff like this!

Back