My unexpected Hurst 300 Find

I had great success with using acetone in small squares 2" or 3" as it evaporates quickly. I would use the small disposable brushes, rub, wipe, repeat.
This first pic is the start of removing paint from original leather, someone in Tux's past thought spraying the interior white would freshen it up. Uugh.
1707921173421.jpeg
1707921338177.jpeg
1707921472848.jpeg
1707921504867.jpeg

Last edited:
This what was under some crappy paint after the acetone with the disposable brush. I then used plastic/vinyl primer and SEM to finish. No harm done to the plastic or the original paint on the metal trim from the acetone. I did not have to repaint the metal trim as it came up so clean.

1707920718134.jpeg
1707920747218.jpeg
1707920785392.jpeg
1707920818602.jpeg
1707920879855.jpeg
1707920912827.jpeg
1707920941707.jpeg
1707921026857.jpeg
1707921086696.jpeg

Thanks Trace, that gives me some good feed back. My concern was the best quality dye or paint that didn't have too heavy a spray pattern and build up on the surface.
As I recall, the SEM stuff sprays a bit thin, which is good. Multiple coats, etc. I used it for the BLACK door pulls that @70 Sport Suburban provided to me. As you can see, it's a better shade than the repro armrests from ABC Moparts!

1707920973661.jpeg

As I recall, the SEM stuff sprays a bit thin, which is good. Multiple coats, etc. I used it for the BLACK door pulls that @70 Sport Suburban provided to me. As you can see, it's a better shade than the repro armrests from ABC Moparts!

View attachment 644283
The repops are the correct original color. The door panel vinyl may be original, but it is faded.

The repops are the correct original color. The door panel vinyl may be original, but it is faded.
That door panel is not original and not quite the correct color. IMHO, the color is close enough that most won't notice and also more pleasing to the eye. Mine is also done in that color.

Note the physical differences. I found a nice pic of an original white panel.
1707929671962.png

Here is a kicker that I need an answer to. What color are the front bucket seat backs supposed to be painted. Is it the saddle Tan or the hurst gold. Is there an exact paint color code that supports this. I just want to restore this w/ no mistakes. I started to clean them and a lot of color came off w/ the dirt.
I'm not sure what the color actually is. The console in my car, along with a few other pieces I believe came from a 300Hurst that was parted out years ago. It was originally tan but had that gold color sprayed on it.

NCM_0687_zpseyhrz0np.jpg

Here you can see that the compartment wasn't painted. I can't say 100% this is correct, but this is what I believe is right...

Funny, I took these pics a few years ago just in case anyone ever asked. That said, anything cosmetic from my car is not what I would call "reference original".

NCM_0691_zpsxf5jtfzp.jpg

That door panel is not original and not quite the correct color. IMHO, the color is close enough that most won't notice and also more pleasing to the eye. Mine is also done in that color.

Note the physical differences. I found a nice pic of an original white panel.

Indeed, my door panels are not originals....no chrome trim like Big_John's picture. In fact, I added the "300" emblems and the pulls, otherwise they were VERY plain when I got the car in 2018. (pic below) My whole interior was redone in 1998 by the second owner by some upholstery shop in Texas, long before anyone was thinking "concours original" for an old car from New Mexico with what was probably a VERY sunburnt interior. But they did pretty good, considering.

As for the SEM, that's their paint on the pull handle and it's miles from the ABC armrest. Which one is most correct? Dunno. But I thought "we" were big on the SEM stuff as being correct.

And as I mentioned above, if we could examine a Hurst (or any other saddle Chrysler) that has been in a dark, climate-controlled warehouse for 54 years, I'm betting we would see an assortment of shades in that interior.

Plain Jane!
1707934677919.jpeg

But I thought "we" were big on the SEM stuff as being correct.
I don't believe "we" ever stated that. You can get SEM custom mixed, but the places that mix SEM paint are few and far between. The SEM is very a good interior paint though. There are other options that may be better color wise.

My color comprehension isn't the best, especially with browns and reds, so I'm really the wrong guy to ask. (I used to have a brown shirt until Mrs. Big John informed me it was actually maroon). So keep that in mind when I talk about color.

These images that @Trace 300 Hurst posted are of my car. The color of the seats (Legendary sourced by a previous owner) are closer to the original color of the door panels (I think) and my door panels are actually SEM 15173 Camel color. As my door panels had already been painted before I had it, I went back and forth on the color, finally deciding on the camel as being a nicer color, matching the convertible top. I did come close with another color, but my color consultant (Mrs. Big John) said it looked awful and referred to it as "Baby **** brown", so I went with the camel. I was going to dye the seats, but the slight mismatch in color looked pretty good.

I also sprayed the dash and console with SEM camel.

I had spray out cards of the different colors, but I think I finally tossed them. The SEM color chart is good, but get the real chart... Don't depend on the color settings of your monitor.

1707936929764.png

1707936975942.png

1707937005376.png

Does anyone know the breakdown of floorshift vs column shift cars ?

Does anyone know the breakdown of floorshift vs column shift cars ?
AFAIK it was very few, maybe 18 or so, but that's likely tribal knowledge and hearsay. When it comes to the Hurst, I do know that very few were ordered by a private buyer, thus very few had the options of cruise, headlight sentinel, console, clock, or chrome tips. It was already an expensive (and weird) car, so dealers didn't want their allotments to have these add-ons. Also consider that the console makes it a five passenger car instead of a roomy six, so there's that to keep most private buyers from ordering it.

Another hearsay tidbit: some of the first cars had crank windows (I've never seen one), but when the overstuffed Imperial seats were all the way forward in a "small" Chrysler, you couldn't turn the crank. All subsequent cars had power windows.

Also, I don't know if it was NOT optional, but I've never seen one without AC. It's possible that someone somewhere in the north ordered one without it....don't know for sure.

When I grabbed those pics from my files, I thought that 'vert might have been your car because it sure wasn't a Hurst. I have more assorted interior pics showing assorted hues and shades, but ehhhh.....I get my own point. :stop:
@Big_John (I used to have a brown shirt until Mrs. Big John informed me it was actually maroon) :rofl:

I guess I didn't know about the SEM Camel. When I bought the last of the very nice repro "Hurst' seat track covers from ABC, they came in a surprising brown (Camel??) instead of the saddle I was expecting. Maybe ask Mrs. Big_John about the color in this pic:

1707942949767.jpeg

Late to the post here, but congratulations on your Hurst David! Hope to see it at Carlisle next year, (as I unfortunately can’t make it this year.) You definitely got a winner there.

I was watching the recent Graveyard S16/E15 (M-O-O-N Spells Orange) last night, and lo and behold Mark did a serious segment on the big variation of color and texture in all sorts of interior parts. He speaks about different dye lots, different vendors and different materials that show differing colors and shades....much like we've been talking about here the past few days. He demonstrates with an assortment of orange parts that look a little different, even on the television. His point is that if everything matches perfectly, it's over-restored. :wideyed: He then goes on to show how he's learned to mix his own brews to approximate the sheens and surface textures of our various Mopars. Interesting and informative. [For a change!]

IMG_2299.JPG
IMG_2300.JPG
IMG_2301.JPG
IMG_2303.JPG
IMG_2304.JPG
IMG_2305.JPG

Last edited:
I was watching the recent Graveyard S16/E15 (M-O-O-N Spells Orange) last night, and lo and behold Mark did a serious segment on the big variation of color and texture in all sorts of interior parts. He speaks about different dye lots, different vendors and different materials that show differing colors and shades....much like we've been talking about here the past few days. He demonstrates with an assortment of orange parts that look a little different, even on the television. His point is that if everything matches perfectly, it's over-restored. :wideyed: He then goes on to show how he's learned to mix his own brews to approximate the sheens and surface textures of our various Mopars. Interesting and informative. [For a change!]

View attachment 644502View attachment 644503View attachment 644504View attachment 644505View attachment 644506View attachment 644507
Thanks Trace for the info on dyes and the differences between each.

Is this salvageable. My OEM heater control valve has begun to leak coolant. The housing parts appear to be in excellent condition w/ no cracks. Response at the dash controls is spot on. The rub is where to get gaskets to repair it. Are there any underlining failures I need to look for. If it didn't work so well I would just replace it w/ a all steel unit. The steel units just don't perform well as they have less than desired sensitivity at the dash controls.

DSC01140.JPG

DSC01141.JPG

DSC01142.JPG

See my post below. Hope you have better luck. Supposedly, the later mopar steel ones work, but those are $175. And after trying a number of alternatives which all failed, I went with a manual one.

When I grabbed those pics from my files, I thought that 'vert might have been your car because it sure wasn't a Hurst. I have more assorted interior pics showing assorted hues and shades, but ehhhh.....I get my own point. :stop:
@Big_John (I used to have a brown shirt until Mrs. Big John informed me it was actually maroon) :rofl:

I guess I didn't know about the SEM Camel. When I bought the last of the very nice repro "Hurst' seat track covers from ABC, they came in a surprising brown (Camel??) instead of the saddle I was expecting. Maybe ask Mrs. Big_John about the color in this pic:

View attachment 644345
20yrs ago, I found Ford Thunderbird steel covers are very similar. (forgot which yr). Bought from junkyard for $20. Painted SEM (had to paint almost entire interior SEM from sitting in junkyard for decades). SEM Interior paint still looks great.

No one notices. My car will never win any awards, so no reason to put a ton of money in it.

Back